Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Gear is the carrot for the treadmill. You want to be pretty? Have shiny gears? Have BETTER gear than everyone else? You better chase that carrot!

Remove the carrot, the treadmill stops. Treadmill stops, subscriptions hemorrhage. Subs start bleeding out... game goes... oh wait GW2 is already F2P. Subs start bleeding out, people go back to Warcraft and realize (once again) how good things are and how the grass *ISN'T* greener on the other side.

Thus the downfall of another contender
    well its a good thing that world of warcraft is making another expansion this year,to keep the turds out of the gw2 community like yourself
    Last edited by CrunkJuice5; 2012-07-22 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    I wonder why some people have thousands of hours played of Counter-Strike. It cant be because they find it fun right? It has to be because they get better gear.... ooh wait.
    Or thousands in Battlefield or Call of Duty.

Honestly, I can understand that you want a carrot to chase on a treadmill. I've had some fun myself chasing carrots, but in the end I think there's going to have to be some acceptance that not every mmo is the same and you aren't necessarily going to like all of them. Personally, I, and many others, love the lack of gear treadmill. Guild Wars 1 saw success without it as well. I enjoy not having to worry about having to devote time to gearing out a character beyond the initial investment to compete in PvP. I find the gameplay fairly enjoyable, and I'm rather excited that there's finally an mmo where I can find the gameplay enjoyable, but don't have to constantly play keep up or find myself no longer competitive in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    Or thousands in Battlefield or Call of Duty.
    (Psst, not the best examples. Both have progression systems.)

I'll take fun pvp without grind and no rewards over boring grind that gives rewards to grind even more, any day.

This topic is like:

Some people love FPS games, some people hate them - Solution for the haters, dont buy the game.
    Some poeple love MOBA games, some people hate them - Solution for the haters, dont get the game.
    Some poeple love PvP in MMORPG's, some people hate them - Solution for the haters, throw in a gear carrot? The game is still B2P so just dont get it if your plan was to PvP and you know that you wont enjoy it for more than a couple of hours.

Just dont PvP if you dont like it. Since there are no gear upgrade you shouldnt feel forced to PvP. The people that actually like to PvP on even grounds love the PvP in this game and how ArenaNet is designing PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    you would be suprised at the amount of people who do things not for fun.but to get gear

thankfully they will avoid guild wars 2 so i dont have to hear there constant jabbering on about "that sweet piece of loot"like i had to tolerate for years in wow
    No, instead you'll have to listen to the constant jabbering of "That sweet skin on that piece of loot!"

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    (Psst, not the best examples. Both have progression systems.)

Actually they're more fitting examples than Counter-Strike. Both of their "progression systems" are rather short. GW2 isn't completely lacking a progression system, there are still levels and gear to progress through initially, the complaint is that it plateaus, just as both Battlefield and Call of Duty do.

Gain ranks and new cosmetic gear.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    Well all I can say then is people will get bored of pure PvP in this game. FAST.
    You can say "there is no way you can know that" but I do... I do...
    You don't, you don't.....

Back in MY day... I played games like Unreal Tournament and Quake 2/3 online, simply because it was FUN. The games didn't give me rewards or level me up, they were just fun to play.

People seem to play games for hours on end, simply for the 'carrot' at the end, and they don't even realize that the journey to that carrot isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenofreak View Post
    Actually they're more fitting examples than Counter-Strike. Both of their "progression systems" are rather short. GW2 isn't completely lacking a progression system, there are still levels and gear to progress through initially, the complaint is that it plateaus, just as both Battlefield and Call of Duty do.
    Except that this conversation is about PvP, and there is no progression in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Reakash View Post
    No, instead you'll have to listen to the constant jabbering of "That sweet skin on that piece of loot!"
    well eather way,having to tolerate the immature kiddies from world of warcraft in both star wars the old republic and wow,i sadly wont be wasting my time with guild wars 2 if i see a bunch of wow players in it

id rather flush 50 bucks down my toilet then pay 50 bucks for another game that has a bunch of immature kids from wow playing it

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    well eather way,having to tolerate the immature kiddies from world of warcraft in both star wars the old republic and wow,i sadly wont be wasting my time with guild wars 2 if i see a bunch of wow players in it

id rather flush 50 bucks down my toilet then pay 50 bucks for another game that has a bunch of immature kids from wow playing it
    Yes, because you're totally winning the maturity war in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    So from level 2 you can do PvP and get all gear and spells instantly.
    No matter how much you PvP you will only have like 7 abilitys and same gear as everyone else.

Can someone tell me a reason to play for 20 days /played, 100% PvP, in this game except "to get better and have fun"?
    No matter how much you PvP you will only have 4 abilities and the same item build as everyone else... yet LoL and DotA keep working! THE METAGAME NO WAI!

Yup, games can get up to that point, welcome to e-sports.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    No matter how much you PvP you will only have 4 abilities and the same item build as everyone else... yet LoL and DotA keep working! THE METAGAME NO WAI!

So let me get this straight, everyone has all the 6 best items for their hero and start at level 25 every game? Because that would be the equivalent to GW2 PvP.

And that would not be fun/good at all, but maybe with a GW2 mentality it would. All that would happen is that everyone goes together from minute 0, and the ones winning team fights wins the game. It would clearly be super balanced, because now it is so unfair that heroes like Anti Mage gets so good with gear, so unfair. No stupid level farming or gold farming, great!

Thanks for proving my point.
    Last edited by MiiiMiii; 2012-07-22 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post

This aswell. Dota 2 have the EXACT same progression system as GW2. Useless levels and cosmetic gear upgrades. Yet there are 50k+ people online at all times during beta.

---------- Post added 2012-07-22 at 06:30 AM ----------

So let me get this straight, everyone has all the 6 best items for their hero and start at level 25 every game?
    Haha thats not even close to a decent comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really think GW2 is aimed at the same players that play WoW. If it is, then something is amiss.

Myself, I will buy it and give it a go, just to check it out and possibly play with friends. I don't think I'll be getting into it heavily though, it doesn't seem deep enough to have amazing holding power. But then again, the F2P model makes that point irrelevant to me as a customer.

10+ Year Old Account
    So let me get this straight, everyone has all the 6 best items for their hero and start at level 25 every game? Because that would be the equivalent to GW2 PvP.

And that would not be fun/good at all, but maybe with a GW2 mentality it would. All that would happen is that everyone goes together from minute 0, and the ones winning team fights wins the game. It would clearly be super balanced, because now it is so unfair that heroes like Anti Mage gets so good with gear, so unfair. No stupid level farming or gold farming, great!

Thanks for proving my point.
    You're talking about DotA now... you're talking about balance in a DotA game, that game is balanced around OP champs with OP abilities, every hero has their own bastion, you can go the same road with LoL, no champ is 00b3r l33t yet both games have got some meta gaming into it, and LoL... well it's the most played game in the world OHSHIET BALANCE OUT OF MAH WINDAWHZ

I bet you're a progaming star when it comes to dota when you mention magina just like a pro would say eve/shaco are hardcore pwnage at LoL, only on pubs without skill, same could happen here where a specific build can be devastating for new players and when it gets solved by the pro's it falls, happens to SC2/LoL/DotA/HoN/WoW, can happen here.

Ever seen the sPvP? it does enforce the MOBA gaming method of the monster buffs, for me it sounds quite interesting to mix MOBA+RPG, kind of what smite is doing right now but with tighter/different gameplay.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2012-07-22 at 04:50 AM.

Deleted
    So from level 2 you can do PvP and get all gear and spells instantly.
    No matter how much you PvP you will only have like 7 abilitys and same gear as everyone else.

Can someone tell me a reason to play for 20 days /played, 100% PvP, in this game except "to get better and have fun"?
    If you want a gear grind for pvp I recommend Rift, you grind many, many days and get your butt kicked daily while doing it reminding you how much your gear suck by others with better gear (a couple of hours spent being graveyard camped if you enjoy that). That's why it's refreshing to have a game where you are able to compete just as soon as you l2play. And there will be cosmetic updates to get so you get braggin rights in looks and in tournaments for skill. Like people continue to play arena for competition even when they got all the gear.
    Anyway, I feel this game is the perfect game for pvp and I will certainly play it for more than 20 hours. But then I play casually and usually just a few hours in the weekends. In the weekends I can pwn people on my asura in hotjoin battlegrounds or wvwvw or play tournaments with friends. Plenty to do with the gametime I have, I will get my moneys worth of the game several times =) However, if you feel you will only get 20h out of it and believe it's not worth money for the box then dont buy. Rift is quite cheap to buy and even with subfee you surely get tons of hours of gametime out of it just by grinding and grinding.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    At a high-level I get what you mean on the farming, but the sad truth is wow doesn't really have any purpose to farming anymore. Back in vanilla and BC there was a reason to farm because you could get some bis gear with a lot of hard work farming. In those days it was a big deal to see people in all purple gear. But farming now is so ridiculously easy that everyone farms and everyone has the same gear. It's worse even than that, because everyone has the same gear on like 5-6+ toons. Look around, everyone pvp'ing has 4.5k+ res...everyone has at least 390+ pve gear from DS. Farming in wow 4.0+ doesn't really make you have better gear than other players. It was true when farming was hard because it was difficult enough that not everyone did it. But when you can cap weekly cp or vp in like 2 hours, instead of farming to have better gear it has become just being busy work to keep par with everyone else.

It's kind of like going to a car race, taking a corvette thinking "I'm gonna kick everyone's ***"...and you get there and everyone at the race has a corvette too. GW2 just skips the mindless work and the false challenge/reward of earning the corvette and gives everyone the same car to start.