Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Epics in MoP Dungeons?

So I was perusing through Wowhead's list of raid and dungeon loot. First thing I noticed was an epic healer mace that drops from the Sha of Doubt in Temple of the Jade Serpent. It was named Food.

Thought to myself, "The name makes it seem like a placeholder." I checked out the other dungeons and a lot of the final bosses have one epic item that is listed as a drop.

Anyone find this funny?
    Last edited by Nadev; 2012-07-19 at 06:30 AM.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Deleted
    That is how it worked in TBC.
    Last boss in Heroics 5 man droped a few epics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dungeon Journal used to show that an epic str neck dropped from one of the SM dungeons, but it was taken out in the latest build. I guess they're either world drops now or just simply hidden in the table on the journal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    Wrath dungeons had epics as well, yet they were absent from Cata starter dungeons. Wonder why.

For those curious:

http://www.wowhead.com/news=204817/m...ngeon-journals
    Last edited by Nadev; 2012-07-19 at 06:44 AM.
    Men!

I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Wrath dungeons had epics as well, yet they were absent from Cata starter dungeons. Wonder why.
    Because people complained that epics didn't feel epic anymore so they restricted them to raid bosses. Then players hated having to do raids for epics so they were put back in for the new 5 mans. The WoW community is so confusing.

There's no mystery about that, Blizzard deliberately made Cata launch heroics drop blues and raids drop purples. Nice clean distinction.

Though I think they regretted it in the end because it made Maelstroms insanely expensive on the AH until they released ZG/ZA and people could farm purples again. I was under the impression they would be putting purples in dungeons again in MoP.

It's only colour anyway, the power of the item is obviously determined by its ILVL. If they'd released Cata with dungeon purples they just would've been 345s coloured purple.

I hope this goes live.

I preferred the BC/Wrath model for heroics in that, while you couldn't necessarily fill every slot with an epic, you could at least get a few by running enough heroics, bridging the gap between running heroics and getting into raids. Later heroics would then offer nothing but epics that were behind in ilvl, to ease gearing up for later raids. Cata's model of nothing but dungeon blues, even off of final bosses, proved to make the transition from dungeons to raids a bit harder.

Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    There's no mystery about that, Blizzard deliberately made Cata launch heroics drop blues and raids drop purples. Nice clean distinction.

Though I think they regretted it in the end because it made Maelstroms insanely expensive on the AH until they released ZG/ZA and people could farm purples again. I was under the impression they would be putting purples in dungeons again in MoP.

It's only colour anyway, the power of the item is obviously determined by its ILVL. If they'd released Cata with dungeon purples they just would've been 345s coloured purple.
    Another good point. Maelstroms were stupid expensive until ZA/ZG were released, solely because epics were only available from raiding, and very little gear was getting DE'd. Allowing epics to drop from dungeons, even in slight amounts, will prevent that from happening to such an extent again. I really hope that doesn't repeat.

And it's not true that power is solely determined by ilvl. Look at these two belts from Wrath, an ilvl 200 rare, and an ilvl 200 epic.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=37680
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=37408

While not a perfect comparison, it does highlight that the epic has a higher stat budget than the rare.
    Last edited by Dblbaconator; 2012-07-19 at 06:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblbaconator View Post
    And it's not true that power is solely determined by ilvl. Look at these two belts from Wrath, an ilvl 200 rare, and an ilvl 200 epic.
    Stat budget varied by rarity until Cataclysm, at which point all items of a given level were given the same stat budget regardless of rarity. (Which is, of course, not to say that they can't revert that now.)

While not a perfect comparison, it does highlight that the epic has a higher stat budget than the rare.
    Okay fair enough, but Blizzard would tune the ILVL/quality to the intended power level they want for a heroic regardless of whether they make it blue or purple, is what I was trying to say.

I kind of liked the Cataclysm model the best, BC is a bit weird with bosses dropping the same loot on Heroic except for the occasional purple, the whole blue=dungeon, purple=raid was nice (at least for the first tier). I'm sure they could find other ways to solve the issue with enchanting mats - eg, make only one or two top end recipes require the crystals. Like if Landslide still required a crystal, so you'd start off with Avalanch and only get the top level weapon ench later on, but the rest of your enchants only required shards and dust. Maybe they could make the crystals come from a raid vendor like the gems in DS or something as well.

also in wotlk.

personally I don't think it's a bad thing. as long as it doesn't go overboard with the epics it rewards, a little boost is fine since we can't buy epic gear with VP now.

10+ Year Old Account
    The epics to mostly be weapons and necklaces.

On a related note: happy to see fist weapons again.
    Men!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludacritts View Post
    Because people complained that epics didn't feel epic anymore so they restricted them to raid bosses. Then players hated having to do raids for epics so they were put back in for the new 5 mans. The WoW community is so confusing.
    i wouldnt say the wow community is confusing really. its just really diverse and blizzard was/is trying to please everyone, which needless to say is impossible.

There is, or at least was exactly two tier difference in stat budget when comparing items of same level but two rarity steps, ie. green vs blue, or blue vs purple. In WLK this meant that lv200 epics were effectively two tiers above the 200 heroic blues, and 213 epics three tiers above. Blue item is considered to be the normal level, green -2 and purple -2. Legendaries are +4, which explains why legendaries even though technically only 6 levels above epics are so much better because they get +2 tier free extra in stat budget.

What comes to topic, somebody mentioned before in another thread that the epics in MoP heroics have really low droprate, around 1-2%, so those will not fix the price of epic enchanting mats either.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Even to this day, people think 359 and 410 are the same because they are both purple.
    Derps.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cata's model of nothing but dungeon blues, even off of final bosses, proved to make the transition from dungeons to raids a bit harder.
    Cata did offer an epic or two from rep vendors & crafting professions, albeit at quite a high mat cost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Even to this day, people think 359 and 410 are the same because they are both purple.
    Derps.
    You kidding right? Because, you know, see numbers. Noone can be that stupid, can they?

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 07:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacritts View Post
    It is actually quite simple. Those who dont like the current settings complaints, those who are happy dont say anything.
    By this it might seem the "community" cant make up their mind. But in reallity it is completly new individuals whom complaints.

As long as they don't have no purps dropping but allow something like the alch stones to be disenchantable i'll be good. All or nothing for the majority, no small nuances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    You kidding right? Because, you know, see numbers. Noone can be that stupid, can they?
    Such is the "EPIC NO LONGER EPIC" crowd. Even if the best available epics are available from real challenges, there's somehow an issue when the very worst epics are available at a lower level. Of course this changes as time progresses with improved JP/VP rewards but still.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    What comes to topic, somebody mentioned before in another thread that the epics in MoP heroics have really low droprate, around 1-2%, so those will not fix the price of epic enchanting mats either.
    So it's more like Ironfoe from BRD than TBC/Wrath heroics.

The epics dropping in MoP heroics share the same item level as those dropping in Raid Finder Mogu'Shan Vaults: 476.
    Men!

Yes, the special snowflake crowd is actually that stupid. whining how you get same epics from LFR and heroic DS.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.