Auto update DoTs

I read the front page saw them going on about how some DoTs are able to be updated as you run verses when you apply them. What do you guys think? Would you rather they all auto update or that they all were calculated upon application?

For me personally I would rather the auto update. It feels lack luster that unless the damage I would gain from the proc would mean either another tick or an extra ticks worth of damage reapplying them isn't worth it. It just makes proc trinkets feel less cool since the random nature of a proc can lead to it feeling like you never really gain from them.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Maybe blizzard should also allow some macro back in, so we only have to click one button during a fight; that ofcourse being the macro.

The macro itself will then decide which spell is best to cast for you, makes you move if needed and use abilities to survive in certain parts of the fight.

Or, no, wait...... I actually want to THINK in this game and decide what I think is best for me.

Stop making this game even less challenging please. If you can't even reapply buffs anymore........

Quote Originally Posted by Massiefje View Post
    Maybe blizzard should also allow some macro back in, so we only have to click one button during a fight; that ofcourse being the macro.

The macro itself will then decide which spell is best to cast for you, makes you move if needed and use abilities to survive in certain parts of the fight.

Or, no, wait...... I actually want to THINK in this game and decide what I think is best for me.

Stop making this game even less challenging please. If you can't even reapply buffs anymore........
    Oh look someone was a troll. They must be so proud.

It is a quality of life change verses I'm just lazy change. Having them all last 10 minutes would be lazy. Having them change according to what is happening to my character makes sense. Have a 2k haste proc? Damn you just updated the DoTs before that happened and it would be a waste. Rather just spam some filler.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.

15+ Year Old Account
    my question, say bloodlust lasts 40s, assumming we "drop everything" to recast DoTs upon BL being activated. it will take what 3s to cast them all? even if that means wasting ticks of the previously running DoTs.

but does that mean that if we cast all 3 DoTs in the last few seconds of BL that those DoTs will have the effect even after BL finishes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    but does that mean that if we cast all 3 DoTs in the last few seconds of BL that those DoTs will have the effect even after BL finishes?
    Yes, until they are refreshed.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    my question, say bloodlust lasts 40s, assumming we "drop everything" to recast DoTs upon BL being activated. it will take what 3s to cast them all? even if that means wasting ticks of the previously running DoTs.

The current state would leave us with a full haste buffed DoT. You however loose 3 gcd, maybe more depending if you have to cast something longer than your current gcd, and that could have been used on filler/another part of the rotation.

I'm not trolling. I just hate the fact that everyone wants to make the game even easier. No thinking needed. Buff this, nerf that, do this for me, give me that....

I am not a real vanilla player, so I'm not one of those "I want vanilla back", but I do hate the attitude of a lot of players where everything should become easier and less challenging.....

Quote Originally Posted by Massiefje View Post
    I'm not trolling. I just hate the fact that everyone wants to make the game even easier. No thinking needed. Buff this, nerf that, do this for me, give me that....

I am not a real vanilla player, so I'm not one of those "I want vanilla back", but I do hate the attitude of a lot of players where everything should become easier and less challenging.....
    How is it easier? You still refresh the same but they auto change. Procs in their current state are clumsy to factor in. There is a difference between making it easy and making items less shit.

Deleted
    For me personally I would rather the 'calculated upon application'. It would feel lack luster that the proc doesn't change in any way your gameplay. It just makes proc trinkets feel less cool since you could just ignore them and you would do the same DPS, it would lead to it feeling like you never really care having a proc.

15+ Year Old Account
    personally (not that i raided with it or anything due to this being the first time my lock has actually been max level) i prefered the lots of DoTs with no auto updates back when we had like 5 DoTs and the odd drain life . . .

not a massive fan of the SB spam though . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    How is it easier? You still refresh the same but they auto change. Procs in their current state are clumsy to factor in. There is a difference between making it easy and making items less shit.
    If you're using the word 'auto', it means it does stuff automatically. Automatic means no thinking....

The thing is: you don't have to use it, if you don't want it. If you want your maximum DPS and you have to reapply DOTs for that to work, you should do that. Blizzard should use 'auto-this' to give higher dps.

I feel some people are confused as to what were even talking about

On Application: A snap shot of your stats is taken the moment you apply a DoT, procs wont change the DoT at all.
    Pro: Procs can be pushed much longer by casting dots when you get a proc, then recasting when theres 1-2 seconds left on a proc.
    Con: It forces you to reapply DoTs on every proc in order for procs to be usefull in anyway

Auto Updating: A proc would instantly benefit your applied DoTs
    Pro: Dps rotation would flatten out and feel more fluid
    con: Would result in a lower skill cap, and an overall loss in damage(which could be retuned and fixed)

I like the on application method much more. It feels like you get to respond to your buffs and whats happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ice216 View Post
    I like the on application method much more. It feels like you get to respond to your buffs and whats happening.
    Exactly what I mean!