Should they lower AH times for non buyouts?

I have always wanted to list items and let the market determine the price which is the way I believe the AH should work. With how insanely high stuff is I dont know if thats the normal prices or just asshats being asshats. A lot of stuff I sell I have no idea what its worth due to said asshats pricing similar stuff for millions and millions of gold. So I priced my stuff close to them and it never sells. But when I do get sales on decent items I wonder if maybe I sold it for too little and those people asking millions of gold were asking the market price after all.

Id love to be able to just post something for 5k with no buyout and let the market drive my price up depending on whether or not people want that item. But I think having to wait 36 hours prevents this from happening as no one wants to wait over a day for a piece of gear when someone else is selling one similar they can just get right then and there. I think if you choose not to have a buyout you should be able to set the time limit on it. 6/12/24 hours. More people would be willing to start bidding wars on items if they know they can have it in 6 hours. I just think that would make the AH better.

Oh and while they are at it make a damn search option for buyout times. I really hate looking through 47 pages of auctions just to find the one with under an hour left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I have always wanted to list items and let the market determine the price which is the way I believe the AH should work. With how insanely high stuff is I dont know if thats the normal prices or just asshats being asshats. A lot of stuff I sell I have no idea what its worth due to said asshats pricing similar stuff for millions and millions of gold. So I priced my stuff close to them and it never sells. But when I do get sales on decent items I wonder if maybe I sold it for too little and those people asking millions of gold were asking the market price after all.

Id love to be able to just post something for 5k with no buyout and let the market drive my price up depending on whether or not people want that item. But I think having to wait 36 hours prevents this from happening as no one wants to wait over a day for a piece of gear when someone else is selling one similar they can just get right then and there. I think if you choose not to have a buyout you should be able to set the time limit on it. 6/12/24 hours. More people would be willing to start bidding wars on items if they know they can have it in 6 hours. I just think that would make the AH better.

Oh and while they are at it make a damn search option for buyout times. I really hate looking through 47 pages of auctions just to find the one with under an hour left.
    Being able to sort by buyout times would lead to sniping, which won't do anything other than slowly drive prices up.

What really should happen is that if you post a buyout, you owe the 15% fee on the buyout price if the item doesn't sell.... and starting bids should have a cap (though what that is, I have no idea).

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Being able to sort by buyout times would lead to sniping, which won't do anything other than slowly drive prices up.
    Fully agree, and it is a bad idea in my opinion.

What really should happen is that if you post a buyout, you owe the 15% fee on the buyout price if the item doesn't sell.... and starting bids should have a cap (though what that is, I have no idea).
    That would discourage people from using the AH a lot more, and use trade channel/forums instead. The number of scams is going to go up high.
    I also feel that it`s a bad idea. By setting a buyout, you aren`t forcing anyone to buy your item. If someone buys it, it was their own choice. If you put the item for too high, it won`t sell, and it will take one auction slot for a significant time.

To be fair, it would do basically nothing, I often find low bid auctions that I post a bid on to have it in my auctions tab to track them, just as easy to snipe from there.

Horrible idea, it would drive people away from the AH only to start performing their sales through forums and direct in game trading instead.

What they should do is make it so you can cancel auctions without bids, possibly add a 2 hour window after posting where you can't to prevent spam, that would add more flexibility to see if items can catch some interest and if not replace it with something that might.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Horrible idea, it would drive people away from the AH only to start performing their sales through forums and direct in game trading instead.
    That's already being done due to the 10 item limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    To be fair, it would do basically nothing, I often find low bid auctions that I post a bid on to have it in my auctions tab to track them, just as easy to snipe from there.

You snipe items with low buyouts not bids. If they could sort by all 1d11h a savvy auction house player with millions of gold will grab every single under priced item and flip it for profit.

Im just sick of putting items up using similar items as a guide for pricing and not selling anything anymore. Even if I take the closest item and halve the price it just sits on the AH. If I could just post all my stuff with a 5000 bid and no buy out I can let the market take over and people can then pay what they want for my item rather than what I think they should pay for it. The AH is so messed up with hyperinflation that seems like the only way to tell what an item is worth. But the problem is no one wants to wait 30 hours to get their item. They want it then and there so they can use it.

I figured Id give it a try and put up 4 decent with either str,int,dex and vit and at least 60 resist all for 5k last night with no buyout and havent gotten a single bid on any of them yet. They all also had a secondary resists and 2 had gold find or magic find. With as many people who play this game someone should have found my item by now and gone damn thats a good price on a decent item and at least placed a bid. I know there are also people waiting for chances to get good items at a cheap price and will bid at the last minute so they can get it for 5k but with 4 items I find that unlikely as someone should have bid on at least one of them. I know thats a terrible sample size but I think it just shows that no one is willing to wait for the auction to run its course so they can get their shiny new piece of gear. Even if they were the only bidder and did get it at 5k I think they would rather find a similar item and buy it out even if its 250k rather than wait 30 hours. At least thats what I do. I dont care if a better item only has a 200k bid Im paying 600k for something I can use NOW rather than tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketlips View Post
    You snipe items with low buyouts not bids. If they could sort by all 1d11h a savvy auction house player with millions of gold will grab every single under priced item and flip it for profit.
    Don't get me wrong I always check 1 day 11(12) hours items before anything and make good money flipping poorly priced items. However, I've made a fair share of coin flipping items I've sniped in the last minute of an auction with no buyout.

Anyway, I'm fine with the current system other than not being able to cancel auctions that don't have bids on them. Which is already being worked on.

edit; It's also worth noting that putting no buyout on an item means there needs to be demand for that item. What I mean is it can't be a saturated market. If you put up a decent pair of gloves for example with no buyout. It better be worth millions or it wont get much attention, if any at all. Why buy a mediocre item and wait hours to get it when you can go down 1 line in your search and find the same thing for right now at a slightly higher price?
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-07-19 at 10:29 PM.

I don't understand why we can't just choose our own auction length. It can take up to a week to sell some items when I keep having to lower the price each 1.5 days until I find a buyer. I generally price my stuff as the cheapest "similar item" on the AH but often there are no bites until I've substantially lowered the price anyway. If it was possible to do 6-12-24h auctions this wouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocketlips View Post
    Yes because that's not being done already, not at all.

Edit: And btw, sniping refers to placing a bid just before the auction ends in an attempt to prevent others from placing a bid higher than yours.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-07-20 at 01:16 AM.