Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    I just can't see that popping up at all over that) doesn't mean it's a viable combo for retribution paladins to play.
    I pulled all these comps off worldofwargraphs.com for comps above 2200+ (which I'll explain in a moment) that have a percentage of locks above that rating higher than 1%, the list you make of comps you have seen a warlock in are according to their data are all below 1%, where as all those ret comps I listed are above that threshold.

Asides the two conventional triple DPS setups, ret+rogue+hunter/DK, we have nothing to play asides ret/DK/priest that's able to compete for rank 1 - that's what "viable" means to me, not 2200 or even Gladiator capable. 90%+ of combos someone is even able to come up with (leaving out prot specs) are doable to reach 2200 with if played properly, no wonder rets have that many.
    vi·a·ble/ˈvīəbəl/
    Adjective:

Capable of working successfully; feasible.

Unless you are saying "Rank 1 Viable", viable means the lowest requirement necessary to succeed - if you need 50% to pass your course in school, viable is 50% - which is why saying "Rank 1 Viable" is a paradox: if you are the superlative, you are not the minimal requirement for success. If I said "Competitive" that's a very different word. Obviously I don't want to look at all comps that a ret could possibly play though, so 2200+ Viable seems like a pretty solid limit this season - given there are only something like 26 teams above 2200 on my battlegroup - it's a pretty elite sliver of the arena playing crowd right now.

To illustrate this point, I'm going to addendum your list of apparently viable warlock comps below with the percentage of warlocks playing that comp above 2200+ in north america.

Resto/disc/warlock - 0.73%
    Resto/warlock/warlock - 0.18%
    Resto/ret/warlock - <0.01% (they don't keep record of comps below this threshold and none were listed)
    Resto/enha/warlock - <0.01%
    Resto/feral/warlock - 0.73%
    Shadowcleave - 0.27% (Frost) 0.18% (Unholy)
    LSP - 0.18%
    MLP - <0.01%
    WLS - 1.09%
    RLD - <0.01%

There's more. For sure. I can't be bothered recalling all of them but hopefully you get the idea by now.
    Of those, your right that I must have overlooked WLS (though it barely meets my 1% minimum cut-off) - but all the other comps you listed are non-existent below a margin of randomness / stubbornness to change comp. So, I'm not pulling your leg about there being lots of viable ret comps - where viable means 2200+ capable (because viable can't mean rank 1 viable) - and given the caveat I made in the first post that they are all variations on the same theme of rets with rets/dks/rogues/hunters/discs.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2012-07-22 at 06:18 PM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    ret/rogue/hunter
    ret/disc/dk
    ret/rogue/dk
    ret/disc/hunter
    ret/dk/hunter
    ret/ret/rogue
    ret/ret/hunter
    ret/ret/dk
    for once i would like a ret comp with a caster. but rets by their nature have synergy with melee and to a lesser extent hunters. i've played some variation on paladin/dk/x since season 5, i'm pretty familier with all the permutations. ret/dk/priest is an amazing comp, all three have amazing synergy that you can't really recreate with ret/hunter/x or ret/rogue/x.

you can get 2.2k with just about anything, ( i got it with ret/enhance/feral the first week of the season) the only real glad/R1 viable ret comps are ret/dk/priest and ret/rogue/hunter=dk and thats the only kind of viable that matters. melee comps are just not as strong as caster comps right now, ret/dk/priest is as i said earlier, really the only non gimmick melee comp with any real representation in high end arena. you see a random thugcleave, phd or junglecleave out there, but i don't really see hunters as melee lol.

we can all agree that ret/rogue/xdps comps are dumb and gimmicky but frankly i don't think we will be seeing nearly as much of them next season as ret's off healing is being changed around quite a bit and rogues are getting some significant nerfs. plus i'm sure they are going to break lock/shaman synergy making RLS much less of a godmode comp which means less ret/rogue/x comps to crush its soul.

Because polymorph heals the target to 100% within seconds and is easily countered (eg. druids are completely immune to it)?
    well druids being immune to it isn't the counter i would have use as an example personally since in cat/bear/travel form druids are also immune to repentance!

repentance is a great ability, i have no idea why any ret would not take it for arena play. its just the unfairness in it's treatment compared to other castable ccs is kind of annoying. rets are going to have a more difficult time using it then holy paladins are, which is why the CD is very annoying for us.

in other news.
    a friend of mine is currently on the PTR and has a full haste reforge and haste pieces of pvp gear. he says he can get CS down to 3.5 seconds and repentance to a 1 second cast while running insight ( which gives you spellhaste) now that justice and truth hit for about the same amount i think we will be twisting back and forth between insight and justice in pvp.
    Last edited by kosechi; 2012-07-22 at 10:26 PM.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"