Discipline Priest in Arena (4.3)

Hello all,

Since we don't raid a lot anymore and current expansion is at end of life, we started doing PvP. After I collected enough gear (4300+ resilience), we wanted to try Arena. We tryed a 3vs3 team with 2 mages and me, Discipline Priest. Also, we started an 2vs2 with a mage and me.

But it's not really working out for me/us. We lose almost every round and we have no idea why....

Is Disc priest viable in Arena? What are the things to look for? How do you defend yourself against melee? Especially 2 melee?

I cannot find anything regarding PvP and/or Arena on Google, that's actually about current content. It's all WotLK or earlier. If someone has any tips or something, please let me know!

My char is here, in case you want to look at it: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rimassy/simple

You said you collected resil gear but that armory shows you in pve blues without gems?

Disc priest is very viable in arena. I would say they're the hardest healers to kill after resto shamans (don't count holy pallies cause we just dispell their bubble).

This site isn't the best out there, but I find it halfway decent. http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pvp/priest/discipline although it only tells you the bare basics like specs and glyphs. It doesn't really help strategy wise.

I would also say go to http://www.arenajunkies.com/forum/19-priest/ and read their forums and what not. There's info on macros and stuff on there. It's THE site for PvPers but sadly it doesn't get updated often enough. I would love to help more, but I have no idea how to play a priest in arena.

Hi there! I'd like to shed a little light on your post. First of all, if you're looking for help in pvp, head over to arenajunkies.com. it's full of quite a bit of nonsense, but it's also mostly full of very helpful and current information regarding pvp in general. the priest forums are an excellent place to start. you can also get links to other great pvp websites but some of them cost money. check out nextlevelpvp.com, skillcapped.com, and pvpcoach.com. their primary servcies cost, but they have sevearl free videos. also check out hydra and talbadar's youtube channels. they are free and very instructional. to address your post a bit in order, i'll start with your amount of resil. as you probably mostly have honor gear (like the person above me stated, your armory shows you in pve gear, but that's probably because you've done pve stuff since you posted this link). you're going to be a bit behind in resil, since a lot of people, even causual pvp'ers, have already spent this entire season slowly collecting cataclysmic gear and should all by now be nearly or completely clad in cataclysmic gear. not too worry though! pvp isn't always about gear. however, the first thing i would recommend is gettting a FULL set of pvp gear. once you get a little more comfortable with your comp and skill level you can potentially replace a trinket without resil, but for now, you need to have resil on every single slot, you need to get every single resil enchant possible, and where applicable you need to gem for either straight resil or int/resil. do not miss resil socket bonuses. moreover, with regards to stats, you need to have at least 5% spell hit rating (for mana burns, mind controls and fears) and you need to have at least 195 spell penetration for mass dispells. the spell pen can easily come from one piece of spell pen gear. most people go for the cloak. the hit rating can be gained from any number of ways, but typically you will need at least 2 full accessory pieces with hit as one of the primary stats. i use the belt and the ring, personally. you also wnat to have AS MUCH spirit as possible. use the ruthless spirit staff instead of mh/oh. this will give you more spriti and more resil with a SMALL lost in int/spell power. mastery is the next stat in line. refroge all crit and haste into mastery when avialable. your spec and glyphs look fine. with regards to you comp, double mage can be a lot of fun, but you ahve to realize that you're putting yourself into a situation where you have 3 cloth wearers and are playing with 2 classes who will share a lot of diminishing returns on their cc's. i recommend that if you play this comp, make sure they are fire and frost, not both fire or both frost. winning and surviving in this comp is going to rely on your teammates as much as it is you, the healer. mages are more than equipped to survive and peel, but if they are locked down/shut down then they can't do too well alone. your mages should be well versed in peeling for one and other. your job will be to keep them dispelled to make sure they can get away when needed, and to ALWAYS make sure that you're keeping out of line of site of other casters. with regards to double (or even triple) melee, make you sure see it coming. if someone is stealthed, you can always chekc the buffs on the other arena targets to see what the stealthed class is. ferals will always give leader of the pack AND gift, rogues will always have the honor amongst thieves, and hunters will always have trueshot aura up. when you recongnize that it's double or triple melee (and when they recognize that you have 2 mages) they are probably coming for you. make sure you have inner fire up (you should always run inner will unless you're being trained by melee), make sure you get out of LOS if possoible, bubble yourself, prayer of mending yourserlf, get a renew going, penance yourself to get stacks of grace up and hopefully some inspiration. so by the time they get to you, you'll have tons of healing bonuses and damage reduction, THIS is where your mages come in. they should have already long sicne gotten off at least one poly, if not 2 or more. make srue they use their cone of cold and the forst should use his pets cooldown. the fire mage should be using dragons breath, and both should be using impact stuns and thier slowing abilities. if there's any class that can peel for teammates, it's a mage! it will be up to them to decide the best kill target while peeling for you. also make sure you're running and getting LOS as much as possible. disc is an amazing arena option as a healer. it can be very soft and susceptible to melee, but your mobility is quite good. top comps for disc right now are rmp(rogue/mage/priest), thug cleave(rogue/hunter/priest), vanguards cleave(ret/dk/disc), fmp(feral/mage/priest), and kfc (hunter/warrior/priest) to name a few. a few helpful addons are gladius, gladiatorlosa, and juked (or afflicted). always set a focus target, and ALWAYS watch enemy cast bars. check out the skillcapped video by craze about awareness. NEVER give up and ALWAYS study your gameplay. always think about what you can do better after every match. be vocal and don't be afraid to call for help from your teammates. hope this helps!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kup View Post
    INSANE WALL OF TEXT
    Some really good points here put god damnit man. Format your text before you post it.
    Posts like these hardly ever gets read because it rapes your eyes trying to read the whole thing.

In 2s Disc/Mage is currently on of the best comps. Really good. Stick with it and you should be rolling in the ratings

Quote Originally Posted by wakarimas View Post
    Some really good points here put god damnit man. Format your text before you post it.
    Posts like these hardly ever gets read because it rapes your eyes trying to read the whole thing.

In 2s Disc/Mage is currently on of the best comps. Really good. Stick with it and you should be rolling in the ratings

sorry, my work computer uses an old version of internet explorer which makes it difficult to do things easily. also, i'm a noob at posting.

Thank you all very much!

We have nog done 3vs3 any more with 2 frost mages, but we have been doing more 2vs2! And that went actually a lot better tonight (before reading your thoughts, though!).

I will definitely remember this topic and come back regularly.

Thanks again all!

Edit: Ofcourse I logged out bad... Will make sure I log out correctly the next time
    Last edited by Massiefje; 2012-07-19 at 10:56 PM.

Disc and frost mage should play out very nicely. One good tip that I've learned the hard way, is have your mage go hard and fast. Don't dillydally around the starting room waiting to see how the opposition will play it out. Odds are they want to kill you, and they want to kill you fast. If your mage goes invis and starts hard on your chosen kill target, you put them on the backburner and they will somehow need to defend themselves and can't just tunnel you 100% from the doors open.

Another very good tip is to learn to use mind control very actively and very offensively. Sometimes simply controlling a healer off a ramp, behind a box, or plain old "away from their dps" wins games.

Get Gladius. Watch the CC timer on there, learn to play off eachothers CCs. Polymorph running out? Run in to get a fear, or time your Mind Control to hit exactly as sheepy runs out, so they can't get heals/peels off. Even if you can't get the MC to last more than 1 second, you've screwed up his cast/plan for that second, and he'll have to re-orient himself when he comes out.

Usually, if you're being tunneled by 2 dps, its the mages job to kill 1 of them before they manage to down you. If its healer + dps, you should be able to survive the dps tunneling you, so save your fear for offensive use on the healer at an opportune moment. You'll have to time your cc's perfectly, and get a bit lucky, to win vs geared healer + dps in 2s.

Versus melee you shield yourself, PoM, renew, and either Inner Focus to heal, or try to fakecast them. If you're communicating with your mage, he'll tell you when he's polying or deeping one of them, so you only have to fakecast 1 interrupt instead of 2. Juking 1 is a hell of a lot easier than 2 :P With 4-piece bonus you can Holy Walk out of snares, so use your shield at an opportune moment if you have the time to plan it out. Don't be afraid of Pain Sup'ing yourself early, if there are 2 of them going hard on you. Desperate Prayer + Battlemaster trinket has treated me well too.

And most importantly - learn to work together so your mage doesn't run off to wild positions forcing you to come out into LoS only to get cc'ed. Pop in and out and throw shields, renews and poms, and try to keep your flash heals to a minimum, or atleast when you feel its safe.