Preform AV Enabler 2.72 Vs Official 3.01(EXPOSED!)

Let me just say that this is coming from a guy who has led hundreds of premade AVs to victory over 4.5 years of leading Premade AVs. I have been using this addon all 4.5 years.

So, 2.72 comes out, and it's pretty cool with the new resil/x-realm name server feature and all... I liked it, until I did a little digging.

A lot of you guys who join the Rath strat premades in the Public vent know that you are forced to absolutely use 2.72 fan update instead of 3.01. It's not your fault I know, as they will get mad and tell you to get their version otherwise. Well, 2.72 was a pretty good fan update but it that's what it was, an unofficial fan update, and the addon creator who has maintained this addon for over 5 years was eventually going to have his own release. And thankfully, the original addon creator included all of the new features in his new release while removing some of the secret ones they don't tell you are in 2.72 (I'll explain further down).

There is a lot of false rumors I keep hearing about version 3.01 - Spread largely by the public vent leaders(Though not all) who perpetuate the lies from what they have heard from others. Not really their fault, they are just going from what they heard, and a lot of the Rath Strat leaders are good guys so this is NOT an attack on them

Examples of false rumors I hear:

• Made more for the Alliance not Horde
    • Doesn't actually work (yes it does)
    • Not compatible with 2.72 (As long as Raid leader has 3.01 you are good with 2.72 OR 2.66)

First off, this addon was specifically made and was originally designed in a way that Alliance could not use it, as the addon creator was a hardcore Horde member and was the original Alliance hater!

Finally, 3.01 IS compatible with 2.72 -- to an extent. If the Raid leader has 3.01, if you want to keep your older 2.72 or 2.66 version the raid leader can still see you and can que you without issue. I lead PVP raids all the time on openraid.us and I use 3.01 so if any of you are hearing this is not true, it is a lie. But, that is what we call "backwards compatible." The fact that the addon creator even allowed it to be backwards compatible to the "fan update" was actually very generous of him as he didn't have to allow that. Now, if the raid leader is stubborn and only used 2.72 then ya, 3.01 won't work. Why? because that would be "Forwards compatibility."

Also, there is some other issues I have with version 2.72. Bitbytes, or whoever the guy is that did the fan update's version had a number of things that certainly would not be approved of in any official build. Personalized messages to his raid group and code that allows him, hardwired into his code, by his user name only, to control user clients. (such as forcing people to flag players or even themselves as afk, thus getting kicked from a BG for no reason suddenly without your knowledge or consent). I don't believe he tells people that he does that, and honestly, such a function is technically against the TOS. You take your chances when downloading unofficial code from some dude's windows live account.

So guess what guys! Version 3.01 has all of the nice little nifty features of the fan update, is completely re-coded by the addon creator for "efficiency and [easier future] upgradability reasons, removes all of bitbytes private functions he doesn't tell people about, and works just fine.

Stop believing the public vent lies that it is not as good or broken in some way. Again, I am no way affiliated with the addon creator, but as a Premade AV leader going on almost 5 years now, amateur coder, and having used both addons I can say 100% that it is best if everyone just got 3.01 -- the reality is that they want you to keep using 2.72 so they can keep those hidden features. There is no other real reason as to why you should be prevented from using or getting 3.01 the easy way. They just need to make it easier on everyone and allow them to get it up on curse.

3.01 is on curse.com -- Can we stop forcing people to go to some other random webpage and just go to our popular addon hub and get the latest version.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.
    Last edited by Arkaan; 2012-07-18 at 10:30 PM.

Sorry if this comes off ignorant or whatever, but I've been attending numerous HK farms (do 2-3 games in one day, 2-3 days a week) for the past few months, and I have never, ever heard of this issue.

Ever.

3.01 causes huge amounts of interface lag for me. torrid's code is shoddy.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Arkaan View Post
    Also, there is some other issues I have with version 2.72. Bitbytes, or whoever the guy is that did the fan update's version had a number of things that certainly would not be approved of in any official build. Personalized messages to his raid group and code that allows him, hardwired into his code, by his user name only, to control user clients. (such as forcing people to flag players or even themselves as afk, thus getting kicked from a BG for no reason suddenly without your knowledge or consent). I don't believe he tells people that he does that, and honestly, such a function is technically against the TOS. You take your chances when downloading unofficial code from some dude's windows live account.
    Never heard of this guys fan update. Downloaded it to see what you were talking about here.. Yeah.. Kudos to him for trying to keep the mod functional, but this is something that should be up front in a readme file or disabled before releasing.

tl;dr: Allows the author to force your client to report any player AFK and allows the author to force a raid leader using the addon to grant himself raid assist. The code isn't obfuscated and isn't dangerous, but I'd break this part of it if I were using it.

Code:
    	elseif ( vars[1] == "rp" ) then
    		if ((PreformAVEnabler_IsLeader(sender)) or (sender == "Bitbyte-Icecrown")) then
    			if ( vars[2] ) then
    				local unit = NameUnit(vars[2])
    				if (unit) then
    					original_ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK(unit)
    				end
    			end
    		end

elseif (sender == "Bitbyte-Icecrown") then			--[new feature test]
    		if( vars[1] == "pa" ) then
    			if (IsRaidLeader()) then
    				if ( vars[2] ) then
    					if (NameUnit(vars[2])) then
    						sender = vars[2]
    					end
    					PromoteToAssistant(NameUnit(sender))
    				end
    			end
    Code:
    function ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK(unit)
    	local name = UnitName(unit)
    	if (name) then
    		if ((PreformAVEnabler_AddonCount > 1) and ((PreformAVEnabler_Player == PreformAVEnabler_RaidLeader) or (PreformAVEnabler_Player == "Bitbyte-Icecrown"))) then
    			SendAddonMessage("PreformAVEnabler", "rp,"..name)
    		else
    			original_ReportPlayerIsPVPAFK(unit)
    		end
    	end
    end

Deleted
    Hopefuly this exploit will die soon enough. And if not, BG blacklisting will take care of it anyway.

Ya hey thanks for digging up the code, I was just too lazy to copy it over... But ya, I really was happy at first he helped keep the addon alive until I saw this stuff in it...

Arkaan = Torrid? You seem too mad to be just a random PVPer. Maybe you're bitter because you were kicked from a run for not having the addon installed? Who knows.
    I run a lot of premades on Open Raid, using 2.72 (after using 3.01 for a while), and without a doubt its a better experience overall. Bitbye is incredibly nice and approachable, did you even try getting in touch with him before you posted this? Starting some sort of garbage flame war just makes YOU look suspicious to me, not the addon.
    Regarding the code to force AFK reports, all I can say is that each raid leader very loudly and clearly calls out when to have the group report a certain player away. It doesn't always work, even if the person is standing AFK at a node without combat. This leads me to believe that the code you linked doesn't work as you think it does or its never being used in that way (to force a group report).

edit: took out some text that cited the OP as being the one posting a link to this thread on OR.us
    Last edited by darrie; 2012-07-20 at 02:56 PM.

Not my thread. Proof it is me.

This feature would give the raid leader an immense amount of control to enforce appropriate behaviour from people who aggree to participate in a preform. If it weren't hardcoded to that guys name, I would see that being very useful for dealing with trolls instead of relying on ingame mass-reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by darrie View Post
    Arkaan = Torrid? You seem too mad to be just a random PVPer. Maybe you're bitter because you were kicked from a run for not having the addon installed? Who knows.
    I run a lot of premades on Open Raid, using 2.72 (after using 3.01 for a while), and without a doubt its a better experience overall. Bitbye is incredibly nice and approachable, did you even try getting in touch with him before you posted this? Starting some sort of garbage flame war just makes YOU look suspicious to me, not the addon.
    Regarding the code to force AFK reports, all I can say is that each raid leader very loudly and clearly calls out when to have the group report a certain player away. It doesn't always work, even if the person is standing AFK at a node without combat. This leads me to believe that the code you linked doesn't work as you think it does or its never being used in that way (to force a group report).

edit: took out some text that cited the OP as being the one posting a link to this thread on OR.us
    So, no I am not the addon creator Torrid, and I doubt he really would put in the effort to do what I am doing. All I am saying is that if you are going to have these features hard-coded into your name being able to use it, you better be open and honest and have documentation about it.

Also, since certain features in this addon such as bibytes being able to control your user clients in regards to AFK reporting and also auto granting himself leadership and so on, there are potential problems here. Convenient? Sure, but the reality is that they are against the TOS for a reason, cause even if he is using them for noble purposes of convenience, they can still be very much abused. Got a guy defending the Horde base towers with his trinket that he decides he doesn't like? BAM, he's gone.

Other raid leaders will still need to call out people to help report afk, but the reality is that bitbytes hard codes this to his name, which again just shows he has some hidden stuff he's not telling people about.