15+ Year Old Account

[PvE][Feral] Cataclysmic Gladiator's Staff vs. 378 Thornwood Staff

Just a quick question: I never really knew the answer, does the DPS/damage on a weapon affect cat damage, or is it just purely a stat item like a weapon is to a caster?

In other words, should I use the higher item level/damage cataclysmic gladiator's weapon like I would on my DK, or should I use the 378 Thornwood staff that drops in Well of Eternity for PVE? (The rest of my gear is PVE/tier, I'm only wondering about the weapon until I get Kiril)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aetti morkna View Post
    Just a quick question: I never really knew the answer, does the DPS/damage on a weapon affect cat damage
    Yes.

(It changed a couple of times in the history of Wow even with some "in-between" options, but since Cataclysm, the answer is a simple: yes.)

And yes, you should almost always use the higher iLvl weapon, because weapon damage is a Cat's best stat, much better than secondaries.
    (The only current exception to this rule is 390 Kiril vs 391 heroic FL weapons -> the proc on Kiril is better than the 1 iLvl difference.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Thank you very much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by aetti morkna View Post
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Just to be sure : Cats use the DPS number (I think it's in brackets). Damage or speed have no effect.