Transferring Horde to Alliance

I've never transferred a character from one faction to the other. If I were to do that now, would I lose anything? I've heard people mention that factions have a slightly varying number of total achievements/points or a few mounts that don't transfer or something. Is there anything like that I need to keep in mind if I were to transfer?
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Deleted
    I think the only thing you loose is the Argent Tournament achievements, and progress on achievements like "A Simple Re-Quest"

Well this just sounds awful for me. Will I have to do the entire Argent Tournament over again? I've got nearly every achievement related to it and have zero plans to do them again.

Do all of my Horde-only reputations convert to their Alliance counterpart?
    Jsz

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    Well this just sounds awful for me. Will I have to do the entire Argent Tournament over again? I've got nearly every achievement related to it and have zero plans to do them again.

Argent Tournament ones do not, cities and BC faction (Kurenai/Maghar) do convert

The only rep you gain at the Argent Tournament is Argent Crusade rep. You might have to restart some of the individual city quest chains, but as those quests also net rep with their respective cities you'll keep your rep with the analagous Alliance cities.

To my knowledge, Achievement's don't change at all, but double check the Q/A or open a ticket to ask.

I recently faction transferred. I had to redo ALL of the Argent Tournament achievements (you have to start from the beginning with the training). That rep was not converted to its counterpart (I forget what the Alliance one is but the Horde is the Sunreavers). The Call to Arms bg achieve progress was reset, and a lot of zone quest progress was adjusted. I think all other reps were converted fine. You have to redo the cata zone quests that get you the portals (TH, Vash'jir). I think that's it.

This sounds fucking awful. Do they not get enough complaints to look into this as something they could fix? I don't ever want to ride a fucking jousting mount again.
    Jsz

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't do ett, alliance sucks.

Been from Horde to Alliance and back to Horde.

What happens:

-Lose portals to some of the Cata zones and have to do their initial quests again to unlock portals.
    -Lose Argent Tourney achievements and progress. Meaning yes, you have to spend the ~month doing dailies to get the achievements back.
    -Lose TB dailies quest (Just another day in Tol Barad).
    -Lose some achievements which have x progress to them.
    -Lose Dragonmaw Tour of Duty

However, if you have already done them on the specific faction, then they will retain. ie. You did Argent Tournament on Horde, then xferred to Alliance which reset them. Once going back to Horde, it will pick up wherever you were on Horde (if you had them all done, then they will be all done when returning to Horde). Applies to all of the above, including portal quests.

The rest of achievements seem to xfer over to their appropriate counterpart, these are just the ones I noticed and there could be few other things I'm missing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Just a warning, don't do Faction Change and Character Transfer simultaneously as it might cause you character to bug out (your name gets reserved on the new server and you can't choose your own name until you contact a GM to fix it).

It has happened for me several times when I have migrated from Horde to Alliance and also to a new server. I hope they have fixed it already though.

You'll lose some if not all Cataclysm 80+ zone progress though and you'll have to open some of the portals to the zones again. You'll keep your quest achievements though.
    I'm guessing what you have done is changed your name on the same screen where you have chosen your new race.
    Once you have chosen your race and new looks click accept without changing your name Dragothica5E49F1.
    Login
    Then change your name when prompted.

If you change your name on the race selection screen it will still ask you to change your name when logging but have your chosen name as already in use!

One thing to be careful of is your progress on certain quest lines. My Wife transferred a couple of her alts in the middle of the Therazane reputation non-repeatable quest chains and when she returned to deepholm on these characters she was unable to continue them, locking them out of max level shoulder enchants. I believe she was eventually able to get blizzard to correct this for one of them but it took a couple of tickets and her threatening to unsubscribe and demanding her transfer money back to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    I believe she was eventually able to get blizzard to correct this for one of them but it took a couple of tickets and her threatening to unsubscribe and demanding her transfer money back to get it done.
    I'd much much prefer to cause some customer service shit and get the achievements that way after transferring rather than doing all that shit over again. I know the cautionary tale that GMs are rarely (if ever) allowed to grant achievements but I've also seen it happen for friends, although the CS reps will surely argue that the circumstances are different. But unless the F.A.Q or some other information on the Blizzard faction transfer page explicitly says "Your progress for shit you already put the time in for will be unjustly wiped" then I'm sure a case could be made.

Maybe I'm just angry.
    Jsz

I just thought of something.

If I wait until patch 5.0.4 drops with the pre-MoP event and all of the achievement sharing, I should be fine to faction change (if need be) without losing progress on anything, correct?
    Jsz

The biggest thing to be careful of when faction xferring is if you are on a legendary quest chain (specifically DWTR stage 3). We had our mage in guild do just a race change and when he did it dropped his quest when he was on stage 3 of the quest and he had to start that part over. I know you are talking about a faction change and not a race change but I'm pretty sure it makes you drop quests when you faction change as well.

I just thought of something.

If I wait until patch 5.0.4 drops with the pre-MoP event and all of the achievement sharing, I should be fine to faction change (if need be) without losing progress on anything, correct?
    Cannot confirm this.

However, their FAQ still specifically makes the point you will lose some achievements:
    Note: All achievements relating to the Argent Tournament will be reset. All PVP Achievement progress will be lost, including Tol Barad Veteran.
    http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...-change-faq#12

I doubt in the case of these that the MoP changes will affect this. They still count as separate achievements done so you will likely need to redo them.

I didn't see anybody mention Tranquillen rep. It gets removed once you go Horde -> Alliance

Some zones for loremaster may need to be redone since they are Alliance-only zones (Darkshore, Westfall, etc). You should still retain the meta if that is completed.

The horde-only Argent Tournament achievements do not convert. "Pony Up" and similar ones that are not faction specific may transfer. (Note: you may find yourself able to ride the horde-only mounts at the Argent Tournament after transferring to Alliance.)

Winterspring rep will be at 0/3000, but if you completed the similar raptor mount quests in Un'goro, those mounts will convert to Winterspring mounts.

Other quests may be locked out to you. Make sure that you complete any long-winded chains, such as Veteran of the Wrathgate, before transferring.

Any quest-specific items will be lost, along with the quests tied to them.

---------- Post added 2012-07-24 at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    One thing to be careful of is your progress on certain quest lines. My Wife transferred a couple of her alts in the middle of the Therazane reputation non-repeatable quest chains and when she returned to deepholm on these characters she was unable to continue them, locking them out of max level shoulder enchants. I believe she was eventually able to get blizzard to correct this for one of them but it took a couple of tickets and her threatening to unsubscribe and demanding her transfer money back to get it done.
    Heres one for you. When I did my first faction change, I lost achievements that I shouldn't have. Most of my Loremaster completed achievements went missing (aka Un'Goro, Silithus, etc) and I was unable to complete them. It took me about a week to get a "fix" completed for these achievements.

When they "fixed" my character for the achievements, it wiped all of my reps with any Horde-specific faction, including PvP related factions. I had to wait another 2 weeks to get a fix for that also.

On top of that, certain areas were phased out incorrectly for me. I was unable to see anybody near ICC. I was unable to complete the Veteran of the Wrathgate. Another 2 weeks to fix that.

One of the GMs (think it was Bashitok or Orlya) had to jump on my toon to see what was going on. At the same time, I was trying to log onto the same character and getting a "character is unavailable." Logged onto another toon and got the opportunity to whisper myself and see a GM tag next to my name. Freaking weird.