Page 1 of 50
... LastLast

Windows 8 a flop?

So whats everyone's opinion of Windows 8? Specifically the Metro UI on a desktop/laptop computer.

I understand tablets and other mobile technology is the future of computers, be it iOS, Android, or Windows Mobile. However when I come home and log in to my desktop or gaming laptop I do now want a tablet OS. I tried the Win 8 Developer preview and after a few hours reverted the computer back to Vista. A week ago I installed the Consumer Preview on my desktop thinking maybe Metro was something that could "grow on you", I was dead wrong I am currently re-installing Windows 7!

Having been a Windows user my entire life I cant believe I am saying this but I think its time to jump ship to a Mac!

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like ass to me
    Not even going to bother getting it

I hope that metro crap becomes a big flop for them. I'll stick with 7 and see what 9 has to offer.

Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 8 Metro. Microsoft likes to make mistakes every now and then.

I don't care for the Metro interface at all, but then I rarely like the interface changes. If I had my choice I'd probably be running something that looks 99% like the windows 2000 interface. I don't know who Microsoft gets to do their UI testing, but they seem to pick the worst people. It seems every new releases punishes people who have mastered the previous versions. Let's change and move everything around and make it take 4 more clicks to do something as simple has change the time, because that's a better user interface experience !?!.

Unless there is a must have, I'll probably skip Windows 8, like I skipped Vista. Windows 9 here I come!.

Nothing I have seen about 8 makes me want to replace 7. so thats what Il keep using.
    N

Quote Originally Posted by Ellesarr View Post
    Nothing I have seen about 8 makes me want to replace 7. so thats what Il keep using.
    Same, its just not that innovative really IMHO. Windows 7 was badass when it came out, Win8 is like Win7 with a few enhancements and features that are useless to me as a gamer.

For those of you complaining about Windows 8: It's not designed for you.

Your games aren't being designed for Windows 8, so what's the point in complaining? 7 will continue to work just fine.

I did read that 8 might use less memory, though. Whatever.
    Last edited by Belloc; 2012-07-22 at 09:40 PM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be upgrading my wife's computer from Vista to Windows 8, but that's about it. Everything else will likely remain on 7.

I really like windows 8. Metro takes some getting use to but once you learn a little about how it is used and how much faster you can be at switching, pining, and changing between programs and Metro APPs - Win8 offers a lot. I was able to ditch winamp for the IHeartRadio and Slacker Radio APPs and I never look back. The only problem i've ran into so far is having to click desktop every time i boot, but that's just a minor annoyance at best.

The good outweighs the annoyance of clicking one button at start up. Also, 10 second boot times with a normal HDD. TEN SECONDS.

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post

Your games aren't being designed for Windows 8, so what's the point in complaining? 7 will continue to work just fine.

Then who is it designed for?
    Businesses? Can't see a big business adopting it and having to teach the users to use Metro.

I hate metro with a burning passion only Window 9 might be able the quench.

I was originally quite sceptical about Windows 8 but ever since I installed the Consumer Preview I've been loving it. It has a couple of flaws (it's still beta after all) but I'm quite sure the final version will be great.

I'm not sure why people keep dissing it. It's a lot more streamlined and practical, it consumes less memory and according to some forum posters it runs games much smoother.
    The only thing I'd change is I'd put the Start button back to toggle the Metro UI, rather than using the bottom-left corner or the windows key.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their is a trend with MS. 2000=Great, ME= Garbage, XP=Great, Vista=Garbage, 7=Great, Metro=Garbage. As others have said, wait for 9.

Always afraid to post on MMO-Champ. Get infracted for the tiniest little things.

As mentioned above, MS has made some major mistakes, ME, Vista to name a few. Win 7 is what Vista *should* have been. While I have not yet tested 8, I work in an almost exclusively business environment with Software Assurance, so we will be able to go to 8 when its ready but will almost certainly hold off. My general policy is to not touch any OS/NOS until it has been service packed at least once.

As to the APP system - everything is going that way. Users are getting used to the APP idea because of the deluge of iPhones and Droids and it will be a natural extension to see it on the desktop at home.

I don't know a darn thing about it, but Windows 7 just came out and I like it just fine. This is exactly what I felt like when Vista came out...there was nothing wrong with XP. At the end of the day I just want something that looks and works good, and Windows 7 does just that. If they didn't come out with another OS for another 15 years, I'd be just fine with that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post

it's good for a tablet but nothing else it's a stupid idea. (imo) Windows 7 I still love after having it for a while and I don't see a point in replacing it with what will be an identical system (after I disable the metro UI shit) and less memory usage? please. Look at how cheap RaM is right now.

Gives me chills every time I look at it.

Deleted
    People seem to be very narrow minded these days ;

1) W8 runs 22% faster in all tasks vs W7 (as a gamer, that's already a must have simply for that one reason).
    2) The tiles screen is an option not an obligation, the rest looks basically the same, just a bit more modernized.

Quote Originally Posted by belgicanofl View Post
    People seem to be very narrow minded these days ;

1) W8 runs 22% faster in all tasks vs W7 (as a gamer, that's already a must have simply for that one reason).
    2) The tiles screen is an option not an obligation, the rest looks basically the same, just a bit more modernized.
    Most people dislike metro, not W8. You can't be narrow minded about something subjective like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Gives me chills every time I look at it.

Forget it exists.