Page 1 of 2
LastLast

UPS not strong enough to keep Computer on after electricity failure

Hello everybody,

I have a computer:

Core i7-2600 CPU 3.4Ghz
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    Thermaltake armor a60 mid tower case with 3 fans one of them LED.
    Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB

This computer is connected to a 1000VA UPS, im not sure how much the PC consumes but I think the power supply is thermaltake 600W.

My issue lies here:

When the electricity goes off and Im playing a game with heavy graphics, the UPS can't keep my PC on for 1 sec, it immediately shuts off. However when Im just surfing the web, the UPS can keep my PC running for 15 min.

What am I missing here ? If the power supply of the PC is 600W it shouldnt consume more than that right ? Do I need to get even a bigger UPS ?

I appreciate your feedback

How many Ah (ampere hours) can the UPS store?

Deleted
    Isn't it called PSU and not UPS? Isn't UPS a delivery company? :P

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Un-interrupted Power Supply, a unit designed to store electricity and run any computer/s its connected to in case the power goes out.

It's a UPS, Uninterruptable Power Supply, my spelling might be off. Basically allows you to keep running your PC when their is a blackout. So you can safely turn off components and the like.

Aveline's amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by arth View Post
    What am I missing here ?
    On empty desktop power consumption is under 100W, possibly even below 50W. While you have game running and graphics card at 100% load it goes to almost 300W. 600W on the PSU just means maximum load, not average load.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninter...e_power_supply
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Uninterruptable Power Supply. It is basically a box with some lead-acid batteries in it that keeps the connected appliance running even in the event of a black-out, and they can also be used to "clean" the power, eliminating minor surges or dips in the electrical current which adds another layer of protection to the device.

good chance battery in ya UPS may be dead also.....

UPS stands for Uninterruptable Power Supply. Its basically an external backup battery usually built into a surge protector.

PSU stands for power supply unit. Its the device inside your computer which converts the alternating current from your wall socket into direct current that your computer can use.

---------- Post added 2012-07-24 at 06:59 PM ----------

I love how in the 30 seconds or so it took my to type my explanation of what a UPS was like 4 other computer nerds jumped on it

I am curious as to how bad the electricity is where you're at Arth. I mean, I know a UPS can be a good thing for lots of reasons, but when you say things like
    When the electricity goes off and Im playing a game with heavy graphics, the UPS can't keep my PC on for 1 sec, it immediately shuts off. However when Im just surfing the web, the UPS can keep my PC running for 15 min.
    You must have some bad electricity!

Aveline's amazing work!

10+ Year Old Account
    what is the exact model of your UPS?

Deleted
    You have some bad electricity! I suggest getting Corsair electricity, quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I am curious as to how bad the electricity is where you're at Arth. I mean, I know a UPS can be a good thing for lots of reasons, but when you say things like You must have some bad electricity!
    Could be testing. I did try to pull my UPS off the grid and see how long it actually runs. Only way to know for sure how much time you have to save your stuff when real powercut comes.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    How many Ah (ampere hours) can the UPS store?
    I'm not really sure, how can I know ?

The label or the manual should tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I am curious as to how bad the electricity is where you're at Arth. I mean, I know a UPS can be a good thing for lots of reasons, but when you say things like You must have some bad electricity!
    Indeed we have bad electricity. It goes off regularly alot !

But still anyone know why my 1000va model Invo ups can't keep the pc on ?

Quote Originally Posted by arth View Post
    Indeed we have bad electricity. It goes off regularly alot !

But still anyone know why my 1000va model Invo ups can't keep the pc on ?
    I would guess that is why people are asking for actual details, so perhaps actually providing such things as the capacity would help.

Edit: the following might prove useful.

http://www.powerstream.com/VA-Watts.htm
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2012-07-24 at 08:01 PM.

You can calculate the estimated running time from the ampere hours the device can store, the voltage of the output and the wattage that the device draws from the UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The label or the manual should tell you.

NP 7AH/12V x2