Thread: Dk spellhit...

Dk spellhit...

So I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but I cannot find anything on this. Is DW Frost suppose to be under spell hit cap? Lets do some math. When I am Unholy, and I have 8% melee hit, through I believe Icy Veins(I am at work and forget what its called), we recieve 9% spell hit. 8+9=17, therefore with 8% melee hit were spell hit capped. When I go DW Frost, i still maintain 8% melee hit, I still have the innate talent Icy Veins, but in this case 8+9=15.04%???? It makes no sense, and its very annoying when HB or even Outbreak misses. Anyone know why this is? Thanks for any help in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Atronius View Post
    So I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but I cannot find anything on this. Is DW Frost suppose to be under spell hit cap? Lets do some math. When I am Unholy, and I have 8% melee hit, through I believe Icy Veins(I am at work and forget what its called), we recieve 9% spell hit. 8+9=17, therefore with 8% melee hit were spell hit capped. When I go DW Frost, i still maintain 8% melee hit, I still have the innate talent Icy Veins, but in this case 8+9=15.04%???? It makes no sense, and its very annoying when HB or even Outbreak misses. Anyone know why this is? Thanks for any help in advance.
    Its been answered many times before. In Unholy you are 2handing, you need less melee hit to reach cap because of slower swings. DW suffers a hit penalty do to more "swings" per min/sec, and thus you need more hit to reach cap as DW.

Melee and spell hit rating conversions are different, and the hit from nerves of cold steel only applies to melee attacks. If you're only just melee hit capped as dw frost you won't be spell hit capped.

That's a pretty poor explanation and just isn't right, Ichy.

DW Frost has a talent that gives +3% chance to hit with melee attacks, meaning you only need 5% hit from gear to reach 8%. The talent doesn't give spell hit however so you'll end up below the spell hit cap at ~14-15% rather than 17%. Since spell hit and melee hit have slightly different rating conversion the difference isn't exactly 3%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
    Its been answered many times before. In Unholy you are 2handing, you need less melee hit to reach cap because of slower swings. DW suffers a hit penalty do to more "swings" per min/sec, and thus you need more hit to reach cap as DW.
    Nope incorrect answer.

Lets have a correct answer shall we?

Dual Wield Frost has the Nerves of Cold Steel talent, which gives you 3% free hit if have full points in it.
    Therefore Dual Wield Frost only requires 601 hit rating to increase your hit chance 5% to equal the full 8% required to make special attacks hit 100% of the time.
    Whereas Two-handed Frost or Unholy requires 961 hit rating to increase your hit chance 8% to fully cap it.

Unfortunately due to a error on blizzard's part the free 3% hit given by Nerves of Cold Steel is only "melee hit" and not "spell hit" like we get on gear, therefore spell hit will always lag behind.

It is true duel wield suffers from needing 2883 hit to hit 100% with auto attack swings, but it is silly number that isn't required for dps and isn't even practical to reach without giving up too much haste/crit/mastery.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is simply untrue. Melee hit cap for specials is 8%, white attacks have very little to do with why the cap should be reached.

Thanks guys, I figured it had been, it still doesn't make sense to me since 8+9 in my world =17. The tooltip should be changed. And I'm unclear as to what swing speeds have to do with hit. Thanks for the speedy response guys.
    Last edited by Atronius; 2012-07-23 at 08:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Melee and spell hit rating conversions are different, and the hit from nerves of cold steel only applies to melee attacks. If you're only just melee hit capped as dw frost you won't be spell hit capped.
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=61455/runic-focus even though you are thinking of a different talent your comment about spell and melee hit ratings having different conversions is actually spot on for this. thanks to runic focus we no longer need to over cap for the spell hit cap. Nervs Of Cold Steel + Runic Focus + 5% hit = 17% spell hit and 8% melee hit.

So much misinformation.

Here are the hit caps:
    Special attack hit cap for DW frost: 601 hit rating.
    Spell hit cap for all specs: 820 hit rating
    Melee hit cap for 2H frost/unholy: 961 hit rating.

If you are DW frost, your hit rating goal is 820 hit rating.
    If you are 2H frost or unholy, your hit rating goal is 961.

White hitcap (which is unreachable without gimping your dps) is of no consequence. All it gives is more autoattack damage and more killing machine procs, and haste is better, point-for-point (and that's ignoring the rune regeneration benefits of haste).
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2012-07-23 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinzaram View Post
    Nope incorrect answer.

Dual Wield Frost has the Nerves of Cold Steel talent, which gives you 3% free hit if have full points in it.
    Therefore Dual Wield Frost only requires 601 hit rating to increase your hit chance 5% to equal the full 8% required to make special attacks hit 100% of the time.
    Whereas Two-handed Frost or Unholy requires 961 hit rating to increase your hit chance 8% to fully cap it.

Unfortunately due to a error on blizzard's part the free 3% hit given by Nerves of Cold Steel is only "melee hit" and not "spell hit" like we get on gear, therefore spell hit will always lag behind.

It is true duel wield suffers from needing 2883 hit to hit 100% with auto attack swings, but it is silly number that isn't required for dps and isn't even practical to reach without giving up too much haste/crit/mastery.
    Thats the talent "Nerves of Cold Steel" Now thats a answer I can live with. It actually makes complete sense. Thanks Sinz and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=61455/runic-focus even though you are thinking of a different talent your comment about spell and melee hit ratings having different conversions is actually spot on for this. thanks to runic focus we no longer need to over cap for the spell hit cap. Nervs Of Cold Steel + Runic Focus + 5% hit = 17% spell hit and 8% melee hit.
    No he was thinking of the correct talent and Nerve + Runic Focus + 5% hit =/= 17% spell hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizendragon View Post
    Nervs Of Cold Steel + Runic Focus + 5% hit = 17% spell hit and 8% melee hit.
    This is incorrect.

You need 601 hit rating for 5% physical hit, which is 5.9% spell hit. With that and runic focus you only have 14.9% spell hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Atronius View Post
    Thanks guys, I figured it had been, it still doesn't make sense to me since 8+9 in my world =17. The tooltip should be changed. And I'm unclear as to what swing speeds have to do with hit. Thanks for the speedy response guys.
    You don't have 8% spell hit before runic focus as dual wield frost. Physical and spell hit are not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinzaram View Post
    Nope incorrect answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    This is incorrect.

You need 601 hit rating for 5% physical hit, which is 5.9% spell hit. With that and runic focus you only have 14.9% spell hit.

You don't have 8% spell hit before runic focus as dual wield frost. Physical and spell hit are not the same thing.
    I understand that Physical and spell hit are diff, in that comment a I was simply reffering to not having 17% when 8% melee and the 9% from Nerves. But lets not digress, this has all been very infromative.

Deleted
    that feel when you miss an outbreak

feels bad

Not sure if trolling or talking about a different game...