Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Most of the people replying here could be considered nerds, myself included. Meaning we as computer-literate people will have a different expectation from the general user. I won't pass judgement on W8 here, because whether it's a good or bad thing for the general public will remain to be seen.

As is the case with every other OS I've had since I've started using a PC, I will wait a year, two, or as many as it takes for all kinks, all driver problems, most security problems, and most quality-of-life problems to get resolved, as well as every single vestige of "Tablet" removed from the OS through whatever means the smart people working on such things deem appropriate.

From a true user standpoint, getting an OS at launch is one of the most idiotic things to do, yet it's necessary for the product to succeed.

I'm quite sure that Win8 will sell fantastically though, as it's clearly intended for the mentally slow and, generally, easily impressionable crowd of consumers. Not to mention the people that consider their shiny toys to be "Personal Computers".

Offtopic: the overall reaction of the mods to this particular topic/issue has been... enlightening. It explains a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellesarr View Post
    Nothing I have seen about 8 makes me want to replace 7. so thats what Il keep using.
    Bam. This this this.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    Going to avoid this since metro is hellish. Yeah you can get a third party app to get a start menu back but it's still not worth it as there isn't a single new feature that interests me. They'll find a way to force everybody to upgrade in a couple of years though, like directx 12 or something.

If you're posting on an internet forum, windows 8 isn't designed for you.

Deleted
    Been hearing good things on the performance side of W8, so my wife will be the guinea pig and install it to her laptop.
    If it really is so much better than some people report, ill try to get my head around using that metro shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarama View Post
    hi!
    if you dislike metro, dont use it just like windows 7 aero... just switch it off! everything else will be just fine. you still have your standart desktop! and so far i think windows 7 was awesome - you can still keep it, it will be good for ages.
    i dont understand why anybody would switch to a mac for that reason - that's even more shiny-clicky-things i dont like. for a gamer, a mac isnt really good either...
    better stay with windows 7 or dont use metro like my friend, who doesnt like the windows 7 aero... so he switched it off to look like the good old windows or just click the desktop thing....

well... my thoughts on this

I havent found the way to switch Metro off and get the start menu in the desktop WITHOUT third parties fixes that Windows keep breaking with their upgrades.

Can you please elaborate on how to switch Metro off and get the desktop with the start menu?

I wont buy Windows 8 without the possibility to get desktop mode with the start menu. I wont be using W8 on a tablet or phone, so why would i want that crappy UI?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Algearond View Post
    Their is a trend with MS. 2000=Great, ME= Garbage, XP=Great, Vista=Garbage, 7=Great, Metro=Garbage. As others have said, wait for 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 8 Metro. Microsoft likes to make mistakes every now and then.
    This is my new least favorite meme, especially because it isn't remotely accurate when you consider Service Packs (base XP was shit and had so many security issues).

Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    Going to avoid this since metro is hellish. Yeah you can get a third party app to get a start menu back but it's still not worth it as there isn't a single new feature that interests me. They'll find a way to force everybody to upgrade in a couple of years though, like directx 12 or something.
    The performance increase is significant enough that I'll get it within 6-8 months for that alone. The secure boot will help substantially with rootkits and other early-loaded programs. There are like 100 other smaller features that aren't even commonly mentioned - for example, there is a graph showing file transfer rate over time on the file-copy dialog, and if you are doing multiple file copies, it combines them all into one dialog box that actually finally has a place on the taskbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    I havent found the way to switch Metro off and get the start menu in the desktop WITHOUT third parties fixes that Windows keep breaking with their upgrades.

Can you please elaborate on how to switch Metro off and get the desktop with the start menu?

I wont buy Windows 8 without the possibility to get desktop mode with the start menu. I wont be using W8 on a tablet or phone, so why would i want that crappy UI?
    How often do you use the Start Menu?

I use it like maybe once a month or so. I have the icons for my 30 most used programs on the left side of my desktop, and the 10 most used files on the right side. I'm pretty sure I can live with it.

I wouldn't expect a Microsoft 'fix' for it. I WOULD expect a professional-level third party fix after the release. They've made cracks for Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc that never need to be updated. I'm sure they can do similar with a Metro fix.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-07-24 at 11:21 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    How often do you use the Start Menu?

I use it like maybe once a month or so. I have the icons for my 30 most used programs on the left side of my desktop, and the 10 most used files on the right side. I'm pretty sure I can live with it.

I wouldn't expect a Microsoft 'fix' for it. I WOULD expect a professional-level third party fix after the release. They've made cracks for Windows XP, Vista, 7, etc that never need to be updated. I'm sure they can do similar with a Metro fix.
    Every single day several times a day.

I actually hate overpopulated desktops and i prefer using start menu and typing in the search function the thing i want in case its an app or navigate through it if its a configuration setting.

I have yet to spend a day where i havent clicked in my start menu at least 10 times.

And it should be microsoft the one that fix it, because cracks and such are often on insecure web pages that i dont visit.

If they dont, well, i wont be a W8 user, its not like they are gonna be poor for that.

They are idiots for removing functionality from a software with a new version of it, but they will continue to be rich idiots.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2012-07-24 at 11:55 AM.

In that case, you might rather want to start using your computer more efficiently. It takes less time to press WIN+F than to either press WIN and release or use your mouse, which is the most inefficient way of using a computer.

No. They are not idiots. Anything you could access from the start menu is still there. I only use it whenever I want to alt-tab out of a game quickly to access the task bar. For example when I want to launch a new application (and to lazy to use WIN+# or its number exceeds 10) or see if I received any instant messages or emails.
    Microsoft are moving away from a dated technique to new ones; The use of which are volountary.

I think a lot of people are judging something they haven't tested, intentionally misunderstood or simply underestimate. The release preview is free. Try it out.

To see general snappiness and speed increased by 10-20% at least in applications and desktop is reasonable considering some of the underthehood overhauls they've done.

Deleted
    I don't get it. Why are most ppl just hating on new stuff for no reason?

I'm using W8 since Dev preview, I switched back at some point because a game did not work.
    When i was on 7 again, I went back to W8 after some days.

-Instant boot with an ssd
    -better performance in general
    -cleaner UI in desktop mode ( just look how explorer and task manager have improved )
    !!! - Proper scaling for high resolution screens ( I use 2560x1440 and 1920x1200 monitors )
    !!! - Taskbar on both monitors

It is a blessing to work with W8 and people complain about the START MENU?

seriously, its the same thing just maximized. you press windows and type what you search for, that's it. nothing has changed! ( except thata your search results are more structured now but most times u just press enter )

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm planning on picking up a copy with the whole $40 deal for the upgrade. That being said I'm not a large fan of Metro but I'm sure within a few weeks alternative shells will be available. Also, I fully expect Stardock to release a WindowsBlinds-type program to bring back the classic desktop without Metro being in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    In that case, you might rather want to start using your computer more efficiently. It takes less time to press WIN+F than to either press WIN and release or use your mouse, which is the most inefficient way of using a computer.

No. They are not idiots. Anything you could access from the start menu is still there. I only use it whenever I want to alt-tab out of a game quickly to access the task bar. For example when I want to launch a new application (and to lazy to use WIN+# or its number exceeds 10) or see if I received any instant messages or emails.
    Microsoft are moving away from a dated technique to new ones; The use of which are volountary.

I think a lot of people are judging something they haven't tested, intentionally misunderstood or simply underestimate. The release preview is free. Try it out.

To see general snappiness and speed increased by 10-20% at least in applications and desktop is reasonable considering some of the underthehood overhauls they've done.
    I'm sorry, i prefer to spend 2 more seconds launching an app than having my desktop full of crap. WIN + F is another alternative i use when i dont have my second hand with something (i'm from south america, and i drink an infusio called mate a lot).

Not everythuing from the start menu is there, although you can probably put everything there by filling your screen with big icons (which i have been avoiding since win 3.1).

I am tired of people thinking they can force others to use their user style.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    I am tired of people thinking they can force others to use their user style.
    However, I think Windows 8 is no ones style, since we're all forced to use 7 at best right now, right?
    What I mean is, either you adapt and learn to like it, or you adapt and compensate. If you use it at all, that is.

However, if you want something that is more suited to be customisable, have you tried a UNIX-based OS? Or do you just want to use what you're accustomed to? (I don't mean this to criticise, just to know)

While it may not be an OS I am bothered about getting personally, I do feel it will appeal to a range of people out there. For me it will be my XP until w9 or even 10 comes out
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

I prefer the traditional desktop with Icons for all my most used applications. I do not like going through the Start menu or even worse, the search bar, to find things unless they are things I only use occasionally. My Win 7 desktop currently has 34 icons on it. I much prefer the colorful and more descriptive icons to the flat bland overly large tiles of Metro and I also like being able to change my desktop background. Heck, even the new logo for Windows in Win 8 is ugly.

I have no tablets or mobile devices. I don't even own a cell phone so I have absolutely no need for a touch interface.

Long live Windows 7.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2012-07-24 at 12:49 PM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Deleted
    by pressing the windows key u can have ur normal desktop the star menu is different, i tested it, sadly some games that i play are having troubles with it, not wow tho. i like it, i noticed a better performance and makes it easier to acces shit i use. i do like it, but it works better when u got a touch device, bassicly thats why they made it. and btw the Metro Start Screen is here to stay with no option to turn it off. anyway its a decent windows with some new features, ui changes, and better optimized(performance wise).

15+ Year Old Account
    Think I prefer ClassicShell to Start8, and it's real easy to add a Windows 7 skin using ClassicShell

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    However, I think Windows 8 is no ones style, since we're all forced to use 7 at best right now, right?
    What I mean is, either you adapt and learn to like it, or you adapt and compensate. If you use it at all, that is.

However, if you want something that is more suited to be customisable, have you tried a UNIX-based OS? Or do you just want to use what you're accustomed to? (I don't mean this to criticise, just to know)
    in W7 you can use the start button or not.

You can configure your desktop in W7 to have shortucuts with big icons like Metro UI that take you to the same places the metro UI takes it. So in W7 you can use both user styles, in W8 you cant have a clean nice desktop and use your start button to access everything, like some of us like.

You can even hide the task bar, so if you set your background like the W8 one, and you set the big uggly buttons Metro UI has, you can make the exact same UI in W7.

I have a Linux bade OS in another partition, but i end up using Windows because its a better gaming platform and when i'm not in a game i'm too lazy to change the OS.

I use linux when i log into something that is not gaming from the start.

The point is, Microsoft is trying to force Metro UI on us, while the ones criticizing it just want an option to use it that doesnt involve downloading a third party app to fix their OS.

I dont care W8 having Metro, i want W8 having an option to NOT use it.
    Last edited by Crashdummy; 2012-07-24 at 03:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If only I could get the fucking Release Preview installed on my laptop, it installed fine in VMWare, 3 attempts and the installation has failed 3 times at 3 different points during the installation. First attempt was from a DVD, last 2 attempts from a USB Flash drive. I thought the DVD might have been corrupt or something so decided to use USB... seems the DVD wasn't the problem. Starting to annoy me now :P Redownloading the ISO, remaking the USB Flash drive and going for a 4th attempt -_-

edit: So glad that if the upgrade installation fails, it restores your previous OS to exactly how it was before you started installing Windows 8. I don't dare do a clean install -_-
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-07-24 at 03:42 PM.