Poll: is your grandmother a racist?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    2nd generation Italian living in newark NJ.. yes.
    OT: A nun ripped her off for school fees for my mom ( they were pretty poor) and since that day, you ask my grandma about nuns, she would yell, NUNS! Black clothes BLACK HEART!" and would spit. LOL

My dad's dad, drunken Irish. Yes and I don't feel I need to elaborate.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    One was Scottish and Jewish, the other was a passionate liberal. So on both accounts no. Ironically My father is a bit of a racist.

Deleted
    Yes, on my mother's side both of my grandparents are kinda racist.

Everyone a little bit racist even if you don't mean to be.

My grandma isn't, but my grandpa is slightly, he's gonna be 90 this year. I remember a while ago back when I was in high school, and I was down there visiting on vacation he asked me how many "short version of racoons" I had in my school up there, and I had no idea what that term referred to at first, so I looked at him kinda funny, and he then said the n word, yep never did say just "African Americans", used two derogatory terms. He seems more racist towards Mexicans though. He lives in Missouri.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-07-24 at 06:33 AM.

Grandparents are all racist. Stuff was ok back then. This is why Twilight seems so fake. If Edward is really that old he should be yelling about the Japanese like your grandpa.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my grandmothers is, but not like old south racist, she just dislikes mexicans. A majority of my relatives on my fathers side dislike mexicans and illegal immigrants in general, while a minority outright hate black people. My mothers side has no one who is racist as far as I know of.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe... idk both my grandmas were dead before i really knew them

Lol guys you're so funny with all that "racist" term misuse and "N word"

On my dad's side, yeah. She says some pretty nasty comments when she sees people on TV she doesn't like, sometimes racist terms. It's kind of funny listening to her.

But on the same boat, if she knew someone personally who was black or something, she wouldn't think less of them. So she doesn't show racism to individuals, but certainly to groups. I guess she just assumes everyone she meets is an exception to the stereotype, lol.

But she grew up in Texas, not too surprising.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah my grandma is racist. She despises the Japanese for how they treated the POW's in world war 2.

While I don't agree with her, I can't say I blame her for resenting there actions, shes always claimed the happiest day of her life was when WW2 was over.

Deleted
    My grandmother think people are lesser being if they fill these 3 criteria

1) live of wellfare for prolonged amount of time (not having a job = lazy bum to her)
    2) doestn raise their children properly (learning respect to their elders and manners)
    3) Think that society should take care of them without earning it.

So yes, where i come from that pretty much sums up immigrants from the middle east and africa even if everyone can fill those criteria.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's so funny(yet i regret this) to read all theese racist/anti-racist concerns while you live in a place where you hardly meet it or realise some people live among such concerns.
    I realize i would definetely have my point on this question if i could see a black colored persone just passing by more often then once a month. As for asians - there are many, yet it feels like they are all so otherworldly and easily ignorable(and visa versa: they need not interfere with others if they have issues)

OT: My both grannies have never in their life communicated with a black guy so i'm pretty sure they have no reason to dislike any of them.
    However, it is NORMAL to feel suspicious to some ehntic group and just be careful - you never know if you word or action offends them to the state of bloodlust. Gues my grannies would share this opinion with me, they were never trolling others either

offtop: Maybe i'm wrong, but i never experienced in my 25 years any ethnic-based hatred, here in Moscow it seems we may have issues with people based on regions the come from or their religion(rare, but growing)

Not that I've noticed. She seems pretty cool overall. Classic sometimes-bakes-you-cookies stereotypical grandma, and I love her.

One can only hope time will heal the wounds of racism. More likely we'll just find other ways to separate ourselves and hate the "other guy".
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    My grandmother on my dad's side, yes. She called black people darkies and stuff like that. She's dead, though. I never knew my grandfather on my dad's side, so I don't know about him.

On my mom's side, neither of them are, but they're both... a little ignorant, maybe. My uncle married a Filipino woman and my grandfather kept calling them chinamen, but he legitimately didn't realize his mistake. He's really nice to them but the whole multiculturalism thing is fairly new to them, so I can understand it.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

Deleted
    yes, and i guess i am too, i make judgements on people based on there skin color or there different looks, this doesn't necessarily mean a bad judgement.

i make no apologies as i cannot help this, its a built in defense mechanism.

Oh hell yah she is. My whole family grew up in New Orleans. My grandmother would have to go find her kids after school cause a certain ethnic group would A)either beat the shit out of her pre-teen kids or B) hang them from fences by their backpacks so that their feet couldn't touch and leave them there.

Why grandmother? Why not grandfather? That's sexist.

And no. Not that I'm aware of.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Why grandmother? Why not grandfather? That's sexist.
    i am a sexist
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    Only my grandfather is still a racist against Japanese people. He has seen his parents getting executed by the Japansese and a lot of other horrible things in Indonesia in WWII. He was about 14 years old at that time.