Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I remember upon becoming a member of a new guild, I noticed in the forums a thread where everyone shared a picture of themselves. I posted a picture and suddenly a guy from the guild complimented my looks and I could freely ask him questions about the guild. Later I found out that he was gay :I

Quote Originally Posted by Animma View Post
    Anyway the question is -
    [1] when dealing with people online (whether it be WoW or elsewhere, does your opinion of them change when you find out what they look like.
    My opinion? No. Based on how the interaction is going on let's say Skype I may conjecture what the rest of their personality may be like and avoid any conversation that'll lead to me havin to acknowledge things I think are stupid or too personal about myself (because I rarely talk about myself anyway).

Usually I can just leave an internet acquaintance thinking "Average dude. Will chill/bullshit if he asks" and I can avoid contact with them. Just how I prefer! Social hermit with all the power! (In my mind)
    [2] And does physical appearance play any role in determining if you would be friends with someone you met in reality?
    In high school, for an example, I always kept up conversations with people when they walked up to me. I may not have been the best, but some people who were usually (noticeably) shunned appreciated me for being chill I think.

But I am no hero of the homely, or crusader for the comely.

To escape making myself seem like a saint: Appearance influences interaction. Interaction influences self image. Self image influences personality.*
    Queue the cycle. Problems come up sometimes.
    Last edited by Confirm Deny; 2012-07-18 at 11:00 PM.

Yes, it matters.
    To the extent that it overshadows a persons personality? No, not for me. I get easily bored around stupid people, even if they are beautiful. Nothing like a beautiful woman with fire beyond her eyes.
    I liek fysix

Was there anything sexual about your conversations?
    If so, it's very rare that he/she actually straight up told you what he/she really thinks. Not necessarily a compliment to that person, but definitely not bashing either.
    If it was just two people chatting, then yea - that's strange.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    Was there anything sexual about your conversations?
    If so, it's very rare that he/she actually straight up told you what he/she really thinks. Not necessarily a compliment to that person, but definitely not bashing either.
    If it was just two people chatting, then yea - that's strange.
    Nah there wasn't, not unless I'm incredibly slow and missed it entirely. That's why it struck me as so odd!

10+ Year Old Account
    no actually. its all about personality for me- i have several friends that are ...lets say...not the most eye catching people

this is coming from someone who is attractive and in shape.

15+ Year Old Account
    Friends no. Relationships, yes.

In friendships you look more for a wide range of personalities and looks aren't so important (unless someone is shallow and trying to make themselves look better). The wide range of personalities is for the purpose of getting multiple different view points on something when you do just need a friend, or for having a variety when you hang out.

When it comes to relationships, nearly everything matters. Every person has their own definition of what is attractive mentally and physically, and on the point of physical appearance, a good physical appearance can lead to confidence which can lead to more fun. Someone who is physically fit takes care of themselves, while someone who is not... does not. It's a common saying that if they cannot take care of themselves, they cannot take care of you.

So in other words... if the guy commented on your physical appearance, it's because he has some sort of attraction to you as more than just a friend. Many people will probably quote me on that and say DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN THAT which I realize, but in nearly every single non familial male-female relationship, there's always some level of attraction, even the smallest one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Physical appearance matters to me in a way. I think it matters to everyone.

It's not a matter of attractiveness, though, it's more of me judging how much they look like they'd have in common with me. However, I'm an adult, so I'm always willing to look past that sort of thing and give people a chance.

Yes.

Physical appearance tells me a ton about a person: such as how much they care about their health, for example.

Deleted
    if just for friends i dont see why it matters, maybe some girls/guys were expecting more than that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yes.

Physical appearance tells me a ton about a person: such as how much they care about their health, for example.
    Surely it's irrelevant past the obvious health things no? Someone who's perceived as "ugly" isn't necessarily unhealthy.

I have a mental image of the people I'm chatting with online. If that proves to be way off, it's sort of confusing. But no, none of it really matters. In real life, sadly, it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yes.

Reuben painted overweight women because at that point in time, being healthy was having the physical fat necessary to survive famine. Even the concept of health changes over time

Surely it's irrelevant past the obvious health things no?
    Not really, but I am just peculiar.

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Reuben painted overweight women because at that point in time, being healthy was having the physical fat necessary to survive famine. Even the concept of health changes over time
    Yea, and now that is far different

I could never EVER date someone overweight, however I do love long distance bicycling and other active hobbies. Therefore someone not physically fit would be a poor match for me anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes. Your physical appearance generally reflects you mental attitudes. Do you take care of yourself, do you dress proper, ect...

While nice people come in all shapes and sizes, it's natural for people to feel revulsion or attraction or all sorts of other things when seeing another person.

I used to think it was rude or shallow to care about yours or other people's appearances, but I realized that I only cared because I cared what other people thought of those opinions. Once I stopped caring what others thought of me, I stopped caring whether I judged someone by their appearance or not.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit this a good thread to fuel yourself for going to the gym, so many shallow ass hats in here its unbelievable. Actually... it is believable. Everyone who's admitting they're shallow on here would never admit that in real life to strangers.

But to get back on topic, I don't judge based on physical appearance, sure, the first millisecond I see someone new I make a quick mental note but I'm in no way judging them. There are so many good people out there, and to be shunned on pure physical attraction is the epitome of stupidity.

Btw, my above statements apply both online and offline. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    Holy shit this a good thread to fuel yourself for going to the gym, so many shallow ass hats in here its unbelievable. Actually... it is believable. Everyone who's admitting they're shallow on here would never admit that in real life to strangers.
    I already have. I don't sugarcoat things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please, if I told anyone that I'd never judge them on their physical appearance they're either idiots for buying it or they'd smack me 'cause they're my friends and they know I'd be lying to them.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy generalizations batman.

If you can honestly say that you have never ever judged someone based on their appearance, then I'll give you a million dollars.

10+ Year Old Account

But to get back on topic, I don't judge based on physical appearance, sure, the first millisecond I see someone new I make a quick mental note but I'm in no way judging them. There are so many good people out there, and to be shunned on pure physical attraction is the epitome of stupidity.

Btw, my above statements apply both online and offline. Whatever.
    I've admitted that to people offline before. And basing part of your opinion of someone on how someone looks isn't shallow. A lot of people dress and groom themselves in certain ways in order to make their personality more apparent.