Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    You'd have to keep the brain intact, and it has limited life as well. It'll expire and die no matter what. SO you'd want to "upload" your mind to an artificial brain? Tough, but that's like copying a computer program. It's an identical copy of you that will continue running exactly like you would, but the original, the thing that really was you, is dead and gone for good. You got switched off, but when your copy is switched on, your lights will stay off. To everybody in the world, even the copy, it seems as if you have just been transferred and continue living. From your point of view, you are dead.

It's a very simple concept, and requires no supernatural bogus like souls or spirit. Conciousness is just a state created by complex reactions of matter, and just because some other matter elsewhere repeats the exact pattern doesn't make the conciousness they form the exact same one.

There is no immortality unless you make the biological brain live forever.

Even if this happens, you only buy yourself more time. You can't escape death. They would have to stop the brain from aging. Even if they could do that, immortality is not the same as invincibility; you can still die.

Immortality is a dream for people afraid of death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    Back then we had a lot less knowledge, little computational power and so forth. I guess if corporations wanted we would of had flying cars already, or at least somewhat flying. By somewhat I mean maybe few hundred feet, just a terrible guesstimate.
    Relative to the knowledge we'll have in the future, I'm sure people will say the same things about us. Simply because our scientific knowledge had increased doesn't mean we're impervious to confusing real science with science fiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Relative to the knowledge we'll have in the future, I'm sure people will say the same things about us. Simply because our scientific knowledge had increased doesn't mean we're impervious to confusing real science with science fiction.
    What has been Science Fictions few decades back is a reality now. There are plenty of examples. Maybe not so far fetched, maybe I am just optimistic.

The computational power does have a lot to do with development process.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Just what we need, immortal bankers! *shudder*
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Sorry, but the source is daily mail, enough said there really.
    Not saying they can't research it but it would be very unlikely to see in our lifetime I think.

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ot-bodies.html

I sense a Scam, I wonder how many "billionaires" will do this.
    Assuming for a moment this is true, I wonder how long after it actually happens that the progressives claim it as a basic human right and force it on taxpayers so EVERYONE can have one.

Lets all live forever till we actually have to start living on top of each other!

Sounds a bit far from reality, but hey 10 years ago i would of laughed if someone described me an Iphone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds cool and it's not like it's that far out there. Think of what can happen in 33 years.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    Heh. Well, I immediately see a problem with the underlying concept. Sorry, folks, but the brain ages, too. People don't grow senile because they have liver spots.... or do they?
    well yes, that's what step C an D are there for. the others are just intermediate steps.

I do see this comming, but I don't think we will be that lucky (ie not in the next 50 years) but maybe our children/grandchildren will have better chances. And as it will be that cost-intensive to develop (and probably also high resource costs), it will be horribly expensive for quite a long time, and not accessible for us normal people. (not to talk about a huge % of humanity in the 3rd world etc)
    Last edited by TheTrueM4gg0t; 2012-07-19 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrueM4gg0t View Post
    well yes, that's what step C an D are there for. the others are just intermediate steps.
    As the poster at the top of the page pointed out, these options (if even plausible) are just copies of dead person. The original copy (you the individual) are quite dead. All that is left is a robotic copy with your memories that thinks its you.

Perhaps I'm being too sceptical but it just sounds unrealistic, when he says "Our civilization has come very close to the creation of such technologies" what technologies is he referring to specifically? In my opinion his claims would have a lot more credibility if he explained how exactly he plans on preserving the brain and all of it's functions.

Don't get me wrong it's a very cool idea but this man's announcement just sounds very suspicious and unreliable, but I suppose all great ideas are met with scepticism but it would have been nice if there was more substance behind the idea.

Let say they make this happen.
    After years of years more and more people will be "immortal", lets face it. It would be mass crises.
    Why? Because the population on earth is riseing too fast, and if people stop dieing, at the same time as billions are born etcetc, then "we" would have to start killing eachother in the end.

It would also not be "ok" with commen people for "rich" people to get them, just as its not ok for them to not pay taxes like "commen" people have to.

Altho i dont know what will happend, but i know the human race still spitting out more and more children
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

It's a cool idea. It's dangerous to scam billionaires for money, so I hope they know what they are doing. Or more likely they are just very well connected, so have nothing to fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Let say they make this happen.
    After years of years more and more people will be "immortal", lets face it. It would be mass crises.
    Why? Because the population on earth is riseing too fast, and if people stop dieing, at the same time as billions are born etcetc, then "we" would have to start killing eachother in the end.

It would also not be "ok" with commen people for "rich" people to get them, just as its not ok for them to not pay taxes like "commen" people have to.

Altho i dont know what will happend, but i know the human race still spitting out more and more children
    You really wouldn't be human if you undertake this process. Population will keep rising, and I doubt this sort of thing will happen for another 50 years, maybe towards the end of this century. Killing each other, well doubtful unless we would lack food of course but in-vitro meat etc...

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    It's a cool idea. It's dangerous to scam billionaires for money, so I hope they know what they are doing. Or more likely they are just very well connected, so have nothing to fear.
    Russians tend to be well connected ^^
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruthless View Post
    I would hope that this whole thing wouldn't turn to a debate about beliefs. I for once believe that people have a soul and it is something more than just electric activity. I still think that this thread is about other things than that...

I believe in Souls to. I will never forsake who I am. Oh and this thread reminds me of Futurerama with those famous celebs heads.

15+ Year Old Account
    The fact they include the possibility of immortality through brain transplant into a robot clearly shows they know all alot about the lifespan of a brain.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    As the poster at the top of the page pointed out, these options (if even plausible) are just copies of dead person. The original copy (you the individual) are quite dead. All that is left is a robotic copy with your memories that thinks its you.
    yes I understand that. but as others said, the human brain can not surive (ie be immortal) as long as we can not find something against the process aging. (ie organic weathering if you know what i'm trying to say).
    but maybe there will be a way to totally transfer you're brain on to another form of existance, not just simply copy your brain activity (or whatever), but transfer you (your conciousness, mind, "soul" or however you call it) into the robot. writing this down, it seems even more unlikely though...
    I'm defenetly excited to see what technology brings next :-)
    Last edited by TheTrueM4gg0t; 2012-07-19 at 11:25 PM.