Poll: Would you help or ignore the dying man?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    You can be sued for anything or nothing, though. Helping the person out isn't any worse on the "likely to be sued" scale than almost anything else.
    But it is an action that has a high "sue" potential that you can easily avoid. It is risk assessment nothing more. Like I said I would call 911 and get on the bus. I have helped the most I can with out risking my well being and welfare. I guess if asked by the 911 operator I might hang around assuming I was not omw to work or some appointment.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    I don't know the laws in the US, but i'd help him nevertheless. I'd want the same if that was me (i don't drink, but couldn't care less about him being drunk).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    But it is an action that has a high "sue" potential that you can easily avoid. It is risk assessment nothing more. Like I said I would call 911 and get on the bus. I have helped the most I can with out risking my well being and welfare. I guess if asked by the 911 operator I might hang around assuming I was not omw to work or some appointment.
    Well we can disagree on this, but I think that the risk of being erroneously sued is lower than the benefit of potentially saving someone's life.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well we can disagree on this, but I think that the risk of being erroneously sued is lower than the benefit of potentially saving someone's life.
    Fair enough.

As I said in an earlier post, win or lose getting sued WILL cost you money. Time off work, Lawyers fees, ect...

Sure won't cost as much but I am not in the habit of doing things that may cost me thousands of dollars. I would call 911 maybe hang around to help got there. Unless you are trained in emergency first aid you won't be doing much more than that any way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Backlashe View Post
    And not helping someone because you "may get sued" is worse than not helping someone because "you are a sociopath.". You people with monetary motives make me sick.
    Thats your opinion. I care more about my money than I do about random strangers dying on the street, and as long as the law allows me to ignore them I will continue to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's humanity for you. All some people care about are their own selves.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I've actually been in this type of situation before.

I was with my brother (he was driving), it was late at night and we were crossing an intersection with a stop sign. Coming from the other direction we were headed was a white neon doing I'd say around 40 MPH and apparently she didn't notice the sign until the last second. She served to the right thank god and or she would have hit us head on, took out the stop sign and ran smack into a brick building on the corner full speed. I remember turning around and looking out the back window to see her hit the side of the building.

In this situation my brother was going to continue driving, I had to tell him to stop the truck two times as I was pulling out my phone and dialing 911. I ran over to the car to check on her as I was talking to the dispatcher. It was a pretty bad accident, I wanted to help but given the severity of the crash I didn't want to risk making things worse. The brick wall was as good as gone and the entire front of the neon up to where the windshield meets the hood was just gone, smashed in. She had a seat belt on and the air bag deployed. I stayed long enough to try and get a response from her and give the police a description of what happened.

Later I found they had to use the jaws of life to cut her out and had flight for life come in to take her away. Not a good sign. I never did find out who she was or if she made it or not but I feel good about my response to the situation. I still have the newspaper from that day it made the front cover and everything. I didn't stay long enough to talk to reporters so some other guy took credit for seeing it happen and calling 911 even though no one else was there lol.
    Last edited by Sunagwa; 2012-07-18 at 09:53 PM.

Most people probably thought he was passed out. It is a bus stop in arlington after all...

Unless they saw the accident or clearly saw blood spewing from him, a giant portion of the population would just walk on by.

And with todays justice system, most people will NOT help. Quite a few places, if you try to help an injured person and make it even a little worse, they can sue you.....and win. I admit, it takes an extreme lowlife to sue somebody trying to help them, but it does happen.

If I saw that in the video as I walked by I'd have thought he was passed out. If I saw blood I would have called 911, then assessed his injuries and done what I could to stop any life threatening injuries, but I'm in the extreme minority (many years of military advanced first aid, volunteer fire department, and first responder classes for work).
    Last edited by Dazzy; 2012-07-18 at 10:02 PM.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would of called 9/11 and stayed by his side until the police came. I can't believe some people just walked away. I guess that's cruel reality.
    Last edited by Lancer; 2012-07-18 at 10:05 PM.

that's some sad, fucked up shit and some of the posts here are even more fucked up.

i know bapkis about first aid so for their own good I ain't touching them, but I'm defo calling 911. and if the guy is conscious i'm probably staying too till they arrive.

so what if they are drunk? so fucking what if they're on drugs? doesn't mean they deserve to die alone in the middle of a fucking street.
    Last edited by Joey Ray III; 2012-07-18 at 10:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylol View Post
    *video*
    Quite honestly, I would probably have the same response as most people would and keep walking. Sad but true.
    I find that horrifying, as someone who has been in the same scenario as the bystanders, I can't even understand people wouldn't help.
    It was not like the man I helped was from the "right" group or anything, actually he was just one of those usual drunks that tend to hang around the supermarket where I used to live and just sit and drink. Basically I saw him lying on a bench coughing up blood, so I called 911 (well 112 here) and tried my best to help him (Not really much help, since I have no clue).
    He actually survived, but was quickly back to drinking outside the supermarket again, haven't seen him since I moved, I hope he's well.

I really hope that if I was to be in the situation of being sick or dying in a puplic place that someone like me is around, but this video really isn't encouraging.
    Last edited by mmoc8b393fc574; 2012-07-18 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have helped a few people so far in my life(34yrs) (varying reasons, most serious a car crash) and would not think twice about doing it again. Seems to me people these days are to selfish/self absorbed to help anyone else, which is sad. What if it was you?

We live in an age where people just look out for themselves.

I personally would have tried to get a response out of the guy and ring 000 (911)

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would of likely see if he was ''Responsive'' If not then call 911 and get him help and most likely ''Guard'' him until the paramedics arrive but really I don't have any sort of training then obvious CPR in terms of this type of situation but I certainly would not just walk by.

10+ Year Old Account
    We went over the bystander effect a lot in Social psychology.

I know with certainty that I would help. Even unaware of the bystander effect, I helped a homeless man who had passed out from drinking Chinese cooking wine, and was lying in the grass. I checked to see if he was breathing, rolled him onto his side, got someone to call 911, and waited until they arrived.

Knowing about the bystander effect, hopefully some of you will think twice before ignoring someone in need.

Well, to all those who don't care or are afraid to get sued, I take it that if you ever are in a similar situation, you'll just lie there quietly and be okay with dying? Okay then. How nice of you not to be hypocritical to a disgustingly high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    Well, to all those who don't care or are afraid to get sued, I take it that if you ever are in a similar situation, you'll just lie there quietly and be okay with dying? Okay then. How nice of you not to be hypocritical to a disgustingly high level.
    Personally I would expect no more than what I would give, a phone call to 911. I can sure as shit tell you I do not want someone unqualified person trying to move me or anything of that sort.

I'd call 911 or find someone who could (the bus driver would be an excellent person to ask to radio for help). I really would not want to hang around a poorly lit deserted corner at night, and I'd probably be pretty concerned about health hazards to myself, so it would be a tough decision whether or not to stick around or attempt to assist.

I've seen the "do not get involved" approach all my life, and in a way I understand it, but I've seen the damage that happens when good people do nothing. It's scary to stick your neck out, and it's definitely true that no good deed goes unpunished, but screw that, I won't be one of those people.