$2000 Build - Need advice and questions

Hey there,

I'm looking to build my first pc seeing as my current HP elite series from 3 years ago is dieing from frequent crashes. I'm not entirely new to pc's but I'm new in terms of what works and possible compatibility issues I might run into. I made a mock shopping cart from Newegg with all the things I would need at the near limit to my budget. I need advice on whether I would run into any issues or if there is a better deal to be found from what I have chosen. I really want to lower the price but it isn't the end all. But a lower price in the $1800 range would be awesome. The one thing that I cannot budge on is the graphics card choice and the mouse as my Razer Naga is pretty much annoying to use because of the double clicking on both sensors. I already own a mechanical keyboard and won't be buying one.

The choice of the Newegg is because that is the one name I assume I can trust and they will ship all the items in one batch(?). Any advice on this matter is appreciated as well.

The potential components:

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (139.99 - instant $10 off included)
    MOBO: MSI Z77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS ($119.99)
    GPU: EVGA Signature 04G-P4-2692-KR GeForce GTX 690 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card ($1049.99)
    Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 ($169.99)
    PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX) 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply ($189.99 - instant $10 off included)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K ($229.99)
    CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 - instant $5 off included)
    HDD/SSD:
    - Boot : Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) ($99.99 - instant $10 off included)
    - Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ($109.99 - instant $40 off included)
    Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse 910-002864 Black 20 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse ($79.99)

Thanks in advance!

PS: I only later noticed that I am not able to post links so there goes my painstakingly formatted links to the components and prices. I'll just list the prices next to the items. The names of the components are taken verbatim from Newegg so they are easily found by copy/pasting into Newegg.

Looking at Newegg as of this moment, you might aswell up on the MOBO by either paying $101.99 on a Z77A-G45 purely for the option to SLI in the future. Or for the same price of £119.99 the Z77A-GD65 be it without the free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813130643R Z77A-GD65

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813130645R Z77a-G45

At a guess you want to be purchasing it with the extended warranty for 1 year? If so you can ignore this suggestion since it is without :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you are planning on running several 120hz or 3d displays you won't be needing a gtx690. A 670 or 680 will max all current games easily and suffice you for a good amount of time. Also, they cost less than half. Save the money to upgrade to newer gen tech once your machine doesn't cut it anymore. The PSU is too strong for those cards. you would be fine with any decent 600W (or even less) psu. Also, the memory seems kinda expensive. Not only can you drop down to 8gb without reducing performance in games, but you could also look for a better deal for 16 gb. If you really want to spend your money, you could think about a larger ssd.
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.3 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | Corsair XMS3 PC-12800 8gb | MSI Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr III x2 Crossfire | Crucial M4 128gb | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb | BeQuiet! Straight Power E9 580W modular | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo | Fractal Design Arc Midi

Quote Originally Posted by Nips View Post
    Unless you are planning on running several 120hz or 3d displays you won't be needing a gtx690. A 670 or 680 will max all current games easily and suffice you for a good amount of time. Also, they cost less than half. Save the money to upgrade to newer gen tech once your machine doesn't cut it anymore. The PSU is too strong for those cards. you would be fine with any decent 600W (or even less) psu. Also, the memory seems kinda expensive. Not only can you drop down to 8gb without reducing performance in games, but you could also look for a better deal for 16 gb. If you really want to spend your money, you could think about a larger ssd.

I forgot to mention what I intend to use my computer for. I am a gamer first that only buys computers every 5-6 years so that is why I dont plan on touching this computer once I buy/build it. I also run 3 monitors and do some video editing/photoshop. Don't really care for a bigger ssd as I only need it for booting and a couple of programs. I already own a NAS that takes care of my storage for me. The graphics card was just a treat for myself, I guess.

As for the memory, any links or brand names you are referring to get a better deal? I need 16gb in order to 1. future proof and 2. to handle video editing and photoshop scratch.

The PSU recommended for the GTX 690 was listed as 650 Watts and so I didn't want to be at full power usage all the time. Any recommendations on this front would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Dropndestroyrr; 2012-07-20 at 12:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nips View Post
    This. If you'd really be that happy about a $200 price reduction then PLEASE don't go for a 690. It is a waste of money. At the time in the future where the power of a 690 would really matter, there will be cards of a newer generation (= more features) for a much lower price. Only go for a 690 (or 7990, or any dual GPU card or SLI/Crossfire) if you don't care about money or the extreme power consumption and plan to upgrade the video card with the next-gen dual GPU card.

Example: You have a budget of 1000 Dollars over a time period of 3 years for your video card. Two options:
    1) You buy a 690. After 3 years you still have it and it's performing well. However, with a high power consumption along all three years and in the meantime one or two new video card generation(s) was/were launched.
    2) You buy a 680 for $500. After 1.5 years you upgrade to a 780 for $500. After 3 years you have a video card of the current generation performing (presumably) similar to the 690, however, with less power consumption.

Disadvantages of 1): extremely expensive, "old" video card after 3 years, draws a lot of power over 3 years
    Advantages of 1): You have the best performing video card on the market at the time of purchase (with more power than you need) and can brag about it

Disadvantages of 2): You don't have the best performing video card on the market at the time of purchase
    Advantages of 2): newer video card after the same amount of time, more cost-efficient (you won't notice the difference in performance), less power consumption which results in a lower electric bill