10+ Year Old Account

The math behind rested time

Hey,

Last night I took my very last toon through hyal and part of deepholm. He had full rested xp and it's way less of a burden to do this compared to last week when I levelled my one but last toon to 85. Since I'm in no real rush as he just needs to be 85 before mop launch I plant to max out his rested xp and then take him to 85. However I got real curious about the math behind rested xp.

I was always under the impression that rested xp was a flat number of experience (i.e. 5% of your current level per 8 hours in a town/inn, or 1 week offline time to max out rested time). However yesterday I went from lvl 80 + 20% to lvl 82 + 40%, all the time while rested.

The script I used for years for my rested xp is

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetXPExhaustion());
    So I'm wondering if something has changed or if someone can explain the real math behind it. And with mop around the corner and having to level a ton of toons, I'd like to rotate between them as efficiently as possible.

cheers

Deleted
    The reason you were still rested even though you gained more than 2 levels is that rested XP only affects that gained through killing mobs/gathering professions, quest XP is unaffected and thereferore doesn't take up your allocation of "rested XP". In that sense if you had a full 2 levels of rested XP you could technically gain something closer to 3 levels via questing in one go before the rested status is depleted. As for the rate at which you gain rested XP I cannot help you but I do not believe it has changed in any significant manner over the years

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    with mop around the corner and having to level a ton of toons, I'd like to rotate between them as efficiently as possible.

cheers
    get altoholic, it will tell you how much rest state your toons have in total, without needing to relog. (as long as you have logged them once, it should figure it out)
    <insert witty signature here>

10+ Year Old Account
    Cheers, that explains. I do have altoholic setup across multiple accounts for my inventory/auctions/gbanks, but never realised that it could always display the rested xp. Good tip.

Deleted
    Cheers, that explains. I do have altoholic setup across multiple accounts for my inventory/auctions/gbanks, but never realised that it could always display the rested xp. Good tip.
    Didnt know that either up to now

This is definitely gonna help me in MoP.

Deleted
    I was always under the impression that rested xp was a flat number of experience (i.e. 5% of your current level per 8 hours in a town/inn, or 1 week offline time to max out rested time). However yesterday I went from lvl 80 + 20% to lvl 82 + 40%, all the time while rested.
    Rested Experience is Idd 5% of your current level per 8 hours in town/inn to a max of 150% (30 bars/1.5 level). However since it only counts for mob kills ( maybe gathering professions but not sure ) you will only lose rested when you actually kill mobs. When completing quest or other things that grant experience that don't get multiplied by rested it shift the bar slightly further. So when doing allot of quest will actually mean your rested bar will be there allot longer then that 1.5 level.

I'm not that good at explaining but hope you get what I mean :P