Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it possible to jungle........

.........being a newbie? I just started playing this game, I am level 6 right now. I am reading and watching videos on how to jungle with Dr. Mundo and am buying the exact items and following the route perfectly, but it seems they have a much easier time downing the minions. Is it because I don't have a lot of mastery points or runes yet to buff my char (making me take more damage and deal less damage)? Also, I have never had somebody leash for me (I am just trying to get the hang of the game and either play with a buddy vs bots or co-op vs bots...dont want to be a detriment to others when I dont fully grasp the game yet). Anywho, any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!

It is absolutely because you don't have a lot of runes and masteries, and are not getting a leash.

A lot of junglers are much harder at lower levels for that reason, unfortunately, and that's often why you don't see many of them. Mundo in particular spends health to jungle, so it can make it even harder.

You can try and pick a more sustainable/sturdier jungler like Warwick or maybe Udyr for low level jungling, or you can hold off for a bit before starting with it. Don't feel bad about having to go back more often than high level junglers, it's not your fault-- it's to be expected with few masteries and runes and no leash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mundo is also probably not the best jungler to start with at low levels. Since you don't have the proper runes/masteries or a leash, I don't think you will have much success. Especially since mundo hurts himself. I would, as Daetur said, try warwick. Not only is he dirt cheap, but he is one of the safest jungles in the game. I think you can jungle him fine sans leash and masteries/runes.

You could also try trundle, since he has a very smooth jungle as well.

It gets a lot easier once you have runes and masteries, so bear with it.

Deleted
    I assume guys you watched started with boots+3 hp pots? When you are low leveled its better to start with cloth armor+5 hp pots, because it gives you much more sustain.

Quote Originally Posted by Andvidr View Post
    I assume guys you watched started with boots+3 hp pots? When you are low leveled its better to start with cloth armor+5 hp pots, because it gives you much more sustain.
    Yeah, cloth armor and 5 health pots is what they were using in the videos that I have seen so far.

Thanks for the info guys guess I will have to check out other champs (anybody recommend a good starting char?)

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    I think Skarner will be fine even at lvl1.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akts View Post
    I think Skarner will be fine even at lvl1.
    No, Skarner can't really jungle w/o AS reds and armor yellows.

I think Warwick is your safest choice.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amontoya86 View Post
    .........being a newbie? I just started playing this game, I am level 6 right now. I am reading and watching videos on how to jungle with Dr. Mundo and am buying the exact items and following the route perfectly, but it seems they have a much easier time downing the minions. Is it because I don't have a lot of mastery points or runes yet to buff my char (making me take more damage and deal less damage)? Also, I have never had somebody leash for me (I am just trying to get the hang of the game and either play with a buddy vs bots or co-op vs bots...dont want to be a detriment to others when I dont fully grasp the game yet). Anywho, any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!
    Actually I'd say you're doing it wrong playing against bots. You're always matched with players of roughly the same level as yourself anyway. In other words, mostly everybody you're going play with are just as new as you are, but the more you level the more experienced players will be in PvP.

That kind of makes your plan backfire doesn't it?

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    No, Skarner can't really jungle w/o AS reds and armor yellows.

I think Warwick is your safest choice.
    I jungled with cant-remember-which-but-not-AS reds just fine with boots+3 barely using pots. Cloth+5 can do without runes, IMHO.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

Deleted
    why do you start as mundo?
    thats not really a useful jungler as a newbie.

try out nunu first. he is faster, easier to play and ... a yeti!
    no seriously, nunu is one awesome jungler, and doesnt depend that much on runes or masteries.

Playing with runes and masteries makes a huge difference, especially as a jungler

Quote Originally Posted by Andvidr View Post
    Right. It's only necessary to go boots with 3 health potions if you're planning on getting red for early ganks/counter-jungling. However, worry about those methods after knowing your jungling basics.
    My General Gaming Blog *Latest Updated: 9/25/14*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post
    no seriously, nunu is one awesome jungler, and doesnt depend that much on runes or masteries.
    This would be my suggestion as well, even more so than Warwick (who is another viable low level pick). His Q chomps down with true damage on minions/Neutral Mobs, giving him essentially two smites. Additionally, it heals him and becomes free after a few basic attacks. His Blood Boil helps him move from place to place fast and his Snowball will help with ganks. He is not the best ganker (far from, tbh), but he's extremely safe in the jungle.

Deleted
    In my opinion u need a lot of experience to play jungle well, but also u are level 6 and ur opponents will be really noobs then u can play jungle watching videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    Actually I'd say you're doing it wrong playing against bots. You're always matched with players of roughly the same level as yourself anyway. In other words, mostly everybody you're going play with are just as new as you are, but the more you level the more experienced players will be in PvP.

That kind of makes your plan backfire doesn't it?
    I did PvP last night, jungled decently I believe (with Dr. Mundo) cause I had somebody leash. Unfortunately, at the 3 minute mark I see "Mundo you blow stop playing this game you are a horrible jungle". I asked him why and how I could improve and his response was "you should be level 5 by now but because your suck your lvl 3 and now were going to lose".

Does he have a valid point? I wish people would give hints or tips instead of insult.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post
    why do you start as mundo?
    thats not really a useful jungler as a newbie.

Nunu faster than the fastest jungler in the game... False. Although I would agree that he is much easier to start with because he brings innate sustain and a second smite in his kit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Amontoya86 View Post
    I did PvP last night, jungled decently I believe (with Dr. Mundo) cause I had somebody leash. Unfortunately, at the 3 minute mark I see "Mundo you blow stop playing this game you are a horrible jungle". I asked him why and how I could improve and his response was "you should be level 5 by now but because your suck your lvl 3 and now were going to lose".

Does he have a valid point? I wish people would give hints or tips instead of insult.
    Sounds like just another stupid player. People will spew out insults for whatever reasons, good or bad.

Honestly though, you should probably avoid the jungle for quite some time.

First and foremost; it's unlikely that the opposing team has a jungler making the top lane a 2v1 which most new players won't be able to handle at all. Secondly, a jungler is mostly effective when he can gank and - this is something not even many 1000 win lvl 30 players have realized yet - you can't do it alone but need a strong laners to be able to gank. Even making players notice you're coming in for a gank is a lot to ask (tip: alt + left click pings where your marker is located, spam it when going in for a gank and people should notice something's going on).

But primarly, you're just too weak in the jungle at low account levels for it to be effective. I tried jungling with my smurf account and I felt it was pointless. You clear slowly, suffer a lot of damage and you're after in EXP and low on health constantly. Either go with a really high sustain jungler (Warwick or Nunu for instance) and/or wait until you got full tier 3 runes (account level 20 earliest).

10+ Year Old Account
    I pretty much only use Nocturne. I'm rather horrible and tend to mix Jungle and Lane, depends really. Nocturne is weak early in the game, but after about level 5 it starts to pick up quite decently, actually. He's my favorite champion by far, I pretty much only use him :3

Only level 8 though, so dont have many runes or mastery points. Oh well.
    Hi

WW and nunu make very good low level jungle chars, for some reason when i started I was instantly drawn to the jungle, and these two were the ones i found most success with without runes, primarily due to very good sustain via their healing abilitys.

nunu ganks can be pretty amazing, esp if enemy is pushing, getting away from that slow aint happening.

One tip, if you intend to stick with jungling watch streams, when i was new i had lol on one screen and theoddone on another, learned a hell of a lot.

Deleted
    It's because you don't have the runes/masteries, I only started jungling at lvl 30 because I found it impossible earlier.