Poll: What say you?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Story>Mechanics>Graphics
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

I like 'em.They also tend to age better than ultra realistic stuff.

Deleted
    I dont really care either way if the gameplay is nice. Cartoonish games also age much better than games with "realistic graphics". I would probably say that I like more realistic graphics than cartoonish though. I love guild wars and the graphics dont look that bad even today imo. Wow and lol graphics are done pretty well though and theyre great examples that cartoonish games can look great. Its all about the gameplay though.

Depends what it is...in this day and age, a lot of things still look better with the cartoonish style, particularly MMOs and anything involving magic, etc. For shooters in particular, I do want realism in this day and age; it's quite awesome playing a FPS game and feeling like you are actually there and in danger...of course having good sound and things helps to go with it. I suppose if I wanted to play a serious racer like Gran Turismo that pretty pictures would make it more awesome, as well. For anything else, I don't care.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the time yes, Examples include Wind waker and obviously WoW. They Just don't get ''Old''

I like great games.

In my opinion cartoon-y games are easier to look at for longer periods of time, that could be the softer color palette used.

GW2 does screw with my eyes, but that could be the FoV.

a game can be "cartoony" and good or "cartoony" and bad i don't think the "cartoonyness" of a game could make a good game bad or a bad game good.

I like both. I don't have a preference. As long as the game is good, the looks only add to it.

I don't mind much either way, some of my favourite games are realistic looking and I also play WoW which is your "cartoony" looking things. However, when it comes to older games, cartoony looking ones hold up a bit better because it doesn't age much. When it comes to anime style rpgs anyway they hold up nicely.

10+ Year Old Account
    And ya know what, I'm addicted to Trine at the moment. That game is amazing.

Point is, its a cartoony side scroller fairy tale and I'm loving it.

Hell, the game began with "once upon a time"
    Putin khuliyo

I prefer toonish style, mostly because games that are cartoonish tend to have a sense of humor while games that go for realistic and intense graphics tend to be more serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Story>Mechanics>Graphics
    Agreed though I'd change it slightly to making the Story and mechanics equal to each other(mechanics possibly being slightly more important) since you can only go so far with a great story. As for graphics I'm fairly indifferent between the Realistic or Stylized art styles as long as they don't feel out of place and the other two game elements aren't neglected.

I don't really care as I enjoy both so I voted for the 3rd one.

It's annoying that you added an insult to those who prefer realistic graphics to try dissuade people from voting for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't say I prefer cartoony games, but there are scenarios where that aesthetic really works (the Warcraft universe, for example). On the other hand, some franchises would have been worse if done in a cartoony style; Grand Theft Auto would have gone from being a John Singleton film to being a Wayans brothers movie.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care, but I do prefer games that aren't so cartoony. WoW's graphics, for example, have become annoying to me of late.

Deleted
    Cartoony or stylized graphics is a very broad term to be honest, I absolutely love it as long as it is NOT overdone.

Don't have a preference per se but I do have a soft spot for 2D and cel-shaded graphics.
    Because ten billion
    years' time is so fragile
    so ephemeral…
    it arouses such a
    bittersweet,
    almost heartbreaking fondness.

I like the games with unique artstyle like most of Blizzard's games.

Deleted
    The gameplay and fun is important for me ... but if i have to choose, i prefer realistic graphics

Deleted
    Depends very much on the aesthetic they go with. There's certain I don't find appealing at all, while others are beautiful.