Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    I think the only distinguishing difference between Arthas and Anakin, is Anakin escaped from his madness at the end and was redeemed, but Arthas stayed evil to the very end, even with Jaina pleading for him, and as a result, he's in hell.
    To be fair, we don't really have much of a firm grasp of what happens after a character actually dies in the Warcraft universe, so it's possible that there's no afterlife at all. That said, There's a huge difference in that both pre- and Post-Madness, Arthas is an enjoyable character, though both for different reasons. Anakin was only enjoyable in 4-6, where as in 1-3 he was a whiney brat, or boring, whiny teen. Pre-fall, you sympathize for Arthas. He just wants whats best for his people, and goes about it the wrong way. Post fall, you want him dead because of the horrible things he did, and so the story of his fall is equally as interesting as the story that lead up to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Urufu View Post
    To be fair, we don't really have much of a firm grasp of what happens after a character actually dies in the Warcraft universe, so it's possible that there's no afterlife at all. That said, There's a huge difference in that both pre- and Post-Madness, Arthas is an enjoyable character, though both for different reasons. Anakin was only enjoyable in 4-6, where as in 1-3 he was a whiney brat, or boring, whiny teen. Pre-fall, you sympathize for Arthas. He just wants whats best for his people, and goes about it the wrong way. Post fall, you want him dead because of the horrible things he did, and so the story of his fall is equally as interesting as the story that lead up to it.
    I think in Sylvanas's short story, it's pretty clear Arthas's spirit is in a place of constant darkness, fright and despair.

A place where she'll end up once her Feathery Nordic 1-UPs run out.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the only distinguishing difference between Arthas and Anakin, is Anakin escaped from his madness at the end and was redeemed, but Arthas stayed evil to the very end, even with Jaina pleading for him, and as a result, he's in hell.
    Arthas didn't really "REALLY" choose to be Evil. He was driven by rage and vengeance for Stratholme (not evilness), so risked Muradin's life, and pretty much everything he stood for, to hunt Mal'Ganis down. Technically, we was corrupted by the whispers he heard that came from Frostmourne, which was Ner'Zhul (as the Lich King) saying, "Yo Arthas bro, we should totally hang out and stuff, I even got you this totally cool hat." (May not be completely lore accurate.)

In my opinion, comparing Arthas to Anakin is absurd.
    Currently Procrastinating

10+ Year Old Account
    I never liked Arthas. He came off as a real douche to begin with, as he was in 'of blood and honor', in the trial of eitrigg. He was always a character who would let his ambition rule him, as we saw in the culling of stratholme, he didn't think of any other solution, and had no problem killing his own people, even before the plague changed them.

His single minded ambition is then what lead him to lead his troops and muradin on a wild goose chase, and ultimately in his desparate act for thinking only he was right in his endevour, lead to him burning the ships, taking the frostmourne, since it was so easy to manipulate him, and make an even worse monster then Malganis from it.

I hate characters like Arthas, one whos single minded ambition has them not giving a crap about anyone else around them. Its the same deal with Garrosh, both characters who think they are doing everything right, and won't listen to reason because they think everyone else is behind or beneath them.
    #boycottchina

Arthas was a pawn in the game of life, just like the rest of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I never liked Arthas. He came off as a real douche to begin with, as he was in 'of blood and honor', in the trial of eitrigg. He was always a character who would let his ambition rule him, as we saw in the culling of stratholme, he didn't think of any other solution, and had no problem killing his own people, even before the plague changed them.

His single minded ambition is then what lead him to lead his troops and muradin on a wild goose chase, and ultimately in his desparate act for thinking only he was right in his endevour, lead to him burning the ships, taking the frostmourne, since it was so easy to manipulate him, and make an even worse monster then Malganis from it.

I hate characters like Arthas, one whos single minded ambition has them not giving a crap about anyone else around them. Its the same deal with Garrosh, both characters who think they are doing everything right, and won't listen to reason because they think everyone else is behind or beneath them.
    I couldn't have said it better. In my opinion I would also put Varian Wrynn in the same group.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr1ffius View Post
    Illidan is still no1
    Compared to Arthas, the classic Dark Lord, Illidan is like an emo kid with mental issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    I couldn't have said it better. In my opinion I would also put Varian Wrynn in the same group.
    I'd agree with that over a year ago about Varian, he came off as the same, single minded in his pursuit to kill any orc he saw and thought they were all savages.

But from the look of it, they are moving Varian away from this trend, they intend to make him mellow out, and start to see with a broader perspective, as the apparent things he says in the siege of orgrimmar has him telling his troops not to attack the citizens of orgrimmar, they are just people held under a tyrant.

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 12:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    Compared to Arthas, the classic Dark Lord, Illidan is like an emo kid with mental issues.
    I can sum up Illidans entire character in one line:

"Why doesn't Tyrande love me? /sob"
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only recently gotten into the Star Wars mythology, and I can't help but notice how much Anakin/Vader resembles Arthas. When you REALLY invest into the lore of both franchises, you can't help but grow to detest Arthas because he is basically Anakin Skywalker, stripped of the compelling characterization. Yes, the characterization of Arthas leading up to him becoming the Lich King, just pales to Anakin becoming Darth Vader.

So all in all, why do you like Arthas?
    Anakin had no characterization "leading up to him becoming Vader" in the original trilogy. Can't really say that I personally found episode II or episode III really compelling with Anakin's backstory in comparison to Arthas, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    Anakin had no characterization "leading up to him becoming Vader" in the original trilogy. Can't really say that I personally found episode II or episode III really compelling with Anakin's backstory in comparison to Arthas, but that's just me.
    Episode II was horrible yes (sans the tuskan massacre). Episode III though...are you nuts. That film was the pinnacle of Anakin's descent into madness, and it compelled all the way to the end.

And keep in mind, Anakin is not just characterized through the trilogy, but the vast other wealth of media there to flesh him out.

Here's a fairly obsure example that's old, but it was one of my favorite moments

TBH the above can even relate to Arthas

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the fallen hero motif. That's why both Arthas and Darth Vader are among my favorite villains.

And I think Arthas's story was handled better than Vader's.
    Putin khuliyo

The real queston is ''Who do people DON'T like Arthas?''. Because there isn't really any reason to hate him, he's easily the most richfull lore character there is.

You can't really compare Arthas to Anakin btw, because Arthas got corrupted when he took Frostmourne while Anakin went his own way. Remember that Arthas HAD to take the sword, or Mal'Ganis would defeat Arthas and destroy Lordaeron afterwards, so he had little choice. Anakin only wanted to be evil so he could ''save'' Padmé.

The good Arthas should've been given a second change, he could've been easily the Alliance counterpart of Thrall. Well, without the Jesus power I hope

you played warcraft3?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    you played warcraft3?
    Of course, it's why I've been playing a Death Knight for three years.

Like I said, I loved Arthas until Star Wars came in.

Deleted
    To sum it up somewhat... Arthas is the classic "Dark Lord" that every good fantasy-themed story needs. After Arthas is gone, all we have are random doomsday lunatics around the world... which isn't nearly as inspiring as fighting a powerful antagonist striking out from his dark, nearly impenetrable fortress. Arthas also has a great background story and his motives are somewhat clear. While Cata Deathwing... doesn't make any sense at all. Why all the fuss with cultists and Old Gods if all he needs to do is to blow up the Maelstrom? "Let's make him an unpredictable lunatic so we don't need to come up with a decent story!" And with MoP it's going even further, with the whole expansion not making any kind of sense.

Deleted
    I guess the whole fallen hero really does make a good story.
    and it does

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980. And it is not the first story about a good guy turning bad, so your interpretation is wrong.

When WC3 first came out i really did not like Arthas. I couldn't understand how someone who was ready to die for his people could join the Scourge he hated so much. But now 11 years later i am no longer a teenager. I understand Arthas now and how easy it is to loose hope and give in to hate.

If anything it is my personal opinion that the story of Arthas is far better developed than the garbage Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones and Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. The bad acting and butchered story made me hate Anakin and i get nausious thinking about that.

10+ Year Old Account

Why would Star Wars make you hate Arthas?

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 08:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    When WC3 first came out i really did not like Arthas. I couldn't understand how someone who was ready to die for his people could join the Scourge he hated so much. But now 11 years later i am no longer a teenager. I understand Arthas now and how easy it is to loose hope and give in to hate.
    I thought it was really well done. Arthas was driven to hunt the Burning Legion for the love of his country, but after Stratholme, that love turned into hate as he hunted Mal'ganis and he became obsessed with his hunt for Mal'ganis, convincing himself that he was doing it for Lordaeron. By the time Frostmourne broke him though, he had snapped and forgotten who and what he was.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    He was the best (simple minded, foolish, naive) pawn ever. Till they decided that he should be the Lichking himself with these great features and the intelligent, scheming, ingenious Lichking thus far (Ner'zhul) should just fade away.

Terrible. Just terrible. Worst plot ever.

Both Anakin and Arthas are tragic villains who are turned to evil by outside sources...so yes their story is very similar. That is why people sympathize with them. We see mourn the loss of great potential while decrying their evil deeds. We want to blame them but know the true evil lies somewhere else. They are more anti-hero than villain.

I totally disagree with the OP when he says "the characterization of Arthas leading up to him becoming the Lich King, just pales to Anakin becoming Darth Vader." Both stories are compelling. Patricide, tragic death of his mentor, unrequited love, slaughter at Stratholm, losing his mind to a corrupted weapon...seriously, the story of Anakin/Vader PALES in comparison....and yet we STILL don't have a WoW Movie.

To be honest, the whole transition of Anakin to Dart Vader is really a stretch....he has anger issues, his mother is killed, he's afraid his baby momma is going to die and he's tricked into becoming public enemy number 1 by the worst disguised bad dude of all time? Mother Goose tells a more compelling story. Oh well, at least the special effects are great.

[Edit]
    A pretty interesting resource for backstory can be found at:
    http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Arthas and http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Vader
    The story of Arthas is just as rich as that of Vader, and Darth Baddie had 6 feature length films to provide plot.
    Last edited by Kashii; 2012-07-19 at 12:55 PM.