Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    I honestly have no idea, I didn't even realize there were regions until earlier in this thread. Is lag a big problem in the game or is it tolerant of poor pings?
    If your lagging bad it will certainly be noticeable and probably cause a few unintended deaths. That said, I've gotten to 200-250 ping before the game becomes noticeably unplayable and will cause me to die/miss last hits/miss kills/do stupid things. I was able to play on the EU servers just fine during the server outages and I'm in NA. The three regions are NA, EUW, and EUNE. I don't know what Riot's definitions of the region's are in the EU, so that's more of a judgement call, but plenty of EU players play on both just fine.

Now, I know when I went to EUW I chose veteran as my skill level and I still got paired up with people I would consider beginners. Not sure if they really were or those people where just overestimating their skill level from playing RTS games. You will get stomped in early level PvP games by people who purposefully smurf accounts to do just that. It usually stops around level 5-10, but you will still run into people who have played at level 30 and are leveling a new account.

The important thing is not to give up and to ignore the raging 12 year old asshats. Everyone has a bad game, and sometimes you may be doing awesome but one mistake will make a person snap at you. Don't let it get to you because they have probably being screwing up all game or just got out of a really bad one and need someone to blame.

I just wanna mention one thing; it's a PvP game, so it's understandable that people will get angry. I suffer from that myself in the form of rivalry, so if I end up losing in PvP games (not just LoL) while playing against friends, I'll get super mad, though not on purpose.

Luckily, you can disable the all-chat so you can't see messages from the other team, and bot games will let you get the basics down. When you start PvP, it's more about learning how real players react and play.

Deleted
    Play DotA 2 for a bit and you won't be scared of trying LoL anymore.

Find some friends to play with.
    N

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noujou View Post
    and thats why they created bots, because if you suck, no one cares in bot games

learn how to play in bot games, once you get some confidence try a pvp game and if people talk trash to you, ignore it... youll be fine
    The only thing bot games are good for is learning a new champions playstyle, and learning it is done in one game. You can't master something against bots, tho. That's pretty much all they're good for, because their AI is so horrible.

So yeah to OP. In the beginning play a couple bot games via custom game, and then just play and don't give a fuck about what other people say, because at lower levels everyone is supposed to be bad. There will be the occasional smurf (usually a banned level 30 who's too addicted to the game to wait out the ban on his main account, or people who suck at their own level and wants to own noobies to feel good)

So just play normal blind picks and have fun. You can't learn map awareness in a bot game, because they never gank.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play on EUNE from the US and the ping for me (I use Ethernet) is 110-125 which is reliable enough to play, in fact I really don't feel much of a huge difference on NA or EUW.

I'm just going to get something straight with you here... While leveling up you may get to that point where you start being the rager, now it really depends overall on your personality but I had a friend who was normal first and sucked at the game in the beginning but was humble about it. He then around lv 20 or so started becoming an egotistical asshat sometimes and I told him if I was going to play with him then he would have to shut his mouth in chat and just complain over voice chat to me.

The reason I told him that is because when people start noob calling or whatever it is. It then breaks team synergy and just causes you to fight each other in the game and you aren't focused and most likely stop working together as well as hoping you don't screw up because you know if you screw up then you know he's just going to to shout at you (<-- don't be that guy).

You can view LoL like a job with co-workers, you get along things get done because you work together but when you argue you start trying to make them look bad just to make yourself feel better and that destroys synergy. Just don't be that guy and you will find that it helps.

P.S. If you ever get to level 30 and try ranked, NEVER SURRENDER!

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 12:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    If your lagging bad it will certainly be noticeable and probably cause a few unintended deaths. That said, I've gotten to 200-250 ping before the game becomes noticeably unplayable and will cause me to die/miss last hits/miss kills/do stupid things. I was able to play on the EU servers just fine during the server outages and I'm in NA. The three regions are NA, EUW, and EUNE. I don't know what Riot's definitions of the region's are in the EU, so that's more of a judgement call, but plenty of EU players play on both just fine.

Now, I know when I went to EUW I chose veteran as my skill level and I still got paired up with people I would consider beginners. Not sure if they really were or those people where just overestimating their skill level from playing RTS games. You will get stomped in early level PvP games by people who purposefully smurf accounts to do just that. It usually stops around level 5-10, but you will still run into people who have played at level 30 and are leveling a new account.

The important thing is not to give up and to ignore the raging 12 year old asshats. Everyone has a bad game, and sometimes you may be doing awesome but one mistake will make a person snap at you. Don't let it get to you because they have probably being screwing up all game or just got out of a really bad one and need someone to blame.
    Eventually from practice, you really will rarely have a bad game in normal, that's my find on it. Also read up lots because that is how I learn the book smarts for this game, in fact a lot of my friends always ask me what to build or counter (counter-picking is something that happens in ranked, don't worry about it right now) against certain team comps. If you read a lot which I naturally do it will tremendously help you in-game.

You may also find a certain type of champion suits you naturally, for me it's AP mages. I can just about pick any mage up and even on the first game be fantastic that champion. On the opposing side of it I tend to struggle with certain Junglers and AD carries, for example you might meet a jester named Shaco. He's a pretty good jungler and it literally took me 10 games to actually even get the basics down and now I'm pretty good with him.

A good champion to start off with is Garen, everyone knows how to play Garen and he is very easy to pick and learn (not master). Lets say it's free week and you choose someone such as Rumble (He's not free but just using as an example) it will probably take you up to 30 games or more just to learn him since you are new (took me around 5) just because of his skill curve initially.

Don't worry and if you want to play a bit I have a smurf accounts on every server.
    Hey everyone

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just jump in, the game won't throw you against highly skilled players right away. I rarely even look at the chat anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also don't do bots, I never did and I look back on it and I think it's a waste of time for any new player because it really doesn't teach you in the end.
    Hey everyone

Starting the game as a new player you should a) pick the easiest heroes to line with. The mindset if the champ is considered easy to play I can't play him is stupid. You are new, you should pick fotm easy to play champs. Ryze/Morg middle. WW jungle. Yorick top. Soraka/Janna support. Stuff like that. b) read the basic item build for the champion and line you play; solomid.net or mobafire.com are your friend. c) Don't hesitate to use /ignore.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Starting the game as a new player you should a) pick the easiest heroes to line with. The mindset if the champ is considered easy to play I can't play him is stupid. You are new, you should pick fotm easy to play champs. Ryze/Morg middle. WW jungle. Yorick top. Soraka/Janna support. Stuff like that. b) read the basic item build for the champion and line you play; solomid.net or mobafire.com are your friend. c) Don't hesitate to use /ignore.
    There won't be a jungler at low levels pretty much.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Thanks guys.

I had no idea there was a training mode vs. bots, I'll definitely have to give that a try then!

Do not train against bots! Go there, just to see how spells work on champs you never played. Than take solo que, or que with friend who is same lvl as you are.

It will be something like army training. It will be brutal. It will be messy, but eventually, you will become killing machine. And don' care what people say in chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    There won't be a jungler at low levels pretty much.
    Probably, but if you want to jungle WW is kind of buletproof. As in he can't die to creeps even if you haven't jungled before. He can't gank pushed lane before 6, but if enemy pushes lane to your tower, he can gang well enough with red. But that's just an example of good starting champ to play with. The bottom line is pick easy&strong champs and learn builds for them. And play it safe/don't overextend.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    Am I silly for being apprehensive? Is it as bad as I suspect?
    I was in exactly the same boat, I came to LoL with so little idea of how to play it that it wasn't funny!

You just need to accept that you'll find idiots (the reporting system is pretty decent for the real dicks) and do your best to pick up / learn to play whoever you pick as best you can.

I found this site pretty useful http://www.mobafire.com/ it's got a number of guides and things for the champions.

It may start a little slow but bot games are a really good place to get started, you can run the tutorial a few times to get an idea then the normal / intermediate bot fights to see how that you get on.

If I'm honest I've not yet stepped into anything other than those fights, beginner I think it harder to lose, we've won with 3 of the 5 people actually playing, but intermediate I'm never sure if it's me being crap or just a general level of fail from the people I'm playing with.

Either way I think it's worth trying it to see how you get on GL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enkidulgaa View Post
    Dont worry the community is very nice and welcoming towards newcomers.
    http://i.imgur.com/q1Qgv.png

(LoL is essentially the same, except that people ping 20 thousand times instead of drawing dicks on the minimap)
    this can be attributed to every single multiplayer game of the current decade.
    MP games people tend to be douche bags towards each other. one of the reason I tend to ignore chat in any MP game not being played with friends and do my own thing.

if the attitude changed towards new players (lol like that will ever happen) then more people would play as a team than going loan wolf.

Deleted
    Don't worry. You have tutorial at the start than you can play bot game(s). If you do ok in bot game than you will rock in normals (bots > people at low levels). Remember few things :
    -don't forget about masteries (wow talents)
    -don't buy runes till level 20(?) when you can purchase the best ones
    There is also question where they ask if you are familliar with moba (begginer , regular moba player , expert , master etc.) - however a lot of "experts" choose begginer too so sometimes you may be screwed by one of them or you have luck for such people and they will carry games for your team.

Deleted
    I'm quite new as well, I just play bot games though. In bot games no one gets pissed, even when we had 2 teammates AFK one guy just quit without a word and the other guy just laughed about it with me. The one VS. match I played I did pretty well in - like 13-5-3 - and there was one douchey player who was apparently this really pro guy who got upset whenever anyone besides him got a kill. I've decided just to stick to bot matches until I'm not gonna make a stupid mistake, luckily as I said the players in bot matches are pretty cool and don't really care if you fuck up.

Its pretty easy, by your 5th game you generally should know most things

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katjezz View Post
    Lol is pay2win.
    Obvious troll is obvious.

You don't have to pay a dime and could be 2k ELO.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Well, no, scared isn't the right word. I'm apprehensive though, and it's because I know the MOBA (.../ARTS/your favorite acronym...) genre is incredibly unforgiving towards newbies. Or, well, the playerbase tends to be. And it's weird, because normally I don't care what people yell in chat. When I played WoW, people raging in Battleground chat actually amused me. But, well, I guess what really worries me is wasting other peoples' time. The MOBA genre tends to put extreme focus on individual skill and as the games are pretty long, I'm worried about being that guy who ruins the game for everyone else.

The only other game in the genre I've played is Heroes of Newerth, and that was only for a dozen games or so, so I'm the definition of newbie. Am I silly for being apprehensive? Is it as bad as I suspect?
    yep just go for bot games, if you want to vs people immediately get tank support champs because after learning how to correctly initiate/position to get kills for others you will know what todo when you play ranged ads and so on, otherwise go to bot games and there all you need to know at start is,

LAST HITS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Plz show me your spreadsheets.
    5. You think critting for 5k is awesome, I normal hit for 7.4k with autoattacks.
    Some people are too pro.

Best bet would be to team up with some people from this site for bot games. Make sure you DO NOT join intermediate/hard games unless you're familiar with the game/gametype. Most players in the beginner games are very friendly towards one another or just plain laid back. People who have a few bad games come join beginner games for a bit of relaxation. Make sure you don't just constantly afk and stuff and you'll be fine there. Learn, practice, but don't get too caught up on how easy it is, intermediate games will be a shocker if you try them too soon afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15