Deleted

Artic Freezer Pro 7 rev. 2 fan not working

Hey guys, first time poster here.

New computer arrived a few days ago. When I boot it up the fan on the heatsink spins for 1 second then turns off straight after, not to start spinning again. The temps of the CPU get to max of 80c when playing games and the fan still doesn't kick in... (measured in coretemp) any ideas :s? some specs below:

I5 2500k, no oc done.
    gtx570 1.25gb
    GA-Z68AP-D3 motherboard
    and Artic Freezer Pro 7 rev.2

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Fori View Post
    Hey guys, first time poster here.

New computer arrived a few days ago. When I boot it up the fan on the heatsink spins for 1 second then turns off straight after, not to start spinning again. The temps of the CPU get to max of 80c when playing games and the fan still doesn't kick in... (measured in coretemp) any ideas :s? some specs below:

I5 2500k, no oc done.
    gtx570 1.25gb
    GA-Z68AP-D3 motherboard
    and Artic Freezer Pro 7 rev.2

Thanks in advance!
    Sounds like the motherboard fan controller might be on the fritz. Try plugging the fan directly into the power supply. The cooler probably came with some sort of adapter to do so.

Deleted
    No, doesn't look like in came with an adapter of that type in the box, should I buy one or try something else first?

Quote Originally Posted by Fori View Post
    No, doesn't look like in came with an adapter of that type in the box, should I buy one or try something else first?
    If you still have the stock heatsink that came with your processor, i suggest swapping to that and see if it does the same. if it does, its your motherboard, if not its the artic freezer pro.

if its your motherboard. check for bios updates, firmware, etc.. or see if other people had the same problem your facing.

Deleted
    No... sorry don't have that either! I'll look into updating the bios.

Which power out did you plug the fan into on your motherboard? If it's not working on the CPU FAN pins, try it on SYS FAN or CHASSIS FAN or some such.

Deleted
    I have tried plugging it into the SYS FAN pins, but it didn't work, doesn't look like the wire will reach down to the other power out. I also tried plugging in my rear fan into the CPU FAN pins and it still worked, so I don't think that's the problem

Found this on another forum. Hope it helps:

I just got this cooler and was having this problem. I seem to have fixed it with a little injudicious fiddling around:

I took the fan off the cooler (the instructions for doing so are given, it's easy, and visually examined the fan. The plastic component with the actual fan blades and hub, pulled off easily. Too easily. Examining the metal spindle/axle on the inside of that plastic hub, I saw it had a notch. I pushed it back into the motor, firmly enough for that notch to click. Resists being pulled off now. Plugged the fan back in, it worked first time.

The problem here seems to be careless assembly of the final components at the factory. The fan is not being pushed properly into the motor; thus it's not engaging properly, the motor can't turn it, and things rapidly go downhill from there. luckily it's an easy fix.

Deleted
    Thanks, I'll try it, will report back.

---------- Post added 2012-07-24 at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mugshot View Post
    Found this on another forum. Hope it helps:

I just got this cooler and was having this problem. I seem to have fixed it with a little injudicious fiddling around:

I took the fan off the cooler (the instructions for doing so are given, it's easy, and visually examined the fan. The plastic component with the actual fan blades and hub, pulled off easily. Too easily. Examining the metal spindle/axle on the inside of that plastic hub, I saw it had a notch. I pushed it back into the motor, firmly enough for that notch to click. Resists being pulled off now. Plugged the fan back in, it worked first time.

The problem here seems to be careless assembly of the final components at the factory. The fan is not being pushed properly into the motor; thus it's not engaging properly, the motor can't turn it, and things rapidly go downhill from there. luckily it's an easy fix.
    Thanks, it worked! Thanks for the help everyone.