Character textures issue

Hi all, first (And obviously last) Beta weekend. I'm really enjoying GW2, glad I own it. My question is regarding the textures of armor. All of the colored edges are blurry, and very pixelated. My characters face is high res so that's also odd that its high res and other textures are such low res.

With a system that has a 2700k @4.5g and a DCII 7970 GPU, why am I seeing blurry textures with everything maxed, including the "High Res Character Textures" checked. Yes, after map reloads and game reloads. The armor is still blurry.

It's not game breaking, but I'd hope the game would look like WoW does in terms of textures (even though yes it is still beta, and yes it is still early levels and it might (MAYBE) Just be the armor that Im wearing looks like shit in general.

Aveline's amazing work!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Hi all, first (And obviously last) Beta weekend. I'm really enjoying GW2, glad I own it. My question is regarding the textures of armor. All of the colored edges are blurry, and very pixelated. My characters face is high res so that's also odd that its high res and other textures are such low res.

With a system that has a 2700k @4.5g and a DCII 7970 GPU, why am I seeing blurry textures with everything maxed, including the "High Res Character Textures" checked. Yes, after map reloads and game reloads. The armor is still blurry.

It's not game breaking, but I'd hope the game would look like WoW does in terms of textures (even though yes it is still beta, and yes it is still early levels and it might (MAYBE) Just be the armor that Im wearing looks like shit in general.
    I don't have a source and I'm just taking a guess but in some betas they don't enable the high res textures to limit the download size for the beta testers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try running with FXAA off to see if it's the culprit.
    Also, I don't know if we ever got confirmation that high-res character textures are even implemented.

High(er?) resolution textures appear to be implemented, or at least they look decent. They do however take a long while to load for some reason. The game loads and uses low quality textures, then it starts to (very slowly) stream high(er) quality textures and that takes a while. I'm talking tens of seconds to in some cases minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    I'm talking tens of seconds to in some cases minutes.
    How fast the game can load textures is dependant on your hard drive, not on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    How fast the game can load textures is dependant on your hard drive, not on the game.
    False. Streaming texture loading is from system RAM to VRAM. Not from hard drive to VRAM. Bottleneck is usually in GFX card memory bus or system RAM bus.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    False. Streaming texture loading is from system RAM to VRAM. Not from hard drive to VRAM. Bottleneck is usually in GFX card memory bus or system RAM bus.
    Games may, and indeed frequently do, also stream textures from HDD to RAM as appropriate - and then to VRAM.

Make sure you don't have subsampling enabled.

There is a graphical setting that gives blurriness to your screen. Turn it off it's the setting below FXAA

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post

I think that the game now only runs DX 9. On the full release there will be higer DX ( i saw in the options DX11 )

So don't judge the game graphics in the BETA ( not only this game, but any other game, remember BF3 Beta, there was only high settings, no Very High and ULTRA settings )

And High Res. Texture in not in the Beta. It will be on the full release.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciank255 View Post
    I think that the game now only runs DX 9. On the full release there will be higer DX ( i saw in the options DX11 )

So don't judge the game graphics in the BETA ( not only this game, but any other game, remember BF3 Beta, there was only high settings, no Very High and ULTRA settings )

And High Res. Texture in not in the Beta. It will be on the full release.
    Citation needed, please. Perhaps I'm blind, but I have not run across any ANet-based quote that states anything about hi-res not implemented till release.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Games may, and indeed frequently do, also stream textures from HDD to RAM as appropriate - and then to VRAM.
    This is done for textures in the places where you do not see and will not see soon. Else you'd be waiting seconds to tens of second for any texture to appear and that is completely unacceptable for graphics hardware where you count things in milliseconds and throughput in gigabytes per second.

HDD to system RAM texture movement is what you do for stuff that you expect to be viewed in near future, but not just yet. Anything you are actually about to display needs to be in system RAM or VRAM.