Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It shouldnt be to hard I did it a semester or 2. I think doing 4 classes with a full time overnight job and a day internship semester was the worst for me I was a zombie for about 3 months.

18, no, my max was 17. It was still quite busy.

10+ Year Old Account
    5 courses had me pulling my hair out, 6 is too many. I`ve seen only two people pull it off, and one had a photographic memory

Stress management is crucial in post secondary. I don`t recommend taking too much on; you will burn out in the end, and many students drop out due to stress and anxiety disorders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirse View Post
    5 courses had me pulling my hair out, 6 is too many. I`ve seen only two people pull it off, and one had a photographic memory

Stress management is crucial in post secondary. I don`t recommend taking too much on; you will burn out in the end, and many students drop out due to stress and anxiety disorders.
    Last semester I had 10 ^_^ but I've worked up from 5. And 6 were absolute requirements for my degree

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm taking 2 classes during summer and 4 classes during fall.
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    if so, how bad was it?

(18 units = 6 classes)
    took 21, commuted and worked full time ....AND had a social life

its all what you make of it.

FYI- im not a genius im a B+/A student- its all about time management

I had 17 units one semester, wasn't too bad. I had 18 the semester after that, but I could not keep up at all. Mostly because I had a chemistry lab where shit never went right. I dropped it and went to 13 units that semester.

How doable it is really depends on what kind of classes you have. I had a 3 unit class with more homework than my other 13 units combined once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

This really depends on you, some people can handle more and some less, not to mention if you have to have a job or not, etc.

For me, my first quarter at university I took 18 units and I thought I had way too much free time, was playing Starcraft so much. So I decided to up it to 26 the next term, then after that every term was 28 except my last term was 31 to finish out my degree (with only 20 during summer quarters). Classes were a bit hectic, and sometimes I did have overlapping class times, not to mention needing to get the dean to sign a petition each term to allow me to do it, but I was happy to be able to get my bachelor's/master's degrees quickly and start teaching and making some money.

How many units have you been taking normally? If 12, then going to 18 is probably a big jump and you should try like maybe 15 instead, but if you normally take 15 might as well try out the 18 and see how it is. You can always drop a course a couple weeks in if it seems like too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    @xoolex

Out of curiosity, how quickly did you graduate? Have to imagine that you would speed through college with that kind of work load, assuming you could pull it off successfully.

I once took 21 credits for a semester in sophomore year. I did it to bump up my credentials for grad school. How difficult the experience is depends on your major and the course loads.

Being young let you do some crazy things. I couldn't do that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Last semester I had 10 ^_^ but I've worked up from 5. And 6 were absolute requirements for my degree
    How the fuck were you allowed 30-35+ hours in one semester...... Normal is 12-15 hours. The max here at KU 'Kansas University" is 20 - working towards undergrad or unless you get special permission.

Edit. I see you're from Russia. Hmmmmmmm......

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. It was fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by counterhero View Post
    How the fuck were you allowed 30-35+ hours in one semester...... Normal is 12-15 hours. The max here at KU 'Kansas University" is 20 - working towards undergrad or unless you get special permission.

Edit. I see you're from Russia. Hmmmmmmm......
    23 hours, not 30-35. And where I am, for my degree its 15 hours minimum every semester, 19 hours max unless you go into certain classes that don't require extra payment, which I did. And what does Russia have anything to do with it? While I did study at St. Petersburg State University briefly, I currently study in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    23 hours, not 30-35. And where I am, for my degree its 15 hours minimum every semester, 19 hours max unless you go into certain classes that don't require extra payment, which I did. And what does Russia have anything to do with it? While I did study at St. Petersburg State University briefly, I currently study in the US.
    It could just be that he assumed you study in Russia, and that Russian education standards may be different than they are here.

Well I would be interested in what year of college you are in. 18 units as a freshman or sophomore might not be a big deal if you are say taking preliminary courses or undergrad requirement courses like Woman Studies or Jazz History. But if you are taking 18 hours of 400 level courses I would say you're in for a rude awaking.

Quote Originally Posted by slummish
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

For my college, units don't really follow the 1 unit ='s 1 hour. My biology last semester, for example, was a 5 unit class. It was split into lecture and lab. And essentially a mandatory open lab you had to attend, otherwise you just couldn't finish your labs. My labs would be on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 1 pm - 4. Lectures were on Tuesday and Thursday, and took place from 1 pm - 2:30. Then the open labs, don't remember the exact time, but I usually spent around 1-2 hours a day going to those.

So in total, I spent around 11-15 hours a week, give or take, on just going to this one biology class. This doesn't include the time you had to spend studying either.
    Last edited by Hemoglobin; 2012-07-19 at 05:03 AM.

But if you are taking 18 hours of 400 level courses I would say you're in for a rude awaking.
    yup, this is so true.not all classes are the same difficulty level and even some ramp up to crazy work loads from close to mid to end semester making you wish you had less hours to actually focus on the quality of work.If your working on maintaining a scholarship this can be a prob.

Differences are funny. I had around 28 hours per week when I began and it reduced to 22 over 5 years. It was considered a low amount because we were supposed to work more outside of classes.

T'was science, dunno if it makes a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Switching majors was a major pain, but i generally took 18 each semester and maxed at 21. This is also while competing in a D1 sport (aka a full time job), not to mention all the time missed for away competitions. And no, grades are not handed out to all athletes only football/basketball/baseball

Yes, regualrly, but I try to make it so that at least 2 are some of the easier, "handwaving" classes where you don't need to do a lot of calculations, juts listen stuff and uderstand it. They tend to be the more interesting ones, too.