When people say "trust me"

I'm curious if any else responds to this phrasing in the same way I do. When people are talking to you and they say this before giving you supposed facts does it make you less likely to find them credible? To me trust in what someone is telling you comes from your notion of how knowledgeable and trustworthy that person has made themselves out to be up until that point. When they say "trust me" it gives me the sense that they may feel extra confident about their knowledge but insecure in the idea that it may be questioned by you. This leads me to believe they're just at a "I know this because a friend told me or I sort of was involved with something similar at one point" level of confidence and as a result I discount the following idea/knowledge they present. So it has the exact reverse effect of what they are trying to get across. Thoughts?

I would say it's relative. If your heart surgeon looks like a well tanned graduate and says "trust me," I would be marginally concerned that his pressing tee-time is going to result in my left atrium bloating up like a mob corpse in the river.

when i hear those words i generally take it to mean the exact opposite. kind of like when someone starts a story with "this aint no lie..."

Yep. 'Trust me' is useless if you havn't and refuse to earn my trust.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    it depends on what they say after trust me. If they just tell me a random fact about something, i get skeptical, but if they tell me something from personal experience, like a "trust me, ive done it before" thing, i usually believe them
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoonalol View Post
    wat are the 2 gob mounts.. i only know the trike

trust me, I'm an engineer
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

YOU CAN ALWAYS TRUST ARNOLD

Whenever someone says "trust me" I don't believe them too, if a person is honest they don't need to say "trust me". If they say that after I question them, then it is circumstantial on who said it.

I usually assume people are talking out their ass and ignore most of the sounds they make.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The last words of humankind before it gone extinct:
    Trust me!

I say "trust me" all the time. I also never cease to be amused when I see that half-angry "oh shit, should have listened to him, but how can I play this off to not look like a complete ass" face when their way blows up.

Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    I'm curious if any else responds to this phrasing in the same way I do. When people are talking to you and they say this before giving you supposed facts does it make you less likely to find them credible? To me trust in what someone is telling you comes from your notion of how knowledgeable and trustworthy that person has made themselves out to be up until that point. When they say "trust me" it gives me the sense that they may feel extra confident about their knowledge but insecure in the idea that it may be questioned by you. This leads me to believe they're just at a "I know this because a friend told me or I sort of was involved with something similar at one point" level of confidence and as a result I discount the following idea/knowledge they present. So it has the exact reverse effect of what they are trying to get across. Thoughts?
    I say it from time to time. Mostly online when I don't care enough to spend the time to explain something because quite often someone will disagree with you just because. I don't really care if people online disagree with me though. I stopped thinking about them the instant I hit reply.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shh, or we'll never get away with saying, "Trust me, if we use enough lube it won't hurt at all".

10+ Year Old Account
    If epic music is playing, "Trust Me" is totally a viable thing to say.

I think there are various factors involved regarding people saying "trust me". It might be joe-blow down the street who is telling you about insurance tips, so he says "trust me, I've gone through this before." In this example, he's using "trust me" as a way to convince you that he wants you to do what he wants you to.

Then there's the insurance agent who, after going through all the documentation, says "You can trust me, I'm a reputable person for a reputable and well respected organization." who appears genuinely interested in your well being.

There's the parent, who says "Trust me. I was your age, and made X mistake, and I don't want you to go through what I did." Again, seems genuine, just need to be sure they're not saying it just to not get you to not do something.

In my opinion, most of the time people say "trust me", though, because it sounds better than saying "I'm right you're wrong, sorry pal" and want you on their side lol.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I say trust me when I get the indication that the person I'm attempting to relay important information to will ignore it or not trust me in the first place.

It's basically my way of saying "no, really, you should really listen to me. For serious."

Those that are inclined to react in the opposite manner... Well, sucks to be them.

Deleted
    oh I know this friend who just refuses to believe me sometimes...he thinks he knows me so good he can tell when I lie.
    So it gets kinda frustrating to say something to him and you can feel he doesn't believe you,so I remember saying ''trust me'' a lot...it never really helped cause he's so stubborn.