10+ Year Old Account

Is Artifice worth keeping?

I maxed out Artifice on my first character, and I have cycled back to playing that character primarily now. However, I can't find much of a use for Artifice as there doesn't seem to be a need/want/availability of custom color crystals. Thus far Artifice seems even more worthless than Armstech. Should I just dump this profession or is it a hidden gem (pun intended) that I'm not seeing?

Well if you want it to make a lot of money there are probably better professions than Artifice. I personally keep it to supply my alts with crystals, hilts, and enhancements. Plus I just like to have professions of various types so whatever I need I can pretty much provide. Depending on your server some of the hilts and crystals still sell fairly well (like the +41 power color crystals) but I'd say the professions that make augments probably make more money at this point (if you have the high level augment patterns).

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I maxed out Artifice on my first character, and I have cycled back to playing that character primarily now. However, I can't find much of a use for Artifice as there doesn't seem to be a need/want/availability of custom color crystals. Thus far Artifice seems even more worthless than Armstech. Should I just dump this profession or is it a hidden gem (pun intended) that I'm not seeing?
    You can always RE-black hole enhancements and get the lvl 26 patterns -- do space dailies for mats and sell the results on on the AH. I don't know what the profit margins on that, but they seem to go for a fair bit on my server.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurobara View Post
    You can always RE-black hole enhancements and get the lvl 26 patterns -- do space dailies for mats and sell the results on on the AH. I don't know what the profit margins on that, but they seem to go for a fair bit on my server.
    I've been doing this, on average the mats cost 300-350k to make a level 26 enhancement and I've been selling them for anywhere from 500k-800k on my server. Banked about 3-3.5 mil so far (haven't been crafting hardcore, but snagged some extra profit by getting Molecular Stabilizer drops both from EC and from RE'ing other 26 enhancements to learn new patterns).

10+ Year Old Account
    AH HA! I did not realize it was possible to learn higher level Mods than the 49 Purples. I don't PvE right now, but I was planning to and this will help!

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    AH HA! I did not realize it was possible to learn higher level Mods than the 49 Purples. I don't PvE right now, but I was planning to and this will help!
    Just remember that RE'ing mods from level 50 gear ONLY works on level 26 mods (which is Black Hole/Campaign ilvl) or higher (which don't exist in game yet). So don't go off destroying Rakata mods trying to learn a pattern!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's a bummer. I think I might be better off leaving the money-making to my Slicers/Augmenters.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Bus View Post
    Just remember that RE'ing mods from level 50 gear ONLY works on level 26 mods (which is Black Hole/Campaign ilvl) or higher (which don't exist in game yet). So don't go off destroying Rakata mods trying to learn a pattern!!!
    When you say 'mods', does that apply to armoring/barrels/hilts and enhancements as well?
    And, if so, can I RE just the enhancement from a Black Hole piece of gear?

Quote Originally Posted by obiwannknowlton View Post
    When you say 'mods', does that apply to armoring/barrels/hilts and enhancements as well?
    And, if so, can I RE just the enhancement from a Black Hole piece of gear?
    You cannot RE the armoring that come in the black hole items (i.e. the ones that are bound to a specific slot) the drop items might be different. But you can RE the mods and enhancements from an item. Looks like you can do hilts and barrels too: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/gear/376...ielder-hilt-26

I.e. I got a token drop on my IA and the alacrity enhancement is total crap for him.. so I yank it out, drop it in a bound-to-Legacy orange item and send it to my Artificer Inq. to RE. It costs about ~60k creds to yank the enhancement twice, but the blue crafting item from the RE sell for ~$150-$200k or more if I use em to craft a power/surge enhancement. I need to finish cybertech on my BH so I can RE the mods I've been saving.