Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How do you guys decide which Severs to play on?

When playing BE3, I didn't know which server to choose and I started to wonder if choosing a specific server is really that important.
    I don't have any friends into GW2, they are into FF11/4 and Aion, so I'll most likely be playing GW2 by myself.
    So I'm wonder what server you chose and why? I know servers will matter based on how well it does in WvW but how would I know which servers are good?
    It feels odd just picking a server randomly.

Not related to gw2 but when I played swtor and rift I picked high pop servers, because there is more people obviously, but also easier to find a guild and whatnot, and groups for heroic quests in swtor.

Close my eyes and click.

But seriously, i guarantee once Anet releases servers available at release, we will have a thread here stating what servers are hosting what types of players/what regions/what guilds etc.

No need to worry just yet.

Basically.......best lag.....where friends are.

if you want a reason to choose one.....google sanctum or rall.

Deleted
    Before the first beta weekend event, there was a list on GW2insider stating which communities would go on which realms. Desolation seemed to have lots of english and pvp ones, which interested me. No idea if it will be like that on live, but I'll stay on Desolation mostly because I've been there since the start so why not :P.

You can visit anyone anyways, it only matters for WvW.

Deleted
    Well if you dont know certain people you want to play it, just go for a high populated one. You will be able to change server if you dont like it later, either through real cash or buying gems for ingame gold.
    If you do know some people or some kind of area in the world where people will hang out just search and ask away.
    I asked here in GW2 and found out about far shiverpeaks being the unofficial nordic server and I went there in beta and will go there at release as well. Will most likely be a highpopulated server and good fighting spirit in wvwvw

Deleted
    My dad only speaks French, so I wanted to be on a French server. Decided on Augury Rock because a lot of the FR community was there, and because it had a cool name.
    Will stick to that for release, but will visit the guys from Desolation for sure ;P

Is this list of servers correct? or were they for Beta? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    Close my eyes and click.

But seriously, i guarantee once Anet releases servers available at release, we will have a thread here stating what servers are hosting what types of players/what regions/what guilds etc.

No need to worry just yet.
    Thanks a lot guys, I'll pick a high pop and just pay to switch servers if I feel the need to. I can't wait. :'D
    Too bad, I won't be playing with my irl friends. But while playing other online games, I have met some great people that I do still keep in contact so that's great. Hopefully I'll have that privilege this time around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PropayneLOL View Post
    Is this list of servers correct? or were they for Beta? http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World
    That seems correct to me, based on the fact that there's sanctum of rall in it. Although they did say they'd be axing some realms, which would only be activated once the others got full, so the list might not be that big come release.

So I guess Aus is still sticking to Sea of Sorrows then, nice

10+ Year Old Account
    I have another question, I noticed that Desolation, which is the server some of you suggested, is a Euro server, and I'm in NA, wouldn't I have issues with lags, perhaps language too, but mostly my connection with other players?

Deleted
    This might be a great source soon to make server decisions. At least i hope so as i have no clue yet =))

http://www.gw2guilds.org/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Javey View Post
    I have another question, I noticed that Desolation, which is the server some of you suggested, is a Euro server, and I'm in NA, wouldn't I have issues with lags, perhaps language too, but mostly my connection with other players?
    The connections aren't too bad, but I think most of us answering you are EU. I know there's a US server with a lot of people from MMO in it but I can't really tell you which one it is

Eu is in germany and Na is in US Texus, so if you live in Aus like me it's not gonna be the best either way. As for language thats listed in the English section

There was a notice when I chose the server that I can only have my chars on one server and need to 'transfer' to another should I wish to switch (cant remember if a fee was mentioned). Is this going to be the same with the live game? What if I start playing and that server gets swarmed by russians or italians or some other nation that prefers to always speak in their language like it happened in wow :?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    The connections aren't too bad, but I think most of us answering you are EU. I know there's a US server with a lot of people from MMO in it but I can't really tell you which one it is
    Thanks, I'll continue doing research when we're closer to the release date. I should have mentioned first that I was in NA. :x

Deleted
    You can ping both servers:
    Frankfurt: 206.127.158.1
    Dallas: 64.25.39.1

Open a command prompt (cmd) and ping both.
    Quoting, because it was Mif.

Deleted
    pick a high pop server, you may get queues at lanch, but its preferable to being on a dead server 6months later.

I'll be on desolation as thats where I've been for the BWEs and stress tests, and we did well in wvwvw (undefeated!) and i met a load of people I'd like to keep playing with.

My main in CoH has had the title Slayer of Madness for years, and I really enjoyed the Plane of Torment in GW:Nightfall, and people say I'm quite mad, so Gate of Madness felt like a perfect fit.