Poll: More security needed?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is more TSA-style security needed?

In light of the recent 'Batman' shooting, do you believe that malls and cinemas in America should receive TSA-style security measures?

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    In light of the recent 'Batman' shooting, do you believe that malls and cinemas in America should receive TSA-style security measures?
    No. I think the TSA needs less TSA-style security measures.

Also, I'm not sure what this has to do with WoW, or why it's in the WoW forum.

I'm an idiot. Already reported for moving.

The costs would outweigh the benefits by a huge amount. So no, not ever.

Deleted
    uhhh, what's TSA ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved

OT: Absolutely not. In fact, I'd prefer we removed the TSA all together. If someone hijacks an airplane, I damn well would want other people on that flight to be armed and save the day.

Still, if they did something that stupid at a theatre, I would stop going. I've never been a big movie theatre guy in the first place, but damned if I'm going to submit to screening and be treated like a criminal just to watch a movie. It goes downhill to the same worries I already have about our country and government. Too much governing.

hell no. we dont need TSA as it is imo. isreal fixed their hijacking problems long ago - by completely separating access to the cockpit from the passenger area. for some reason we just didnt feel like doing that

quick anecdote here - my mom travels a lot. she had an issue with a TSA agent and wanted to file a complaint. the airport people were not allowed to take a TSA complaint, and told her it could only be done through TSA website. she went to the site, and surprise surprise, no way to file a complaint or leave any feedback whatsoever. so apparently TSA cannot be held accountable for their actions in any way, shape, or form, and they are very much aware of it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Couple things...the guy went in the emergency exit. Are we going to post armed guards on every door in every theater in the country? Never gonna happen.

Also, see places like Israel where people have to get wand scanned to go in a coffee shop, and trash cans are far from buildings for fear of bombs. I don't think that's how people want to live. If anything events like what happened make a stronger case for concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    hell no. we dont need TSA as it is imo. isreal fixed their hijacking problems long ago - by completely separating access to the cockpit from the passenger area. for some reason we just didnt feel like doing that
    I actually had the chance to experience how that mechanism works, and it really is quite a simple and elegant solution. Yes, all the plane's passengers might die, but at least the plane won't go crashing into public areas, thus killing more people.

---------- Post added 2012-07-21 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Also, see places like Israel where people have to get wand scanned to go in a coffee shop, and trash cans are far from buildings for fear of bombs. I don't think that's how people want to live. If anything events like what happened make a stronger case for concealed carry.
    Thankfully, it hasn't been like that for quite a few years now.

I honestly don't think concealed carry would fix much either.
    I mean let's just say that the shooting is done with a concealable firearm (I believe it was primarily done by rifle in this case, but I'm weaving a hypothetic here)

-Shooter pulls out hand gun, and starts on rampage.

-Heroic guy pulls out his own gun, and starts returning fire (hand guns aren't the most accurate weapon in the world, and the shooter is probably moving around a lot now so chances are it will be a somewhat drawn out ordeal)

-Somebody hears the shootout (but doesn't see it initialize) and joins in the heroics. So he shoots the guy with the red name tag, because that's the bad guy. Oh...wait.. there are no red name tags in real life.

Deleted
    What is TSA-style security?

Couple things...the guy went in the emergency exit. Are we going to post armed guards on every door in every theater in the country? Never gonna happen.
    But it would increase jobs for the unemployed.

If anything events like what happened make a stronger case for concealed carry.
    So, let me get this straight.
    Some psychopath buys a bunch of guns legally and kills 12 people, and your solution is "get more guns". Lol... Just... lol.
    How many more people need to die before you understand that you have a problem with gun control ?

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    TSA is a subdivision of Homeland Security in the United States.

You need money in order to generate jobs. And I don't think the money's there. Besides, it would cause too much of a public shitstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    a goon squad that strip searches babies and 90 year old women, uses a "lack of available female agents immediately available" to "frisk" (read: grope) attractive women, and has little to no oversight or accountability

10+ Year Old Account
    heh , only TSA i've ever heard about is a Polish rock band xD

No. For those who don't know...TSA security is a complete joke. My mom and dad are truck drivers. They deliver to a lot of airports (airplane parts and the like) and in order to go inside they had to be TSA certified. In order to get TSA certified all you do is answer a few general knowledge questions...(my mom told me a 10 year old could easily get certified). TSA is a false sense of security the does not exist. It's funny how all those body scanners can't even detect more than what a basic metal scanner detects...and yet we insist on using them. A better solution than this TSA patdown? Go to russia and look at their airport security dogs. Best in the world, know how to smell out a very tiny particle of a bomb material (which has no scents to humans) from inside of a backpack. If you want to up security, give it to the creature that KNOWS security. Breed dogs with good sense of smell...Let these animals do the work because quite frankly, I trust a dog sniffing my crotch more than I trust some random guy who passed a basic knowledge test putting his hands down my pants.

If we give into fear, then we will be defeated. Because fact of the matter is, TSA pat downs and going through body scanners aren't going to protect us from something we can't smell that these guys can make look like a basic item we carry in a purse or wallet. When people are afraid to go out into the streets then the bad guys have won. We need to stand up and not be afraid. Bad things can happen anywhere. If someone breaks into my home I highly doubt I am going to go running to TSA for them to send someone to do pat downs for me at my front door to ensure my safety.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    So, let me get this straight.
    Some psychopath buys a bunch of guns legally and kills 12 people, and your solution is "get more guns". Lol... Just... lol.
    How many more people need to die before you understand that you have a problem with gun control ?
    I reckon it will be when everyone has guns and its even worse than now. Either that or giving people the right to weapons of mass destruction instead

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    And who is going to pay for these jobs?

---------- Post added 2012-07-21 at 05:13 PM ----------

TSA is a subdivision of Homeland Security in the United States.
    You didn't answer his question. TSA uses metal detectors, x-ray machines, and etc to see if you are carrying any concealed weapons. They also do pat downs "randomly" and are generally very intrusive.