10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

This thread is about thinking

For the people who like to think, what are your thoughts on… well anything really?

I think to keep this a safe or sane thread, please tell us what you are thinking as long as it fits the guidelines of MMOC, ie, no flame starting.
    Also if you agree or disagree with an Idea, do so in a logical and well thought out fashion.
    Ie:
    Peter Jackson is the most mysterious person in Hollywood history. His films from the nineties include some of the worst genre specific horror films ever, which only fans of bad horror films would enjoy.

Horribad horror films
    Dead Alive
    Meet the Feebles
    Bad Taste

-One ok intense Drama
    Heavenly Creatures

-A Mockumentary
    Forgotten Silver

-And one entertaining Horror comedy
    The Frighteners

He is then given an unlimited budget to make three films at once based on possibly the single greatest series of books in the 20th century. Of course he makes the perfect films that we now call The Lord of the Rings, and any critic would agree that this trilogy should be in every intelligent persons home.
    “Considered to be one of the biggest and most ambitious movie projects ever undertaken, with an overall budget of $285 million, the entire project took eight years, with the filming for all three films done simultaneously and entirely in Jackson's native New Zealand.” – Wikipedia when you need fast unreliable facts.
    So just post a random and yet complete and coherent thoughts, if you reply to a thought at least put as much thought in your replies as the person you are replying to, Without going to beliefs, nationalism, gender equality, or sexual orientation.

Good topics for deep thinking.

Meaning of Life, the Universe, casual observations.

One reason to keep this thread, is to fallow the rules of MMOC. Every so often people post a thought or random musing which should only have one or two responses but end up having three or four pages of responses and then the thread is locked. Because people can not keep it sane. This thread should be the solution. You post a random musing which could cause a flame war on its own thread, but here most will just ignore it. unless they have a well though out reply. Keep this in mind when replying.

((crossing fingers this works out. If it does I would recommend a sticky so it can work as fly paper to concepts that need only one or two replies.))

I'm thinking about what you're thinking about what this thinking thread is about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huh? What? Why?
    Currently Procrastinating

Deleted
    Why are we slaves to our emotions?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2281 View Post
    Why are we slaves to our emotions?
    We aren't slaves to emotion we are driven by emotion without emotion we would be cold hearted bastards.
    So i'm thinking why my country is so screwed up and why the hell the population isn't sticking together.
    “The wise speak only of what they know.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    I'm thinking about what you're thinking about what this thinking thread is about.

A list of locked topics, none of these needed to be a topic at all, since they where just a passing thought. or Honest questions.

Is America the only "Western" country that makes good video games, and movies?
    Chick-Fil-A and the Politics of Food
    The second amendment does not give you the right to own a gun.
    Is weapons still not easily obtainable US?
    Would whitesinglesmeet.com be racist?
    Is the US military overrated?
    How do they get Marijuana and other Colombian drugs into Europe and Asia?
    ((list of topics in order and not read to be as scientific as possible.))

Basically you have a thought but it really doesn't need a thread, or the thought which doesn't break the rules, but might if it was in it's own thread might get locked. Post it here. The reason I ask for only well though out replies is so people can post a wall of thought text. with out causing a flame war.

Deleted
    I'm thinking, oh my, I forgot all about Bad Taste and Meet the Feebles. Had no idea they were PJ films, hahahahaha.

How he got LOTR of the back of those I'll never know!!

Mind you, heavenley creatures was good.

'Peter Jackson won the rights to film J. R. R. Tolkien's epic in 1997 after meeting with producer Saul Zaentz. Originally working with Miramax towards a two-film production, Jackson was later pressured to render the story as a single film, and finally overcame a tight deadline by making a last minute deal with New Line, who were keen on a trilogy.' (source is wikipedia, i know i know)

He just 'won' the rights, in a fight? a poker game!? God only knows how but thank god he did : )

EDIT - NEW THOUGHT - MMMM COFFEEEEEEEE!!

Deleted
    Coffee is no different to many other drugs that are currently illegal. Marijuana should be legalized just as caffeine is, or both should be banned.

Man should not be penalized because of his choice of drug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Coffee is no different to many other drugs that are currently illegal. Marijuana should be legalized just as caffeine is, or both should be banned.

Man should not be penalized because of his choice of drug.
    Caffeine isn't really as strong as THC.. Try comparing a cup of coffee and a joint.. which one affects you more? It seems bans are based on degrees of strength of effect, which in general seems to make sense considering what, for example, crack cocaine and heroin can do.

Still, I agree. There are way too many pointless bans on relatively safe substances like THC. Legalisation and regulation might even make it safer (thinking about crazy pesticides and chemicals in hydroponically grown marijuana for example). Alcohol seems to be more damaging to "abuse" and yet, because of historical factors it's legal, not because it's less powerful than THC.
    Last edited by WarpKnight; 2012-07-21 at 11:02 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    Caffeine isn't really as strong as THC.. Try comparing a cup of coffee and a joint.. which one affects you more?
    Drinking too many cups of coffee can actually kill you, smoking too much weed can't.

NEW TOPIC - Dogs are better than cats because they display high levels of loyalty. A dog will be by your side always, whereas a cat is only as loyal as the amount of food you give it. Feline kinds should be subject to the rule of canines until such a time that they learn empathy.

The premise is way too broad. You can't just say "let's start thinking" and expect reasonable discussion.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Drinking too many cups of coffee can actually kill you, smoking too much weed can't.
    Overdosing on caffeine by drinking coffee will take a very, very long time and a hell of a lot of coffee.. and you're probably going to feel extremely sick and not continue.

NEW TOPIC - Dogs are better than cats because they display high levels of loyalty. A dog will be by your side always, whereas a cat is only as loyal as the amount of food you give it. Feline kinds should be subject to the rule of canines until such a time that they learn empathy.
    Solitary cats that never interact with others of their own kind tend to be.. well, assholes, sort of like only children. Raise two or more cats together and you'll see how loving and empathetic cats can be. It seems cats require the social aspect of other cats in order to develop emotionally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    The premise is way too broad. You can't just say "let's start thinking" and expect reasonable discussion.
    Its less about discussion, and more about reason. I have noticed that generally some of the posters here even if they are totally off base, are actually good thinkers, which means sometime you have a good thought and you want to post it, but you are sure if you do the tread will get locked, or a flame war will ensue. So for these cases having a place to put these thoughts were you can just think a thought to its logical end, with out fear of censure, unless it is one of the unholy topics.

---------- Post added 2012-07-21 at 04:41 AM ----------

Scientifically, caffeine and THC are fairly close on toxicity levels. However if you drink too much coffee. you will just be a little hyper, were as too much THC can cause you to do actions which can put your life at risk.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/821863-overview
    500mg caffeine is considered high dose, or 12.5 espresso shots.

Sadly THC has a lot of conflicting studies, most of which are with rats, so no measure of safe but high dose has been officially stated by the FDA.In rats 750mg, 1250mg has a 50% chance of death when eaten, and 250mg has a chance of death when smoked in rats. the typical 'joint' has 10mg THC. also a human is generally 100 to 300 times more massive than a rat. This however does not consider the other toxins found in the smoke, or drug interactions.

With caffeine the 50% death rate for humans sits around 1000mg or 25 espresso shots in less than an hour. I should point out I have done this to my self at the Coffee Bean, 4 24oz all espresso shot ice blended drinks (6 shots each), in less than an hour. And yes I got very sick from it. Can a human consume 7500 joints in an Hour? Yes. since a typical joint is 1.5 grams, 7500 joints weigh 176lbs. if you burn 176lbs of cheap pot and hot box it, you have a risk of death from the toxicity of pot.

However, if you smoke 1 joint and you get one of the stupid side effects which is fairly common, you might do something which will end your life. ie

http://www.theladiesmonthly.com/2011...-vicious-toke/
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_p...from_marijuana

---------- Post added 2012-07-21 at 04:45 AM ----------

Spoken by a person who doesn't have a cat.

My cat is a snuggleholic. She is very affectionate. And shows visible distress if I am not around her.
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2012-07-21 at 11:42 AM.

Deleted
    There is a reason some threads get locked, creating a new thread to continue discussion from locked threads is frowned upon, especially when those threads partly got closed because of the topic at hand.

As other members have said, this thread's purpose is extremely vague and will only serve to confuse other users and will end up in incoherent discussions. If there's a topic you would like to discuss, such as Peter Jackson, you can create a new thread in the appropriate forum, which would be the Cinema / TV Shows / Music / Books - forum in this case.