Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is my HD 5770 Dying?

Hello again computer forum,

I captured this short video to try and show you guys the issue I'm having occasionally while gaming.
    This only happens AFAIK while I'm gaming.

PC Specs:

i5-750 @ 2.67ghz
    4gb DDR3 1600 mhz g.skill ram
    Asus p55d-e mobo
    corsair tx650w psu
    XFX HD Radeon 5770

I've recently done a full system cleanup (3-4 days ago) which consisted of fully and safely cleaning my case of dust, including the heatsinks on my cpu and gpu, as well as re-applying some thermal paste. Fresh formatted both of my HDDs and reinstalled Windows.

All of my drivers for my motherboard, sound, gpu are up to date, as well as all Windows 7 updates for home premium x64

I'd just like to get some reassurance that it is my GPU that is faulty here.

Update:

It doesn't only happen while gaming; check it out:

Last edited by Vinho; 2012-07-22 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Update
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

Yep, looks like a graphics card that is on the way out :/

Did you apply new thermal paste to the video card?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    how old is your 5770 ? XFX are usually pretty good (in my experience) in resolving issues like this if it stilol RMA' able. Never know might even get an upgrade from them

Have you checked the temps on your 5770? You can also manually set the fan to 100% using the Catalyst control center and see if it fixes the issue. And if its from xfx and you registered you have lifetime warranty so they should be able to send one back or an upgrade if they dont have any 5770 left.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Did you apply new thermal paste to the video card?
    Seriously?

which consisted of fully and safely cleaning my case of dust, including the heatsinks on my cpu and gpu, as well as re-applying some thermal paste

Your desktop looks fine? if you alt+tab outside the game problem persist? did you try running fullscreen? which port are you using (HDMI - DVI)? just in case try using a different port or a different cable. I know those are a lot of questions but you want to be sure.

Try the other DVI port on the card.

try turning off overdrive and see what happens

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried the other DVI port, problem persisted.
    Temps are great, under load my catalyst CC showed my gpu temp to be hovering at 54 degrees,

Card is ~2 years old,
    For roughly half of its life I've run dual monitors, but have been using only one for the past few months.
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have that same card and it's been acting up lately as well. For some reason doing system restores kept it from shutting off randomly (As well as making it's fan work again) but I don't think that's a good perminant fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bormes View Post
    Seriously?
    Yeah, seriously. Usually when people say that they're only implying they did with the CPU. If they attempted the video card, that could explain some things such as the VRAM not being properly pasted, etc.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I pasted the gpu as well have no fear!

10+ Year Old Account
    It might be the video card, as others have stated, however I have seen an IDENTICAL problem with one of my LCD screens that I now use as a test bed monitor, since it's no longer 'usable' due to this issue. The main problem I have is if light colored stuff (a white window, light colored websites, notepad, something bright) covers about 3/4 of the left inch of the screen, it FLIPS OUT like that. I think its a power issue.

Try testing with other games, and moving windows about to see if it reacts like mine does, just to make sure. Also, if you have another monitor hanging around, test it to make sure the problem happens on that one too, to confirm.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have the same card and sometimes its just go black screen and then fans begin to speed up like hell i have to reboot system to fix that any clues ?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Try testing with other games, and moving windows about to see if it reacts like mine does, just to make sure. Also, if you have another monitor hanging around, test it to make sure the problem happens on that one too, to confirm.
    This sounds like the best next step. If all else fails, XFX has a lifetime warranty for a reason!

10+ Year Old Account
    Little update for you guys; this is something I've never seen before, and I thought I'd share it with you to see if it shines any light on the situation:

next: Testing out another monitor + other games

Try with another cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinho View Post
    Yes I pasted the gpu as well have no fear!
    Did you apply paste to the VRM modules or just the core? If you didn't put it on the VRAM that could be causing this. The GPU temps you see in monitoring programs don't report the memory temps either.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-07-22 at 06:42 AM.

build pics