Importing save files into Steam

Hey all I wanted to buy Fallout new vegas off steam. But I have already played a "less than legit version" about 3/4 of the way through. I was wondering if steam would accept the saved file?

Currently I have my saved game in docs/games/FNV

AND if steam will allow the new game, where will it store it?

Thanks.

** IK piracy is bad, I DL'd to test it out as a demo... ended up playing 14 hours straight.
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

Steam does have a file for saves. But not sure if you manually create the file and put the save in, if it will work. Not sure if Steam adds anything to the files to prevent this, or piracy.

I would recommend just starting again. Play it through more seriously at the start, collect more stuff and improve your gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I would recommend just starting again. Play it through more seriously at the start, collect more stuff and improve your gameplay.
    See the thing is. I did play seriously, I Have a sniper rifle and everything! I don't wanna lose it. But they deserve some money!
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

10+ Year Old Account
    Steam games save in lots of weird locations. There are websites around that will tell you where to find New Vegas' save location though and you shouldn't have a problem transferring your save.

A little poking around tells me the save location should be somewhere in My Documents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    A little poking around tells me the save location should be somewhere in My Documents.
    thanks for the info. And yes you are correct, doc/my games/ FalloutNV specifically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Steam games save in lots of weird locations. There are websites around that will tell you where to find New Vegas' save location though and you shouldn't have a problem transferring your save.
    Well that's not really Steam's fault, more of the Dev's. Remember which publisher / dev and they generally have some save pattern. Like borderlands saved in my documents under game. This is how the game itself reads even if you don't have it on Steam.

Anyways. Yeah, just usually some searching can be done, poking around under the game (in this case steamapps > common) directory, or sometimes it'd be in some weird location.