Thread: graphics card

10+ Year Old Account

graphics card

so i get the graphics card isn't compatible with and will not boot up at all error. was wondering if someone might be able to recommend like the cheapest compatible graphics card? i also play wow which is more important at the moment so i'd want the card to not interfere with my being able to continue to play it. i saw there was a great long list of graphics cards that aren't compatible, i don't know if it's simply an age factor or something else as i am not tech savvy. with that said would it also just be a plug and play situation or would i have to deal with software and such too?

i'm on a dell that's a couple of years old and could try and give more information if it would help. any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
    so i get the graphics card isn't compatible with and will not boot up at all error. was wondering if someone might be able to recommend like the cheapest compatible graphics card? i also play wow which is more important at the moment so i'd want the card to not interfere with my being able to continue to play it. i saw there was a great long list of graphics cards that aren't compatible, i don't know if it's simply an age factor or something else as i am not tech savvy. with that said would it also just be a plug and play situation or would i have to deal with software and such too?

i'm on a dell that's a couple of years old and could try and give more information if it would help. any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

If you want hands on professional info, that will order the right GFX card for you.. Take the computer to a local Computer Shoppe. That specializes in Pre-Built Computers.

A 6850 is a relatively cheap card - you can get one for under $200 - that will run all games (that I know of) with decent FPS as long as the graphics aren't cranked up too high. If you are looking for better performance at a later date you can always crossfire another one. The graphics card IS outdated but is still "powerful enough". You would be much better off posting this on a tech forum though, most people's knowledge of graphics cards (mine included) doesn't extend much further than the google searches and comparisons we did when purchasing our current card.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks group, definitely helpful. i guess i may have to research then.