Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Devinser View Post
    Can't agree here.

This is quite similar with how things are in SC2. Games played =/= rating. Of course the more you play - the better you get, but that's not all it takes. In SC2 there are people with 3k wins still in silver league (not portrait farmers) and people who've reached masters league after like 500 wins.

It has a lot to do with your approach.
    Can't agree with this. The people with 3k wins in silver league are outliners in the statistics, most people with 3k wins are almost all masters league or above. Of course to get the very top you can't just say that games played = rating, because at the very top the amount of games becomes a less and less usefull indication of skill.

There's a saying that for you to become good at something you have to do it 10000 times.

There's a saying that for you to become good at something you have to do it 10000 times.
    That's correct but in some cases, lets take sc2 as an example, you can 6-pool 10000 times and never get out of platinum. Neither will you start understanding the game. You'll be good at 6-pooling, sure, but you will never win a macro game.

That said, you won't get any better if you tunnelvision 10000 arena games. You actually have to know exactly what to do, know how to react, know what and when went wrong and practise/avoid/improve it 10000 to get better.
    Last edited by Devinser; 2012-07-20 at 12:52 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    There's too many examples that prove your point wrong. The best players are usually the best because they're damn good at balancing real life and their hobbies.
    I have to agree. You can be the best and still have tons of free time to do everything else. Or rather, the best do everything else and still have enough time to be good at whatever it is they do.

May not be true for harder or more time consuming, serious activities but I believe this to be applicable to every single video game out there, for example.

PS: As for the actual theme at hand, looking at the multi-glad/rank 1 armories and at the games played will likely not be a very accurate estimate to how much they play the game - you're leaving out alts (which most have a lot of, different classes, you name it), boosts, characters sold, etc.

Edit: Another thing to know is that most of the better people have that many arenas because they've been playing for a long time, a PvPer's character that dates far back to TBC or even WotLK is bound to have tons of games, not only because of the whole "practice makes perfect" deal but also because it's something they like to do. If you enjoy doing something, be it because you're good at it or for other reasons, you're going to do it whenever possible right? Take my character for example, it was made the day WoW was launched in the EU, I have like 14k arena games played because it's what I love doing in this game, even though I've stopped spamming games for practice a long time ago and don't even play that much.
    Last edited by mmoc9b719c3609; 2012-07-20 at 04:32 PM.

It's my first season and I'm 2.2k+.

Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    It's my first season and I'm 2.2k+.

Huh.
    rogue, lock or resto shaman?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Warrior, loljoke.

Practice makes perfect, that's pretty obvious.

Deleted
    Judging for other posts, I think it's this DK http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Malgru/simple . Though I don't see a 2.2k there.

Anyways, playing is obviously important. I don't get how many people expect to choose a comp and get asap to 2.2k, even if they have never played arenas seriously. Being a good player only makes you learn faster, not skip the phase.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2012-07-21 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    Death Knight.
    Not hard to spam necrotic, I'll admit.

edit: yes, but I'm playing with Diggles and he said we should be getting 2.2k+ in the next week or so. So yeah.

Deleted
    Death Knight.

edit: yes, but I'm playing with Diggles and he said we should be getting 2.2k+ in the next week or so. So yeah.
    God damn it you are troll, you said in some topic that you want glad from this season and now you said that you got 2,2k though you got 1,9k and got carried to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    What was said by the OP surely is correct but....isn't it kind of obvious? Naturally, more experience results in better players.

Death Knight.

mmm, carried to savior and a 416 weapon by Intent, carried to 2.2k by Diggles. we have a real winner here.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

10+ Year Old Account
    either practice or ddosing and wintrading....or all of the above ^^

Know what else is important? A good internet connection.

http://www.twitch.tv/hammerpairs 7/7 Mythic EN / 3/3 Mythic ToV / 10/10 Mythic NH / 9/9 Mythic ToS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmNLMo4vcI some old school CM fun
    "Your lights will go out. The darkness will envelop you. And you will fear the shadows that move within it."

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a word for it. They recently named it Practice. Scientists suggest it makes you better at things. Imagine that .....
    I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me.
    We are not monsters! We are not the mindless wretches of a ghoul army! NO! We are a force even more terrifying! We are the chill in a coward's spine! We are the instruments of an unyielding ire! WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theholypally View Post
    Know what else is important? A good internet connection.
    Truth, tried to play tonight - our resto shaman DC'd 3 games out of 9 - so we gave up :/ He's apparently going to call his ISP tomorrow morning.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Ultimately what it boils down to is number of arena games played. If you check the PvP statistics on players' armories, you will see that every rank 1 or multi-glad has played thousands upon thousands of arena games... usually ranging from 7,000-20,000+ games played. There is no rank 1 or multi-glad whos played only 700 arena games unless its a new character they made... they are so good at arenas because they have so much experience and it all became second nature.

I'm on a very highly populated PvP server and see people looking for 3's... for example ranging from 1500 - 2200. I took this theory & checked peoples armories... nobody has anything close to even 5,000 games played when they've been playing the game for years. Even players at 2300 for example, played since 2007 and only have 3,000 games played. A lot of players below 2200 have played the game for many years & don't have anything more than 1,000 arena games played. Day in and day out I see familiar faces in trade chat looking for arenas, they've been playing their character for many years and have about 700 games played... this is the difference between a multi-rank 1 and a mediocre player. Also if you think I'm blowing smoke, go check the multi-glads / rank 1's and see how many games they've played compared to the average players playing for years.

i will agree with this because its logic is sound but does that mean i should be a multi glad ? ive over 11k on my main and over 20k arenas played in the time of wow at least lol ... and im not including the time spent on TR
    Last edited by Divineknight13; 2012-07-24 at 08:58 AM.

i agree, you have to make arena seem second nature to you, so you get to the point where u can joke around and win with ease on most games, you should not have to try hard when your high rated, it will basically be another day in another arena.