Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    To be fair - had it not been for their american media's way of branding things then it would have been considered neutral. It certainly would have in my country. Its a comedy show - that the only "right wing" news station does so many hilarious things is not their fault. The recent ones he has been making jokes out of the NY Mayor because of the soda but not marijuana ban.
    His comedy is based on absurdity not ideology.
    Stewart's a comedian first, but makes no bones that he's left-wing (by American standards) and advocates policies that are left of center. I applaud him for it and love the Daily Show, but I sure wouldn't claim it's a neutral source of information.

Deleted
    BBC is the most reliable one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Oh, absolutely, but if you're the viewer and applying the filter of understanding who the speaker is, there's almost nothing you can get that's a better source for understanding what's going on in Congress. I realize no one has the time to do that all the time though, which is why I suggested NPR in the first place.
    yeah. I once watched CSPAN for about 12 hours straight. Don't ask me why, I have no clue.

That day I realized: I will never again underestimate the stupidity of our elected officials.

10+ Year Old Account
    BBC, the best source for American news.

I'm not kidding,most American news sources either spew shit or have blatant bias.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Entizer View Post
    Must be true, since they are not going to Canada.

http://sayitaintsoalready.com/2011/0...ing-newscasts/

Fairest indeed.
    I couldnt make it through the article but i was looking for what exactly they lied about. Is canada still sore over the red eye remark about the canadian military?

I really hope canadians dont take our comedians, musicians and other entertainers literally.
    Last edited by chadwix; 2012-07-23 at 10:54 PM.

BBC and CNN (which aims to be the US BBC) are extremely neutral.

Another great site that ISN'T neutral is the Guardian (guardian.co.uk). Their opinion writers, who often double up being desk writers (i.e. foreign desk) have a definite leftist slant, and some of their writing has a strong anti-American and counter-establishment streak (they love Bradley Manning and had a hard on for Julian Assange until he cursed them out) but so long as you're expecting that, their live blog is without a doubt one of the best as-it-happens english language news sites on the internet. CNN and BBC don't get even close to the speed and interesting perspectives on live events that it has.

You just need to know though that it's opinion section (comment is free) is one of the biggest cesspool of English-language anti-Americanism on the internet. I mean they have ex-marxists who are apologists for Hugo Chavez and this real nutcase named Seamus Milne (the CiF editor in chief) who, like the king of forum trolls, folds everything into his ongoing anti-American imperialism narrative, just so he can rant about it and get 500 comments on it. He also cheered the bombing of US soldiers in Iraqi years back. As I said, a true nutcase.

So I highly recommend its news section. It's truly excellent. But just be aware, if you're not to the far left, Comment is Free (the editorial pieces) can be downright offensive and frankly unprintable in an American newspaper.

You usually have to watch a large amount of different programs and look up many different sites for American news, all the while dissecting what you have learned from them to attempt to come out with the unbiased news. I will say that Fox News is a pretty good comedy show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reuters and Gallup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Slightly off topic...

But I personally try to look at news sources from across the spectrum, just to see what the different "sides" are saying.

Print news, I check out WSJ, Wash Post, NYT, and a couple others...

TV news, I check out Fox, CNN, and MSNBC.

I also check various news blogs from time to time.

I just think it makes me a more rounded person.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fox News!!!!

C'mon, someone had to say it :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotwin View Post
    Fox news channel. Is the fairest you can get. Most of them are leftist.

Calling FNC only Right. Is based on self assumptions.

Sorry but it has to be said.
    Nobody outside of the right thinks that. In fact, Chris Wallace recently admitted, "I think we’re the counterweight. I think that they have a liberal agenda and I think we tell the other side of the story."

Stewart's a comedian first, but makes no bones that he's left-wing (by American standards) and advocates policies that are left of center. I applaud him for it and love the Daily Show, but I sure wouldn't claim it's a neutral source of information.
    Its not neutral but its pretty damm neutral compared to the other "news" you got.

---------- Post added 2012-07-24 at 01:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maenerd View Post
    Nobody outside of the right thinks that. In fact, Chris Wallace recently admitted, "I think we’re the counterweight. I think that they have a liberal agenda and I think we tell the other side of the story."
    Dont you have news that isnt like... news casters stating their opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Slightly off topic...

But I personally try to look at news sources from across the spectrum, just to see what the different "sides" are saying.

Print news, I check out WSJ, Wash Post, NYT, and a couple others...

TV news, I check out Fox, CNN, and MSNBC.

I also check various news blogs from time to time.

I just think it makes me a more rounded person.
    I watch Fox News when I first wake up in the morning. I have a lot of "WTF was that moments?", but on the whole, I'd say that about 90% of it isn't much different from CNN. It's the devil that's in that 10%.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I watch Fox News when I first wake up in the morning. I have a lot of "WTF was that moments?", but on the whole, I'd say that about 90% of it isn't much different from CNN. It's the devil that's in that 10%.
    Meh, shithole country X getting blown up, rapist McDouchenuzzle is on the loose, cellphones cause brain cancer!!!! About the only thing American (sorry take that back, ALL "News") TV "News" reports. Gotta get them ratings.
    "Oh, wretched ephemeral race, children of chance and misery, why do you compel me to tell you what it would be more expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is utterly beyond your reach; not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. But the second best for you is --- to die soon." Silenus

I just use BBC mostly and Al-Jazeera when I want to see what "the other side" thinks.

Deleted
    BBC is ok (until the Queen/Royals even break a fingernail)
    Al-Jazeera is my favourite.
    Reuters best for business news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Honestly, none of them are non-biased, the trick is to look up your information from as many possible and countering sources to find the truth. It takes a case by case search. Use all of them.

The Economist

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    there's this website in Belgium, "Krantenkoppen.be" that allows you to choose which newspapers you want to hear news from. i've already got my own newspaper (standaard), the science section of my own newspaper, ZDNet and Wired added, but i'm looking for a reputable English source as well.
    If you're talking print publications (as opposed to television), then The Economist wins - no other publication even comes close.

If you're talking about American television networks, none of them are reputable. They are there to entertain, not to inform and should never be relied upon for news about anything except stuff like car crashes and train derailments.

If you're looking for ideological viewpoints, then Fox is what in the USA is called conservative, while MSNBC is regarded as liberal and CNN is in between the two. However, things that are considered conservative in the USA aren't necessarily considered conservative in other countries, and vice versa, so you shouldn't make assumptions based only on those labels.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use ABC News, but they are still far from neutral from my experience.

Here is what you should really be asking yourself. When you read the news, are you the type of person to believe everything, or do you analyze and make a decision for yourself?

Every news source is biased one way or another and never ever, even under good intentions, tells the whole story. How can they? It is impossible. Honestly, I kind of lament when I hear people claim they have a good news source. It's all bad. Reporters are poor data taking devices.

Associated Press