Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    So that guy that shot up those people at the Denver cinema for the Dark Knight Rises premiere deserves a chance to defend his actions?

LOL.
    No, he doesn't deserve it. But if he's not allowed the chance, then neither is anyone else.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I don't understand why they don't just take these people out into the street and shoot them.
    So, based on your opinion ... you should be shot as soon as I claim you're a child rapist?

I don't understand why they don't just take these people out into the street and shoot them.
    This is an absurd claim. As Ayeri stated, it's a safeguard. It's easily to accuse people of crimes, and sadly, if you're accused, you're more often than not labeled as guilty, regardless of the outcome.

Deleted
    So that guy that shot up those people at the Denver cinema for the Dark Knight Rises premiere deserves a chance to defend his actions?

LOL.
    Maybe not but we have to show that we are more civilized than people like him or Breivik etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they are guilty we shouldn't go around and kill people we don't like.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    While I do think the justice system is borked, just outright killing them first is not the answer.

However, after being proven guilty, I agree. 9mm rounds are cheap, effective, and we don't have to spend millions a year to keep these twats in jail and/or pay for 'lethal injection'. Rofl. I'll lethally inject a bullet into the back of your skull, and it won't cost a ton of money!

Not humane, you say? Nor was what they did to deserve being there in the first place.
    How do people still not know that death sentences cost more than actually holding the person in prison for life?... Yes, it costs more to sentence them to death! Why? Because a death sentence can't be reversed, so the whole investigation is much more thorough, and even with this "special" investigation they still make mistakes and execute innocents every year. Still think death penalty is a good system? Think again.

Because everybody, even serial offendors, has the right to a free and unbiased trial and, until he is pronounced guilty or not guilty, is assumed to be innocent. This way the burden of evidence is on the prosecution, not the defendant. If you start denying people a fair trial, you are no better than the witch hunters of the 11th-15th centuries who would lynch a person on the evidence of "they mumbled something at me".

Don't you guys have some sort of constitution that states everyone is entitled to a free trial?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post
    Don't you guys have some sort of constitution that states everyone is entitled to a free trial?
    Here you go. I hope you find what you are looking for. Every country (except for some in third world) follows Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution, and Article 6 of the European Convention of Human Rights

Does anyone else feel like our legal system is completely out of whack? Richard Ramirez was sentenced to death over 30 years ago and probably won't ever be executed. What is wrong with this country's legal system?

Let's do a little scenario here:

A child has accused you of rape. You are innocent (weren't even anywhere near where the child says it happened) and you have proof. Somebody screws up and your evidence is gone (misplaced or something). You (obviously) are still innocent. Since you no longer have your evidence, you are guilty. At this point (according to you) you should be taken out into the street and shot. You have been killed for a crime you didn't commit.

And if you think there aren't a frightening large number of people in prison who actually are innocent, you need to wake up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

LOL.
    He was caught red handed, he was a grad student, he did this in Colorado which still has the death penalty. So he will die for his crimes. Granted a defense attorney might try and make an insanity case, but right now it looks like he was depressed because he had a minimum wage job and a degree in something intelligent.

To have a justice system we have to make laws and methods which work the same for the innocent and the guilty. He will stand trial, with a Judge and Jury of 'peers'. He will have a defense attorney. When he is sentenced to death he gets an automatic appeal which reviews the case to insure the law was fulfilled and everything was done correctly. And they he will be executed, with families of the the victims as witnesses. This system seems slow but in cases where a person is falsely accused it will help prevent innocent people from being put to death. Long ago in America we had a different system it required 3 witnesses and a priest to stand as judge and jury. This was what happened in Salem, the three witnesses where preteen girls who accused people they didn't like of being Witches. Our modern system is designed to find the truth and to prevent tragedy from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    This is an absurd claim. As Ayeri stated, it's a safeguard. It's easily to accuse people of crimes, and sadly, if you're accused, you're more often than not labeled as guilty, regardless of the outcome.
    Truth. It's like people have forgotten that the saying goes "Innocent until proven guilty" instead of the other way around.

Why do you have a jury that is set for a year from now, to gather "edvidence", when the individual himself has said he comitted the crime. Also yes, this happened. He, mid-late 30's, raped my sister, 14 at the time, and he has not had a trial yet- until February.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    He was caught red handed, he was a grad student, he did this in Colorado which still has the death penalty. So he will die for his crimes. Granted a defense attorney might try and make an insanity case, but right now it looks like he was depressed because he had a minimum wage job and a degree in something intelligent.

To have a justice system we have to make laws and methods which work the same for the innocent and the guilty. He will stand trial, with a Judge and Jury of 'peers'. He will have a defense attorney. When he is sentenced to death he gets an automatic appeal which reviews the case to insure the law was fulfilled and everything was done correctly. And they he will be executed, with families of the the victims as witnesses. This system seems slow but in cases where a person is falsely accused it will help prevent innocent people from being put to death. Long ago in America we had a different system it required 3 witnesses and a priest to stand as judge and jury. This was what happened in Salem, the three witnesses where preteen girls who accused people they didn't like of being Witches. Our modern system is designed to find the truth and to prevent tragedy from happening.
    actually he will most likely NOT be put to death. I actually live a few miles from the theater where this happened. I dont believe Colorado has executed anyone in over 30 years, the state is a bit liberal in that regard
    I grew up in the era where you had to go to channel 3 to play video games.

This is a horrible troll...

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-07-22 at 06:22 AM.
    Desktop - AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8ghz - 8GB DDR3 OCZ - Sapphire 7870
    Laptop - M11X. Revision1 - 1.7ghz ULV Dual Core - 4GB DDR2 - GT335M

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    It's innocent before proven guilty, not the other way around.
    This. EVERYONE is entitled to a fair trial infront of a jury of their peers. No matter how you may think of the person, they are presumed innocent until the jury has decided otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angryshammy View Post
    actually he will most likely NOT be put to death. I actually live a few miles from the theater where this happened. I dont believe Colorado has executed anyone in over 30 years, the state is a bit liberal in that regard
    Since 1977, Colorado has only put one man to death, and that was in 1997.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Are you trolling?

"Why do they have trials...?" Probably because "innocent until proven guilty"? Otherwise, you know, I could walk up to some random guy on the street I've never met before, yell out "he raped my baby sister" and stand by while a police officer comes over and shoots him in the face.

You must be trolling.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-07-22 at 06:21 AM.

1. Every single person has the right to a fair trial by a jury of their peers.

2. Once upon a time that didn't used to be the case, and people would just get drug out into the street and killed.

3. But then people realized that innocent people were being wrongfully killed by mistake.

4. Would you want to be accused of child rape or murder, and then drug out into the street and killed without a trial?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

He will not be put to death, he may get the "death penalty" but that just means he will sit in prison for the next 80 years while his case goes through the 8 billion appeals he is "allowed"
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.