Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

A New Hope... for f2p.

Source:
    Star Wars: The Old Republic has recently taken a tentative step towards free-to-play, but was hesitant to jump in completely. The company might still finish that journey, though, as comments from EA CEO John Riccitiello imply that the company is still considering its options. In an interview with CNBC (via The Escapist), Riccitiello says that the "softness" of Star Wars led to its current partial free-to-play model. "Our conclusion was we had a great product in Star Wars, but that the subscription model in the world of free-to-play was challenging," he said. He went on to note that the free-to-play model has a lot of power, and stresses that it can be a good revenue generator despite the name. He said, "We've begun to work with different models," but stopped short of directly stating any future plans. He also said that the shrinking player base isn't a "pressing concern," so it may still be a while before EA gives up the ghost and goes fully F2P.
    Want... WANT!!!

Maybe they can implement some sort of IP/RP system of unlocking stuff. They could really do a lot with a league of legends F2P model.
    -BoA moddable sets
    -BoA scalable reusable stims/medkits (gets capped at level 47 blue quality ofc)
    -Legacy unlocks! Unlock with legacy level or credits OR CASH!
    -Bonus series
    -Bonus space missions
    -Bonus companions. (I want Zaeed!)
    -BoA social sets
    -Mentor-ship legacy perks (Be able to lower your characters level while in FPs to your group members level to help them level.)
    -Unlock more ships!
    -Unlock more customization across the board

If they just make sure there's an IP equivalent they are set.

I love league and moonbreakers system. Swtor should totally implement it.

Edit: They could sell moddable sets like skins! Frostfire Bounty Hunter!
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-07-23 at 06:55 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

F2P. YES!!!

IP/RP system. FUCK NO!!! Expecially if you're dealing with legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    F2P. YES!!!

IP/RP system. FUCK NO!!! Expecially if you're dealing with legacy.
    Guess the current legacy unlock system would work.

Just tack on "or 800 Bioware Points" to the end of everything.

I would definitely play SWTOR if it goes F2P. Casually, of course, in the periods where WoW gerts boring.

Deleted
    DOh .... :/

If only the developers would look at how well DC Universe Online does it's F2P combined with an optional subscription mode for more benefits, they would see how well this could benefit them.

Basement Wizard Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Necromaniac View Post
    If only the developers would look at how well DC Universe Online does it's F2P combined with an optional subscription mode for more benefits, they would see how well this could benefit them.
    There are countless examples of how awesome free to play CAN be.

If EA doesn't wise up quickly Nexon will eat them.

10+ Year Old Account
    With a steady playerbase, they are making much more with a subscription fee. It is profitable if the playerbase is ~500,000. We are currently at 1,300,000 as of last call. This could have either raised or lowered but we won't know for about a week and a half. I am all for a subscription fee because it "guarantees" content. I am against cash shops and refuse to play games that requires me to buy character slots and other things that are pretty necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    There are countless examples of how awesome free to play CAN be.

If EA doesn't wise up quickly Nexon will eat them.
    Haha Nexon. I c wut u did ther. =P
    Gotta admit, Nexon does have some small diamonds in the rough. I played Dragons Nest for a bit. Anyway, another thing they could consider with the F2P idea is converging all their servers into one Mega-server with different "phases". DC has it so everyone is on this "Mass-server" but can switch between phases to lighten the load on server lag. Plus it would get some of the low population area's alive again.

Basement Wizard Extraordinaire!

Haha Nexon. I c wut u did ther. =P
    Gotta admit, Nexon does have some small diamonds in the rough. I played Dragons Nest for a bit. Anyway, another thing they could consider with the F2P idea is converging all their servers into one Mega-server with different "phases". DC has it so everyone is on this "Mass-server" but can switch between phases to lighten the load on server lag. Plus it would get some of the low population area's alive again.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...ers-to-buy-ea/

I wasn't making a joke though

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, another thing they could consider with the F2P idea is converging all their servers into one Mega-server with different "phases". DC has it so everyone is on this "Mass-server" but can switch between phases to lighten the load on server lag. Plus it would get some of the low population area's alive again.
    With the recent server consolidations, there is rarely a "low population" area. All planets have a decent amount of players on them. Granted I'm only seeing about 40-50 right now because it is 3PM EST, I am sure in a few hours it will get up in the 70s.

On fleet, there are always 3-4 instances at 5PM EST and on. I don't think a mega server will be particularly a good idea since we are already getting lag in Denova with 3 instances of players. I'm not sure how their Hero engine will work with it. I don't completely disagree with the idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    With a steady playerbase, they are making much more with a subscription fee. It is profitable if the playerbase is ~500,000. We are currently at 1,300,000 as of last call. This could have either raised or lowered but we won't know for about a week and a half. I am all for a subscription fee because it "guarantees" content. I am against cash shops and refuse to play games that requires me to buy character slots and other things that are pretty necessary.
    This.

I'm pretty broke these days. It's a shitty economy, and I manage to shell out my $15 a month for SWTOR. I think the sub model is going to guarantee content, while F2P will make you buy content packs, mail privileges, being able to trade with others, auction house privileges, and more than 3 character slots? Fuck that. Fuck that with a huge, floppy dildo. I'm seriously done at that point, which would be a shame, because I love the game.

The only way I could support an FTP model, would be if it kept open all the features you get now, and the "cash shop" was for boosts (xp boost, etc), cosmetics, additional ways to unlock some legacy (I guess, though I don't like it).

In general, I really hate the idea. It took a game like DDO and made it shit to play F2P. The good classes and races all had to be bought. I would have laid out the $15 a month for a "gold membership" if it didn't make me feel so goddamn dirty for supporting those bastards. I know they have to make money, but make that cosmetic shit. Otherwise, I hate when wallet-warriors can dominate because of how much money they throw at the game.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

10+ Year Old Account
    With the recent server consolidations, there is rarely a "low population" area. All planets have a decent amount of players on them. Granted I'm only seeing about 40-50 right now because it is 3PM EST, I am sure in a few hours it will get up in the 70s.

On fleet, there are always 3-4 instances at 5PM EST and on. I don't think a mega server will be particularly a good idea since we are already getting lag in Denova with 3 instances of players. I'm not sure how their Hero engine will work with it. I don't completely disagree with the idea though.
    I was thrilled to role a new toon on Harbinger yesterday afternoon and see 130+ on Tython.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Color shifting lightsaber crystals in the cash shop perhaps?

http://aniwanrave2.ytmnd.com/

Again I counter with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-IIn-DG-c

The same question I always ask: Do you feel, that in the past 6-7 months, that you have gotten 2 expansions worth of content for your money? (not counting stuff that was unfinished like Legacy and KP)

10+ Year Old Account
    If it goes F2P I think they should check the GW2 model, where you can still buy some sort of "gems" (or points etc.) with the ingame credits/gold and you only buy cosmetic stuff + leveling boosts etc. + maybe the legacy unlocks but definitely not whole sets, bonus things like ships, missions etc., srsly I don't want NOTHING like that to happen. Otherwise I'd have no problem with it, it would be cool to save some money just like with GW2. Good times ahead

10+ Year Old Account
    As others have said, if they go with a model that has a sub or pay for content model I think it will do well. LoTRO has the same model and it seems to be doing pretty good.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    In general, I really hate the idea. It took a game like DDO and made it shit to play F2P. The good classes and races all had to be bought. I would have laid out the $15 a month for a "gold membership" if it didn't make me feel so goddamn dirty for supporting those bastards. I know they have to make money, but make that cosmetic shit. Otherwise, I hate when wallet-warriors can dominate because of how much money they throw at the game.
    Actually, same company-different game, LotRO made me feel sketched out at first, because it forces you into a sub or at least purchasing points one time. The key there is ONE time. Compare that the equivalent of just purchasing their game client and it's not really anything we should be getting up in arms about.

As long as that initial purchase unlocks the must-haves: no currency cap, bag/character slots, mail, AH, etc...then this is a great system. You can earn perks, boosts, cosmetics, not to mention xpacs.

SWTOR would be just fine with this model, but I do think that subs lead to a constant quality for at least 5 years, but not more (I'm looking at you blizz!)

edit: Damn you phil and your contriteness.

Even if it did go f2p i won't be going back to it...it barely held my interest as it was and i doubt an EA f2p model will be entirely free and balanced

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Even if it did go f2p i won't be going back to it...it barely held my interest as it was and i doubt an EA f2p model will be entirely free and balanced
    Um...

Good to know?