Thread: MoP PTR

MoP PTR

Hello,

Since the mop ptr has been released I wanted to try it out. However, in my account, the ptr option shows the catacylsm box instead of the mop box. I tried dl-ing the client but nothing happens when I try to open the file that comes out of it.

Interestingly the file thats downloaded is World of Warcraft Beta Setup, which is kinda weird since this is the ptr and not the beta?

Few notes: stopped playing a few months back, no beta invite, and i use a mac. in case any of those may be problematic.

halpz!

The PTR account shows the Cataclysm box because you aren't testing MoP. You're testing the transition from Cataclysm.

Also, the beta client and the PTR client is the one and same this time. I suspect they've saved a lot of time doing it like that.

No idea why it won't launch though, but it may be related to the excessive pressure the servers have been put under this weekend.

Thought the launching problem might've been with the servers. Thanks.

When you say testing the transition, are we only experiencing the changes to the game (such as talent trees) but not the mop stuff? I thought we'd at least get to experience some level 90 stuff if not also the 85-90 leveling.

Deleted
    the ptr is just the pre-launch patch, so it is mainly talent changes etc. There is no getting to 86, or going to Pandaria or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zerorequiem View Post

When you say testing the transition, are we only experiencing the changes to the game (such as talent trees) but not the mop stuff? I thought we'd at least get to experience some level 90 stuff if not also the 85-90 leveling.
    Nope, only the new class changes, engine features, cross-realm zones, and the pre-expansion world event. Oh, and the account-wide stuff too. That last one in particular I figure needs a lot of testing to make sure people's pet collections suddenly don't go missing when they deploy the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by zerorequiem View Post

HAHAHAHAHA. No...the PTR is only the transition stuff. All the Pandaria stuff is tested in the beta. Never in the PTR.

oh. poops.

well less incentive to play the ptr lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Nope, only the new class changes, engine features, cross-realm zones, and the pre-expansion world event. Oh, and the account-wide stuff too. That last one in particular I figure needs a lot of testing to make sure people's pet collections suddenly don't go missing when they deploy the patch.
    This.

Transition patches have always been tested on the PTR without expansion exclusive content. This is to ensure that there is a clean line drawn between expansion and non-expansion content so the game won't implode if you try to play the game after 5.0 hits without having the expansion installed (which will be everyone for a month or two). Starting with Cataclysm, it is also used as a platform to test the expansion opening event since beta players swiftly outlevel that content.
    Roleplaying, hardcore Raiding, running LFR on the occasional weekend, PvPing, rolling alts, achievement hunting, pet battling, or just enacting an endless series of whims, I don't care how you play WoW. Just as long as you have fun doing it.

Are the servers locked on the ptr? Everytime I try to log on, it queues me for the Korean server and then says all servers are locked. Any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by Serpenth View Post
    Are the servers locked on the ptr? Everytime I try to log on, it queues me for the Korean server and then says all servers are locked. Any insight?
    Yeah, there's an extremely low player-limit on the servers at the moment. No one knows why, but they're probably testing something.

Deleted
    Is the PTR supposed to be a 20gig download?...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskz View Post
    If you don't already have the beta or PTR installed, yes. It's a completely separate client from the live game, requiring its own complete set of files.

Yep, it's simply the beta client. Meaning you have to download all the Pandaria assets too, even if they're not used in the PTR. This round of testing is supposed to simulate what WoW looks like right before MoP launches.

Deleted
    Yep, it's simply the beta client. Meaning you have to download all the Pandaria assets too, even if they're not used in the PTR. This round of testing is supposed to simulate what WoW looks like right before MoP launches.
    Yes thankyou, I know. Just didn't expect it to be 20gigs, I know the Beta is I just asumed that you wouldn't downlaod content that is part of the Beta. Though I have no clue how all this works with clients and etc.

Yes thankyou, I know. Just didn't expect it to be 20gigs, I know the Beta is I just asumed that you wouldn't downlaod content that is part of the Beta. Though I have no clue how all this works with clients and etc.
    As far as I know (please corerct me if I'm wrong), you still need to download the full thing on live servers even if you have an account that's only limited to Wrath or TBC, simply because it's easier to deal with instead of having to split it up for different users. It sucks for the players that don't need the content, but it means that Blizzard has more time to develop things.

Deleted
    As far as I know (please corerct me if I'm wrong), you still need to download the full thing on live servers even if you have an account that's only limited to Wrath or TBC, simply because it's easier to deal with instead of having to split it up for different users. It sucks for the players that don't need the content, but it means that Blizzard has more time to develop things.
    Yes you do need to download everything, though I see no point in buying WoW if you don't inted do upgrade to Cataclysm. I understand new players wanting to test it out but after you've tested it out enough you should buy the latest expansion pack since that's where the action is.