Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why does it matter? Why should we be looking at a candidates ability to relate to ordinary people? Ordinary people DON'T become President/Chancellor/ etc. We need someone who is EXCEPTIONAL. Romney may not be the president people want, but he may be the President we need (to fix the economy) and the President we deserve (he won't use soft measures to fix said economy).

I refuse to support 4 more years of Obama.
    Voting for the independent as a republican voter is, in fact, a vote for Obama
    I will be voting for Romney because I am tired of the inflation of the Welfare state.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

It's impossible to remove religion from this argument as it's basically half of what Romney is. It's really pretty much the structure that presidents base their terms on lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because he's a human being. Duh.

Same reason a black guy raised by a white mother outside of the US can relate to a white guy raised by a white mother in the US.

It's sad that Obama supporters have to use things like Romney can't relate; which is funny coming from a President who does not understand the economic plight of the American people.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

To the OP.

Here is my argument for Mitt Romney why he is NOT out of touch:

#1 REASON: WEALTH

The only reason his net worth is "attached" to his "identity" is because the media made such a big deal about it. Every president's net worth was either known at one point or easily accessible to the public. Some things are just common knowledge such as: Bush owned the Texas Rangers, Reagan was a movie actor, the Kennedy estate was worth hundreds of millions. There have only been a small handful of presidents whose net worth has been less than a million. Barrack Obama's net worth is 5-10 million dollars, why isn't he considered out of touch?

Presidential Net Worth List: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_825939.html

- In case you didn't know, most of Romney's worth is tied up in investments. Whenever an investment makes money in the United States you pay a rate of 15% on that money. Therefore, Romney when paying "only 15%", is merely a man paying his taxes. No average man part of the ambiguous group "the people" pays more money on their taxes than they owe. Just because Romney pays taxes doesn't make him out of touch. If anything it sounds like you have a problem with the capital gains rate which is a different debate.

#2 REASON: FLIP FLOP

Everyone slips up and contradicts themselves. Mitt Romney is not a young man, he's had decades to say things and then say things later that might possibly contradict something he said previously. This isn't a crime and heaven forbid he should change his mind.

Anyways, this doesn't make him out of touch for a main reason: 40% of Americans now identify as independent. Independent voters do not stick to one set of dogmatic beliefs like liberals and conservatives do which would actually make him more agreeable in the eyes of independents which now outweigh liberals (31%) and conservatives (27%) by a significant margin.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/151943/re...ependents.aspx

So while the occasional mind change or bad comment might not be good for someone looking for a cradle to grave ideologue, the willingness to change opinion and be open to new ideas as situations evolve would actually put him in good graces with independents.

#3 REASON: BUSINESS MAN

Romney ran a successful business for many years so he understands the economy. Since he was in business (unlike Obama) he knows how workers work and feel and what they expect. He can sympathize with the plight of the average worker. He knows what a bad economy means to businesses and to average people. He knows how employers feel and how investment companies are operating right now. This would actually put him very in touch with the main issue on the American people's minds right now which is the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by strossus001 View Post
    It's impossible to remove religion from this argument as it's basically half of what Romney is. It's really pretty much the structure that presidents base their terms on lol.
    uh... I don't know why religion needs to be brought up at all. The left brings it up.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf775 View Post
    uh... I don't know why religion needs to be brought up at all. The left brings it up.
    Yes I can't remember the last time the right wing made a major deal out of a political opponent's religious beliefs.

Can any politician relate to ordinary people anymore ?
    Doubtful many of them can.
    Those people get to where they are by being ruthless, not by being considerate to the needs of others.
    Unfortunately politics is about outdoing the opposition, about making the most noise.
    For whose familliar with UK politics, just watch any debate in the House of Lords.
    I see more mature behaviour in school playgrounds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blikz1 View Post
    First of all, change your hostile attitude, secondly do not be a biased gawd bless america stereotype, third, listen to a video i've made some time ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSX741GVlk&feature=plcp
    Typical leftie, assuming every right-winger is an American.

Presidential candidates don't relate to people, they relate to ideology.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a lot of nothing going on here within a bunch of religious stuff. Please use the Republican sticky to discuss Romney.