Thread: I like Mages.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    things are quite simple when comes to mages' abilities. They got so much, they rarely be forced to use most of them. I dunno if blink is the spare one, but a class with so much cc, utility survivability and mobility, shouldn't have this kind of ridiculous burst dmg. I saw a post on this threat, someone said that ele shamans are op. And I know why he said that. Cause if someone gets a 30-40k lava burst, he ll freak out. What about a simple frost mage combo that can bring you down to 40-50% health in 3 seconds? And above all, its survivability, pvp is all about survivability. And ele - enh shamans are sh*t on this. On the other hand, mages, and especially frost mages are one of the best non-healer specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hunters, DK, Pallys, Priests, Druids, Warlocks, Shammys, and Mages. They are all OP if you know how to play them right. Blink helps Mages because we're so fucking squishy, melee would rape our face.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

mages are fine, l2play everyone.

i play a hunter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post
    So what is this about? BGs? Arena? Duels? Might want to specify. I'm just going to asume it's arena.

- Are mages the best class in arena atm?
    -> No. If you look at the current top tier arena charts they are not clustered with mages (not in 2s 3s or 5s).

- Are mages overpowered?
    -> That depends on the viewpoint. Are we comparing classes that are currently terribly broken at pvp (paladins, warriors, etc.) to a currently viable class (mage). Then yes sure. But if we compare other viable classes like shamans, rogues, locks and priests to mages then no definately not.

- Were mages always good?
    -> Kind of yes. Mages are one of the few classes that have never been increadibly terrible. There were some hard times here and there but nothing like for example paladins, shamans or druids had to endure. Mages are easy to balance, that's the simple reason. Nothing more.

- Why do people preceive mages as increadibly OP?
    -> Mages are (arguably) the easiest class to pick up. You can wreak alot of havoc even if you are only a mediocre player. This results in mages being VERY plentiful in the 1.8k-2.2k bracket where most people (that are halfway serious about pvp) play. The mage seems OP because of other players inability to use their own class / team comp to the fullest.

TL;DR:
    Mages are not the best class.
    Don't comapre classes that currently suck at pvp to viable pvp classes.
    Mages have been stable over time. (Making them a reliable choice in pvp.)
    It's easy to play mage but also easy to learn how to counter one. Improve your own play instead of complaining.
    This basically sums up the whole argument for me, truthful and well worded. Mages are good have pretty much always been so, I'm glad i stick with my mage through thick and thin, as i am hardly ever dissappointed. Like i may of said before, i'm no expert in PvP but i feel i'm better than average player. Having said that i don't pvp that much on my mage i tend to level alts and gear them up, just working on my 9th one, enhancement shaman. I used to think wolves were OP but playing enhance shows me thats the only time when enhance do half way decent damage.

My suggestion is to people not to judge a class until you've played it yourself, and not at 84 or lower, you can pwn vast majority of players below 85 as most likely you'll have heirlooms and such. The journey from 0 resilience to 4k+ is brutal with any class.

10+ Year Old Account
    ITT: People will call Mages OP while not being anywhere near above 2400+. They will yell and shout about how they always lose, because they are overpowered and cannot kill them within 15 seconds running some melee cleave cheese comp.

This is what I've experienced over the years of being on MMO-C.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 10:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gend View Post
    So what is this about? BGs? Arena? Duels? Might want to specify. I'm just going to asume it's arena.

- Are mages the best class in arena atm?
    -> No. If you look at the current top tier arena charts they are not clustered with mages (not in 2s 3s or 5s).

- Are mages overpowered?
    -> That depends on the viewpoint. Are we comparing classes that are currently terribly broken at pvp (paladins, warriors, etc.) to a currently viable class (mage). Then yes sure. But if we compare other viable classes like shamans, rogues, locks and priests to mages then no definately not.

- Were mages always good?
    -> Kind of yes. Mages are one of the few classes that have never been increadibly terrible. There were some hard times here and there but nothing like for example paladins, shamans or druids had to endure. Mages are easy to balance, that's the simple reason. Nothing more.

- Why do people preceive mages as increadibly OP?
    -> Mages are (arguably) the easiest class to pick up. You can wreak alot of havoc even if you are only a mediocre player. This results in mages being VERY plentiful in the 1.8k-2.2k bracket where most people (that are halfway serious about pvp) play. The mage seems OP because of other players inability to use their own class / team comp to the fullest.

TL;DR:
    Mages are not the best class.
    Don't comapre classes that currently suck at pvp to viable pvp classes.
    Mages have been stable over time. (Making them a reliable choice in pvp.)
    It's easy to play mage but also easy to learn how to counter one. Improve your own play instead of complaining.
    Pretty much this. Can I thumbs-up this post?

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 10:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hadur View Post
    Check world rankings
    5s ranking, top 7 teams, 6 with a mage
    3s ranking, top 4 teams, 3 of them with a mage
    2s ranking, highest team, priest mage

Not the best class in high end arena, true. But they are still there in almost every team in the world top.
    Yet you are viewing it from an odd perspective. The players who are playing those Mages could just be better players than the players who play other classes ranked below them.

And... I said play or a form of play WAY too often in that last sentence.

Deleted
    Sometimes i would be happy if blink removing stun were deep in arcane but rogues would just eat them.

Having played a mage for years, the entire time warlocks raped face, I'm happy now. I'm reactivating my account since they're back on top... where they belong. Glass Cannons for a reason people.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilRipper View Post
    Having played a mage for years, the entire time warlocks raped face, I'm happy now. I'm reactivating my account since they're back on top... where they belong. Glass Cannons for a reason people.
    warlocks are still kings...
    this game sucks

As any SMART and competent player that knows how to play above 1000 mmr will tell you, l2p. Mages are easy moad if you get dispells. Even in 2v2 which is terribly unbalanced, mages get demolished when they go against a competent melee/healer team. Priest/feral just eats my mage up and I legit can't do anything the entire match. How about that mass dispel for your only real defensive cooldown? Mages cannot solo kill real healers unless they get a healer that has all his cooldowns already popped. You guys are just butthurt that you lose 1v1 against them. My DK completely eats mages alive if they waste blink. Just DG and blow AMS and its a free kill. All you scrubs crying about mages being OP should gtfo and go play in a real pvp setting, 3v3. If you get pwned in BG's/1v1/2v2, it's not anyone's fault but yours for doing unbalanced PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by naturetauren View Post
    Sometimes i would be happy if blink removing stun were deep in arcane but rogues would just eat them.
    You can replace rogues with warriors for MoP.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by rektlol View Post
    warlocks are still kings...
    Affliction is still king.