Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm finding it funny that people think we need "saving" to begin with. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

It's just a game

GW2 is sort of my MMO savior. I started playing MMO's with UO in 1997 and have played various ones since, including too many years of WoW. I have not played anything in about 3-4 years because I just don't have the time anymore. I have really enjoyed the beta, and I see GW2 as something I can play when I have time and still get something out of. And no monthly fee to boot. So GW2 may not be exactly what everyone needs from an MMO, but it has enough for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    No one here played GW2 and after an hour felt swept off their feet into Narnia.
    Are you outside my window? O_O;

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG.

Stop spouting your opinion as if it's fact. It isn't. I bloody well enjoyed GW2, and it's exactly what I expected from videos, because I didn't stupidly overhype it as the second coming of Jesus. It's a good game. That's it.

And don't you dare tell me how I felt about a game.
    Color me surprised, but im pretty sure you rolled on Desolation didnt you? Its a much better topic then listening to the OP spew his dogma trying to shove it down people's throats as absolute fact.

Don't say he's being objective, everything he's spouted is his own subjective opinion, then telling us if we don't have the same opinion we're lying.

Telling me what my opinion "should be" is one way to get me very angry, very fast.
    Then simply not engaging in a fruitful discussion makes you no better. You really gonna let that get to you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    I think you should just reread his post with a bit of objectivity. While a few of his statements have "come ahhnnnnn" tone, they are backed up with things that I hope you didn't notice. Such as progress bars simply replacing mob kills. His opinion is that people's first impressions and expectations were simply too great for the game to actually live up to. That is a valid opinion and for you to tell him otherwise because he doesn't think anyone should disagree with his reasonable argument is just calling the kettle black.
    Bolded part in your post. I disagree with it. For me it was exactly as I expected. It lived up to my expectations. He said people were bullshitting if we told him the game was what we expected from the videos. It was.

He also said:
    No one here played GW2 and after an hour felt swept off their feet into Narnia. You started feeling the similarities and realizing that progress bars are just another way of counting the number of monsters you killed or things you've gathered.
    I haven't felt that. I didn't even freaking notice most of the time that I was filling the progress bar. I wasn't into Narnia, but I was enjoying the hell out of the game and actually not caring about hearts or levels. I was just doing random things and then got my mail about how my heart had been filled.

Why is it that I'm apparently so offensive?
    I'm not bullshitting, but clearly this opinion can only be bullshitting because I enjoyed and got exactly what I wanted out of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    Let's face it, the MMO market is stale. There's about 3-4 new ones coming out every year or two and while they all have this or that new thing, in the end their lackings overcome their novelties, and you stop giving a damn about trying to like them.

Before I go further, GW2 is by no means bad, it's a solid game with lots of things to do and no monthly fees for such time invested crafted content.

However, as I'm sure many have realized by now, it's not the game changer we all expected from the videos.

It's not, don't bullshit me. No one here played GW2 and after an hour felt swept off their feet into Narnia. You started feeling the similarities and realizing that progress bars are just another way of counting the number of monsters you killed or things you've gathered.

The events ARE something great, just going around and things happening around you is MUCH MORE fun than going to the quest givers, acquiring 20 quests, then going back to get your loot and XP. HUGE IMPROVEMENT on an important MMO factor, no. doubt. about. it. Everyone needs to do it now in my opinion.

However, beyond that and the beautiful graphics, it just seems to lack a sense of overall direction or purpose. The PVP is super duper too, but this game needs something more, to make it the savior of MMOs and push this corrupt old market forward at warp speed.
    Just cause you wasnt swept off your feet. Don't try to speak for others. GW2 blew me away and even more so in the last beta now i dont think ill be playing MoP at all when it launches when i thought i would be there at launch now im definitely not sure. GW2 PvE has really done something to me, and Im more into PvP than anythin!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    I'm not bullshitting, but clearly this opinion can only be bullshitting because I enjoyed and got exactly what I wanted out of the game?
    God forbid we ever express interest in a game. :O
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Don't say he's being objective, everything he's spouted is his own subjective opinion, then telling us if we don't have the same opinion we're lying.

Telling me what my opinion "should be" is one way to get me very angry, very fast.
    Fully agreed with that. State opinions as opinions, but don't make them fact. And don't say that different opinions are bullshitting.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I'm finding it funny that people think we need "saving" to begin with. O_o
    Exactly. I didn't know our existence depended upon MMO variety. Some people have very strange priorities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Exactly. I didn't know our existence depended upon MMO variety. Some people have very strange priorities.
    Yeah. I can't understand the concept. Don't like it don't play it. Never needed any game to come and save me from its own genre. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Lolvanish View Post
    The worse part about the MMO market now a days is the community full of self entitled pricks.
    This^ and more This^

I don't know what has happened to the MMO community and wanting MMO Game B to destroy and kill MMO Game A. Why not enjoy both? Whats the problem???

GW2 is doing exactly what it said on the box and its even better playing it than what i saw in videos im soo damn happy with how its turned out.

The game was fantastic for me, and I was indeed swept off of my feet. Not everybody's going to love it, but for those who do, it's great. I wouldn't try to speak for others in that regard, because people tend to not take too kindly to that. It's not the savior of anything though. It's a game.

Look. Another one of those people who seem to believe they know everything, and therefore must make a thread in order to tell us how wrong all of our opinion's are, and how right his is. I'm not sure how serious I should take this.

The game swept me off my feet. Simple as that. I loved everything about it, from the combat, to the movement, to the various objectives in the open world, to the PvP in both structured and WvW settings. So judging by your logic, I guess that means your opinion was wrong, since mine differs? Sounds pretty silly, doesn't it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Absintheminded View Post
    Then simply not engaging in a fruitful discussion makes you no better. You really gonna let that get to you?
    I'm willing to engage in reasoned discussion, people in this forum can attest to that. But why would I waste my time on someone who is telling me what my opinion is? Is he going to listen to reason? I doubt it.

And yes terrahero, I was. Did I meet you? I met a lot of people, but it's hard to put names to forum accounts.

GW2 is not the second coming of MMO Jesus as people seem to think. The game is great, the environments are beautiful, but then there are pretty ugly character animations/armor designs and other things. The concept of weapon swapping and world events is great, but it's not some kind of huge change up that was never thought of before and completely out of left field, it's just a better take on other concepts and taken to an extreme.

People need to stop overhyping shit so much nowadays, because no game or movie is ever going to live up to its own hype. If you enjoy the game play it, if you don't then don't. But for fucks sake, it's not the end of the world if GW2 doesn't make 999 million subscriptions in the first few months, and it's not the end of the world even if it does (impossible by my exaggeration but yeah) because people will PLAY WHATEVER GAME THEY LIKE AND NEW ONES WILL ALWAYS COME OUT.

I don't know what has happened to the MMO community and wanting MMO Game B to destroy and kill MMO Game A. Why not enjoy both? Whats the problem???
    Exactly. MMO playerbase has basically just turned into a pseudo religion nowadays, where anyone who doesn't play your game of faith is obviously wrong and needs to be converted or punished in hellfire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thelordymir View Post
    GW2 is not the second coming of MMO Jesus as people seem to think.
    What people are thinking this?

I haven't met them.

I played gw2 bwe3 having never played any other bwe or gw1 i went in with an open mind. I have to say im going to be very very bored for the next month while i wait gw2 was everything i expected and more.
    Sorry OP if u didn't feel swept into tyria or narnia as u put it but i did get swept into and my pc can only play on lowest settings.
    Maybe its just not the game for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    So OP, you want the savior of MMOs? Wait until they make a VR MMo, there's your savior.

But really.... get off your high-horse and stop talking like your OPINION is the only one that matters.

And yes, the game did sweep me off my feet. PvP-wise anyway, i've been waiting for a decade for an MMO to come out with an RvR type system and GW2 finally did it.