Thread: What Profession

What Profession

So i played in the last BWE and got to play Mesmer and Thief to about level 8~, but i could not judge well on how that class is going to turn out or anything. What professions so you guys plan on playing and can people expand on the professions. Like what they do, their dps, role in groups, pvp, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicry View Post
    So i played in the last BWE and got to play Mesmer and Thief to about level 8~, but i could not judge well on how that class is going to turn out or anything. What professions so you guys plan on playing and can people expand on the professions. Like what they do, their dps, role in groups, pvp, ect.
    Any profession's role in group is defined by... what utility skills they bring, what weaponsets they're wielding, and generally how much you don't suck at this game.

If you want to play a defensively oriented Mesmer, you absolutely can (though I personally think we have enough escape/immune mechanics as it is). That said, there's no reason to pick a class based on what their percieved role or "how much damage it does under certain optimum circumstances" (patchwerk) comparatively to others. Because this isn't patchwerk. The game's a whole lot different.

Look at what's fun, by level 7 you should already have a grasp on a good portion of the class, and whether or not you're going to like it. By level 10, if you don't, reroll into something else.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    I played a Greatsword/Hammer Guardian, and my damage with that Greatsword was insanely powerful. My dodge button made me near impossible to kill.

Find it funny that so many people say that Guardians can't do damage, and then I go pick up a Greatsword and slaughter everything. Or maybe they just buffed Guardian damage this BWE.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Answering about professions is quite difficult because a lot of folk are really enjoying a lot of them and finding it difficult to choose.

Even after playing solidly for 3 weekends I'm still not 100% sure (though have a real soft spot for the thief right now), feeling instead that I might hop between several of my favourites. At launch I'll probably create one of each and play through to level 10 just to be sure.

As for roles - as Kelesti said, these depend on how you choose to equip and spec your character...just do what you find most fun and work with that...but do keep in mind that, in a group, each character is expected and designed to do a bit of everything...deciding that you're only going to DPS and nothing else will be less than optimal.

Main: Elementalist. For me, I enjoy the stance dance between attunements and choosing the right skills to use at the right times that benefit both myself and any allies nearby. While I think their DPS could be a little higher, I think their utility more than makes up for it.

Alt: Warrior. Sometimes, you just need to take a medium/large blunt and/or sharp object and smash it into your opponents face. Repeatedly. Over and over and over and over again, even after the enemy's corpse has despawned, just to be sure. This is what the warrior does, and they do this well, usually with a smile.

Alt: Engineer. Sometimes, you just want to set stuff on fire and blow shit up, all while cackling maniacally. This is what the engineer does, though the cackling emote is missing. I bugged it.

Alt: Necromancer. Sometimes you want to be the Overlord, commanding your own little army of minions, watching them lay waste to the countryside, and eating sheep. Wait. Wrong game, but you get the idea.

Closing this down as we generally don't allow "What profession should I play" threads. If you have questions about a specific profession, feel free to use one of the profession threads (there's one for each profession).