Thread: New SSD

New SSD

Hi there.
    I'm currently looking to upgrade my desktop by adding a SSD, in order to boost up some loading times.
    Question: my MB only supports 3gb/s, and the SSD I'm interested in is 6gb/s ( SSD OCZ Agility3 SATA 120Gb 2,5" 6Gb/s ).
    Will I lose a lot of the performance by not having a 6gb/s MB? Should I buy a cheaper 3gb/s ssd (MB upgrade is not going to happen soon)?

Another thing, I read that the more you use the SSD, the faster it will be for it to breakdown. I intend to used it as a boot, while having some games in it, like WOW, D3, GW2 and WOT (world of tanks). Provided I play a lot on either of those games, is it a bad idea to put that many games on the SSD or is it ok?

Cheers

i tend to stay as far away from ocz as possible. just have had really bad experiences with them in the past. while a little more pricey, i have never had a intel ssd fail on me and they are faster*. (i have had the first generation intel SSD since the day it hit the shelves and its still going perfectly.

using 3gb/s tends to half both read/write

intel 520 120gb
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167093

intel 330
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167121
    Last edited by drtrann; 2012-07-19 at 01:43 PM.

How about SSD Corsair Force Series 3 SATA 120Gb 2,5" 6Gb/s ?
    I'm kinda limited to a nearby store, namely:
    http://www.novoatalho.pt/MixedProduc...58%2c859%2c864
    No Internet shopping for me, paypal has been misbehaving for some time.
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2012-07-19 at 01:51 PM.

That store you just linked from has the Samsung 830 which is considered one of the best SSDs around. Intel SSDs are also very good as mentioned.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    Hi there.
    I'm currently looking to upgrade my desktop by adding a SSD, in order to boost up some loading times.
    Question: my MB only supports 3gb/s, and the SSD I'm interested in is 6gb/s ( SSD OCZ Agility3 SATA 120Gb 2,5" 6Gb/s ).
    Will I lose a lot of the performance by not having a 6gb/s MB? Should I buy a cheaper 3gb/s ssd (MB upgrade is not going to happen soon)?

Another thing, I read that the more you use the SSD, the faster it will be for it to breakdown. I intend to used it as a boot, while having some games in it, like WOW, D3, GW2 and WOT (world of tanks). Provided I play a lot on either of those games, is it a bad idea to put that many games on the SSD or is it ok?

Cheers
    You will ofcourse lose straight max copy performance from SATAIII to SATAII, will you notice it? Unlikely.
    There is absolutely no issue with taking a SATAIII SSD and hook it up to SATAII and to be a couple euros cheaper to go for SATAII isn't worth it.

You have alot of choice in brands per SSD, but they have different controllers which is the main point to watch.

SandForce controlled drives have 3 types, Asynchronous NAND memory (slowest and cheapest), Synchronous NAND memory (medium to high speed and slightly more expensive then Asynch) and last but not least Toggle NAND (fastest, longer life (higher P/E cycles) and expensive).

The 2 SSDs you suggested operate with Asynchronous NAND memory, which is the slowest of the bunch (barring the OCZ Petrol which uses USB stick class NAND memory believe it or not!).

If you want an OCZ Drive go for a Vertex series, if you want Corsair then go for a Force 3 GT. - These are equipped with Synchronous NAND and are considerably faster then their smaller brothers.
    These are SandForce drives, now the issue here with them, as you will undoubtably get in the next few posts, is that the controller is known to have caused issues in the past, that's why you'll see "OMG AVOID OCZ!!!11oneoneoen" posts, they were a victim of the instability of the SandForce controller.
    These issues have largely been fixed by means of Firmware updates, but make no mistake... ALL vendors suffered from the same SandForce issues.

The thing that generally annoys me is when people scream "OMG, Avoid the OCZ Vertex 3 and get the Corsair Force 3 GT!!11oneoneone" is the fact that the drives are next to identical (same NAND, same controller, same layout... the whole enchilada) and suffered from the exact same issues, but in their eyes were completely different drives and had zero issues... that to me is plain agitating.

OCZ has never been any worse then any other SSD supplier, they were simply hit hardest because they were the first to have the controllers in use and on sale and the first to be pointed at because they are significantly larger players in the SSD market, and before the comment comes in, no i am not a fanboy, i simply look at things objectively.

And if you look at actual dates of these occurences, all vendors denied the drives having issues untill SandForce announced there were but them not being able to find the root cause of it (lack of a proper QA team unfortunately).

You want any drive with SandForce controllers? No problem, they will work perfectly fine, as long as you update the firmware on them first to the latest version, after that you will have next to no issues.

My recommendation is simple, if you want an SSD you buy 1 of 2 options, not in brand and not in controller since you'll be gaming purely.
    Option 1: Buy an SSD which has Synchronous NAND memory, such as Corsair Force 3 GT, OCZ Vertex 3/4, Crucial M4 or Intel SSD 520.
    Option 2: Buy an SSD which has Toggle NAND memory, such as OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS, Chronos Mushkin Deluxe, Samsung 830 etc.

If you want to know if your selection has either of these, just post the one you want and we can tell you.
    But please for the love of God, don't become a mindless brand hater simply because A or B read some bad stuff and immediately assumes everything from that brand is the worst possible garbage in existance.

My build still has windows booting from a hdd, so I want to make the jump to SSD. Probably that "hate" was towards the other post, since I don't usually look at brands, if they do their job well I don't care.
    Main problem here is budget. 110€ tops. And the sum of space from all those games is near 55GB. Which makes me want a bigger SSD than 64GB(no brainer, since windows itself uses it's own space, and I want some gb of reserve).
    Is there any SSD of that option 1, below the 110€ mark, on this store, or am I still ok with either of those 2 choices that i said earlier, even with them being slower.
    Last edited by WarBringerPT; 2012-07-19 at 03:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBringerPT View Post
    My build still has windows booting from a hdd, so I want to make the jump to SSD. Probably that "hate" was towards the other post, since I don't usually look at brands, if they do their job well I don't care.
    Main problem here is budget. 110€ tops. And the sum of space from all those games is near 55GB. Which makes me want a bigger SSD than 64GB(no brainer, since windows itself uses it's own space, and I want some gb of reserve).
    Is there any SSD of that option 1, below the 110€ mark, on this store, or am I still ok with either of those 2 choices that i said earlier, even with them being slower.
    Your link contained a 109 euro 120GB Corsair.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Your link contained a 109 euro 120GB Corsair.
    yeah, that was my 2nd choice, on my 2nd post.

Deleted
    Sorry to hijack the thread but im in a similar situtaion. Was looking at this drive here http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...7pc256neu.html

Able to use in a normal pc or does it have to a be a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfangx View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but im in a similar situtaion. Was looking at this drive here http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...7pc256neu.html

Able to use in a normal pc or does it have to a be a laptop?
    You are able to use that in a normal PC, the reason they call laptop edition is that in the package they include an extra rubber/plastic frame to make it sit better in a laptop since it is a bit to thin otherwise. They also include tools to be able to run it externally while you clone your current hard drive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You are able to use that in a normal PC, the reason they call laptop edition is that in the package they include an extra rubber/plastic frame to make it sit better in a laptop since it is a bit to thin otherwise. They also include tools to be able to run it externally while you clone your current hard drive.
    Thank you for the help <3 My choice is now between that ssd and this one http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...-240g-g25.html.

Been reading alot bout both and cant choose lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfangx View Post
    Thank you for the help <3 My choice is now between that ssd and this one http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...-240g-g25.html.

Been reading alot bout both and cant choose lol
    I would take the Samsung without a doubt.

OP

the issues with the sandforce SF-2281 controller , as used by the bulk of the sandforce based drives HAS NOT been fixed , even with intel`s rewrite , it still has BSOD issues and TRIM failures as well; also , when using incompressible data the sadforce drives is the same speed as everyone else:

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/...s-256gb-review

ergo , coupled with the ongoing problems with sandforce SF-2281 , and when using 99% of the usual use of a drive , its the same as the rest. personally i would recommend either a samsung 830 or crucial m4

Quote Originally Posted by dogman View Post
    That store you just linked from has the Samsung 830 which is considered one of the best SSDs around. Intel SSDs are also very good as mentioned.
    that's the one i got. im no expert, but it was a super easy install, fast as hell, and ive had no problems from it at all

10+ Year Old Account
    Like many have said, I too love the Samsung 830. I haven't had any probs with OCZ vertex series either, and the Vertex 4 (with the latest firmware) is supposed to be the fastest around but they are more on the expensive side.