Do Beast Mastery Hunters still need Exotic Pets?

I was wondering how regular pets stack up to exotic pets in the mist of pandaria beta, With pet talent trees being able to be choosen i think a lot of customization is being given to hunters, but now non beast mastery hunters have 33 pet families to use for any of the 3 trees of their choice while beast mastery only have the 10 exotic families. I love exotic pets and love it that i can now have a rhino or worm for dps or a devilsaur for pvp or even a silithid to tank, but are we able to have any of the 43 pet families or are we beast masters still have to stick with those 10?
    Last edited by Gnomenommer; 2012-07-20 at 01:41 AM.

Exotics do the same damage as non-exotics, the only difference is the buffs they bring. It's been like this since the start of Cata. If the buffs are all covered by other classes, you can use any pet.

If you're currently sticking to exotic pets only, you are missing out on some of the buff/debuffs used only by non-exotic pets.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Exotics do the same damage as non-exotics, the only difference is the buffs they bring. It's been like this since the start of Cata. If the buffs are all covered by other classes, you can use any pet.

If you're currently sticking to exotic pets only, you are missing out on some of the buff/debuffs used only by non-exotic pets.
    The thing is, I havent seen a single Beast Mastery Hunter once (and trust me i look at every hunter's pets) that doesnt have an exotic pet, and i was thinking the same thing, why not have a normal pet? but i never see any with them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomenommer View Post
    The thing is, I havent seen a single Beast Mastery Hunter once (and trust me i look at every hunter's pets) that doesnt have an exotic pet, and i was thinking the same thing, why not have a normal pet? but i never see any with them
    Generally, its because Exotics bring 2 buffs/debuffs instead of one.

Next expansion, itll vary from group to group, with most hunters either carrying around a Corehound, for the BL, or a Quilien, for the Brez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    Generally, its because Exotics bring 2 buffs/debuffs instead of one.

Next expansion, itll vary from group to group, with most hunters either carrying around a Corehound, for the BL, or a Quilien, for the Brez.
    yeah this is what I was worrying about, i want to have any pet i want like survival and marksmenship hunters get but i love Beast Mastery gameplay and play style :/ i have had a corehound forever, so i guess i am stuck with Quillen forever now while in my favorite spec haha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomenommer View Post
    Because most people might use it as a OS and they bring normal pets that they can use as any spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, nothing is cooler than a devilsaur :>!

10+ Year Old Account
    in PvE, Generally people trying to maximize the buff allocation have little to no choice in the type of pet they bring to a fight because the buffs/debuffs trump the aesthetics.

SV and MM goes:
    Default is Cat
    If AG/ST buff is provided, then Wolf
    If AG/ST Buff and +5% crit buff are provided, then Windserpent/Dragonhawk for SV and Ravager/Hyena/Raptor/.... for MM
    If All raid buffs and Debuffs are accounted for, then any pet you like.

BM goes:
    Default is Spirit Beast,
    If AG/ST buff is provided, then Devilsaur
    If AG/ST Buff and +5% crit buff are provided, then then Core Hound
    If AG/ST Buff and +5% crit buff and Blood Lust are provided, then etc. etc. etc.

Also Beast Masters have no exotic tank pets with the Hardened Carapace (beetle) or Shell Shield (turtle) skill, and since that is probably the best ability for a pet as a pocket-tank, you could say that BM has no BM specific tank pet-type. although Shale Spider is pretty close.