Deleted

Software Development in London UK

Hello my good friends,

As always I apologies if this is the wrong section/message board, so please do forgive my ignorance.

I'm Josh, a 16 year old aspiring software developer. I've just been accepted onto an apprenticeship with QA where I will learn how to program in C#, .Net and Java. QA encourage us to find our own employer, however I'm having a hard time getting an email back. I was wondering if anyone works in the industry and their company may be willing to take on an apprentice or even give me some tips to getting a reply to my emails.

I'm also looking for some good books/websites for learning C# and .Net so I can get a bit of a headstart in studying.

Thanks for reading,

~J.H

Sorry , did you mean you have already been accept and now they are not emailing you back? Well thats a bit strange and i cant comment much, maybe a phone call might help with that. For learning C# and the .net frame work i would suggest first of all downloading visual studio 2010 free version, it is a very nice development platform. For learning C# (just learn C# java is so similar there no point learning both, in all honesty and to be a good programmer you cant just learn off alot of keywords).

In terms of books we were suggested in college to get a book call C# The yellow book which you can find here http://www.csharpcourse.com/ . Good luck with the apprenticeship and if you dont end up getting into it, id suggest going for a programming degree, if you have that you`ll get a job in damn near any city you want.

Deleted
    I'm on the program, I just need to wait for an employer, QA do find me one, but it's quicker and better if you find your own.

O kk, well I cant help with finding the job, but id heavily suggest VS 2010 and that book to get started. You should go through the book fairly fast, and after that try to make up projects using the skills you learnt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazamaras View Post
    Hello my good friends,

As always I apologies if this is the wrong section/message board, so please do forgive my ignorance.

I'm Josh, a 16 year old aspiring software developer. I've just been accepted onto an apprenticeship with QA where I will learn how to program in C#, .Net and Java. QA encourage us to find our own employer, however I'm having a hard time getting an email back. I was wondering if anyone works in the industry and their company may be willing to take on an apprentice or even give me some tips to getting a reply to my emails.

I'm also looking for some good books/websites for learning C# and .Net so I can get a bit of a headstart in studying.

Thanks for reading,

~J.H
    Not specific to your industry, but a lot of emails come in regarding job applications where they are obviously just a cover letter template that somebody has bcc'd every company that they are appying to (in some cases even cc'd them). Companies like to think that you are interested in working for them, not just after a job with the first company that will take you.

Create a cover letter template that you can personalise for each company you apply to, find out the name of the person who deals with recruitment in that firm (either from their website, or even better by ringing up - sometimes you can even get to have a chat with them, which is great as they may not be looking but may know somebody who is).

Despite the advances in modern technology, the best way of finding a job is still networking (i.e. talking to people).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not specific to your industry, but a lot of emails come in regarding job applications where they are obviously just a cover letter template that somebody has bcc'd every company that they are appying to (in some cases even cc'd them). Companies like to think that you are interested in working for them, not just after a job with the first company that will take you.

Create a cover letter template that you can personalise for each company you apply to, find out the name of the person who deals with recruitment in that firm (either from their website, or even better by ringing up - sometimes you can even get to have a chat with them, which is great as they may not be looking but may know somebody who is).

Despite the advances in modern technology, the best way of finding a job is still networking (i.e. talking to people).
    Best advice ever! Write a cover letter and a CV specially tailored to the employer your sending it to and personalized so it fits the company vision and ethics (and no lies).

Deleted
    Yeah I have been researching each company and saying what I like about their work ethic etc. in the cover letter and I try to make my intentions as clear as possible. Networking is kinda hard for me at the moment because I have no avenue of actually putting myself out there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazamaras View Post
    Yeah I have been researching each company and saying what I like about their work ethic etc. in the cover letter and I try to make my intentions as clear as possible. Networking is kinda hard for me at the moment because I have no avenue of actually putting myself out there
    It sounds like you are going about things the right way. Keep at it and don't take rejections personally or let them dishearten you.

Good luck with your search.