Thread: GW2 and QUESTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    The proper way to level is to try to find events that have goals that coincide with goals outlined in hearts. That way you essentially get two rewards for a price of one. You should also remember to harvest everything you see and craft every ten levels of so. And preferably use exp boosts.

If you do all this, you likely won't need to grind events or WvW to not be underlevel for next zone. If you miss any of above, you likely will end up underlevel unless you grind the missing exp.

This is a point of view of a person who ended BWE3 at lvl39 with masterwork lvl35 req kit.
    *blink* Probably one of the only posts of yours I've truly liked. *thumbs up*
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Some of the DEs lacked a sense of solidity, IMO.

There was a few events where things just spawned until the bar filled. I guess it's a way of displaying information, but I feel that there should be a more worldly indication. Seeing the enemies ready to jump into the fray, seeing the corn hopper getting filled, seeing the poison disappearing... It's a missed opportunity to making the world feel real, and it's replacement is the bar filling. It's the same thing WoW used for some of it's MoP/Cata patch quests, and I didn't like it there much either. It's a bit better here because there's often more than one way to fill the bar, but it's still got a bit of a "modern school sports day" feel to it (i.e. everyone run up and down, cheer, everyone gets a rosette, nobody is a loser).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

There was a few events where things just spawned until the bar filled. I guess it's a way of displaying information, but I feel that there should be a more worldly indication. Seeing the enemies ready to jump into the fray, seeing the corn hopper getting filled, seeing the poison disappearing... It's a missed opportunity to making the world feel real, and it's replacement is the bar filling. It's the same thing WoW used for some of it's MoP/Cata patch quests, and I didn't like it there much either. It's a bit better here because there's often more than one way to fill the bar, but it's still got a bit of a "modern school sports day" feel to it (i.e. everyone run up and down, cheer, everyone gets a rosette, nobody is a loser).
    That's something that would be possible, ANet takes these types of suggestions literal and would be good to impose on them!
    I like the idea.

This is a point of view of a person who ended BWE3 at lvl39 with masterwork lvl35 req kit.
    For someone who is criticizing the game all the time you surely seem to be play it a lot

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by antonatsis View Post
    Since it seems even after all this time people havent figured it out lets say it again.

Quests in GW2 is not about doing hearts or personall story all the time.If you you do that you will end up to be outleveled by them.What you do is you roam the world and do events(no random mob grinding cause the XP is very low)You do those events while exploring(more xp)skill gathering(more xp)or gathering(more xp)and doing jump puzles(more xp)If you get bored the hearts are there to give you a more tupical look on questing and do some funny things(for instance the snowball throwing and the rabbit holes in norn area)That are there for you to relax and possibly get some nice item for you.

If you start playing the game with the mindset "Oh a heart is a quest i better do it" and ignore the events then you are playuing the game wrong.And no going to other zones to finish quests there is wrong too,its not desinged that way(althought it allows you to do so)If you choose to play taht way then you are missing the seling point of the game

So at launch when you see a "DE is nearby" go for it...there is no set path for you to follow if you dont want to do the main story or hearts...you decide how to play and what to play.At least that was the impresion i got fro mteh game(even thought iam the quest guy that will finish everything in the zone and then leave which lead me to over level the zone and being downsized :P but thats not an issue)

The reason i wrote this is because i saw people complaining about the lack of content to level up and that you are underleveled because herats run out and story quests are over leveling you.
    I explored EVERYTHING possibly for my level and did everything I came across and I was -still- underlevled. I had to do some events several times as I roamed around the area trying to be part of events I might've missed. THAT is not entirely fun, running back and forth, hoping to get to see a possible event. Because if you miss it, you miss the XP you need.
    But most of the time, I went into the next zone being 2-3 levels below it.
    But I figured out why that is: They want me to buy XP bonus stuff.

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 01:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    For someone who is criticizing the game all the time you surely seem to be play it a lot
    And how does that not make sense to you? He might still like the game. Infact I'd say he does. That doesn't mean he can't criticize it. Bloody hell...

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post

That's something I can agree with quite a bit. They're there and suddenly, they're not there. You should write that as a suggestion to them, I think that people may agree and it might be read by Anet. Not sure how much they can do to improve what you mention now, but later perhaps.

Nothing wrong with criticizing a game, if you want to make it better you need to voice your opinion, and ANet wants us to do that. Many things in this game have been added because we complained (like /say and inspection of personal gear).

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I explored EVERYTHING possibly for my level and did everything I came across and I was -still- underlevled. I had to do some events several times as I roamed around the area trying to be part of events I might've missed. THAT is not entirely fun, running back and forth, hoping to get to see a possible event. Because if you miss it, you miss the XP you need.
    But I figured out why that is: They want me to buy XP bonus stuff.[COLOR="red"]

And how does that not make sense to you? He might still like the game. Infact I'd say he does. That doesn't mean he can't criticize it. Bloody hell...
    I have no idea why some people are being under leveled, I have had several level 30s over the past few BWEs and I just explored. I gathered everything that was in my path (gathering gives a ton of exp), did -every- DE that I came across and stuck it out until the ones after it were over, and made sure I had 100% map completion and I was outleveling the content. Not once did I go into a new area (besides on my 1st toon and went to Kexxec Hills and went to the wrong side) and was under leveled. But that's just how my play experience was like, sometimes I had to do more DE's for certain toons or do more of the same ones because I was lucky or unlucky at RNG of finding them.

Also, that was a pretty bad way to put it ><

It's those of us who understand the game best due to playing it the most that are in best position to criticise its problems. We're the ones who get to see them in far greater detail then most of the residents of this forum.

Deleted
    I get you get alot of exp from alot of stuff and all that but I have had the feeling from all the bwe that I felt "forced" to do stuff to level up so I could progress trough lets say the personal story, or to the next place of hearts and events. Its not fun I love the rest of the game but I just really hope they see this, I said this on the forums aswell this weekend, that they had either to to raise the exp you gain from hearts and events...or lower tha exp you need to level up.

Its wonderful to have some choice..imo. Not everyone are crafters and explorers, we must all take that into consideration. There shouldn't be a "wrong way" to gain exp, just your way and how you want your level experience to be

And don't tell me "you don't get gw2 and its not for you" because that not the case

It's those of us who understand the game best due to playing it the most that are in best position to criticise its problems. We're the ones who get to see them in far greater detail then most of the residents of this forum.
    Well, by content and perspective because you played longer, yes. But it's not where you can gather all your information and you can't say you're more informed about the game if someone has played less than you just because of it.

But some of your criticism has been (way out there) to point that no one will pay attention to you or take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by yoomi View Post
    I get you get alot of exp from alot of stuff and all that but I have had the feeling from all the bwe that I felt "forced" to do stuff to level up so I could progress trough lets say the personal story, or to the next place of hearts and events. It not fun I love the rest of the game but I just really hope they see this, I said this on the forums aswell this weekend, that they either to to raise the exp you gain from hearts and events...or lower tha exp you need to level up.

Its wonderful to have some choice..imo. Not everyone are crafters and explorers, we must all take that into consideration. There shouldn't be a "wrong way" to gain exp, just your way and how you want your level experience to be

And don't tell me "you don't get gw2 and its not for you" because that not the case
    I don't understand by 'forced', every other mmo out there forces you farm and grind to hit max level to enjoy the game at it's fullest (end game PvP, Raiding, carrot on a stick content) while GW2 just wants you to -play- and leveling up just gets you a few extra utilities and complexity of your class.

I do agree though that personal story shouldn't be at certain levels, it should scale up with you and get harder if you're not good enough/high enough, but not to the point where you can do some quests at lvl 6 then requires you to be level 11 to get the next part done.

You're not actually going from heart to heart, there is not that much dead space in the game and most of it is covered with DE's and events you just might not be there for them at that point.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-07-25 at 12:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    I have no idea why some people are being under leveled,

First 2 BWEs I was underlevelled despite doing as near to 100% completion in zones as I could (bugged skill points notwithstanding), all the personal story, all the DEs I came across (some several times), gathering, some sPvP and a bit of WvWvW....I even used XP boosters for quite a bit.

But this BWE, running through the sylvari zone I ended up about the right level, though I did spend alot more time in WvWvW....which I dont really think should be required if you dont like PvP..

I think the issue is that DEs are such a big part, if you are unlucky and dont get many, or dont get the larger ones, you wont level as quickly as people who do. It can lead to a big discrepancy between how fast people level through the same zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Well, by content and perspective because you played longer, yes. But it's not where you can gather all your information and you can't say you're more informed about the game if someone has played less than you just because of it.

But some of your criticism has been (way out there) to point that no one will pay attention to you or take you seriously.
    I'm here to discuss and bring to people's attentions things that I'm concerned about in the game I enjoy and would like to enjoy longer then a couple of months after which it dies due to not delivering and losing most of its population.

Essentially I don't want SWTOR v2.

If you feel that some of my criticisms are "way out there" you're free to express, preferably in great detail, how and why they are "way out there".

Well, I'd say you can just choose what to do. But I think everybody wants to finish the areas 100% (got my best items (except those for karma) from those 100% treasure chests). Thus going for hearts is quite reasonable. It'd just be not so reasonable to run from heart to heart, because you think this is what you are supposed to do. There is a lot of options to gain XP. And if you like you could also lvl to 80 doing WvWvW only. The choice simply is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    First 2 BWEs I was underlevelled despite doing as near to 100% completion in zones as I could (bugged skill points notwithstanding), all the personal story, all the DEs I came across (some several times), gathering, some sPvP and a bit of WvWvW....I even used XP boosters for quite a bit.

But this BWE, running through the sylvari zone I ended up about the right level, though I did spend alot more time in WvWvW....which I dont really think should be required if you dont like PvP..

I think the issue is that DEs are such a big part, if you are unlucky and dont get many, or dont get the larger ones, you wont level as quickly as people who do. It can lead to a big discrepancy between how fast people level through the same zone.
    WvW isn't required, if you don't want to do it, don't.

Sadly, all I can say to this is RNG is RNG. There are some DE's out there that respawn to fast in my opinion in the early levels and should be reworked.

In the 15+ area for humans, the Hills, Centaurs go for a bridge, then you push them to a village, then kill their leaders, then their overlord and it resets within 3 to 5 minutes before I am even back over there to finish the heart or buy from the vendor. You could literally just grind that quest over and over and over because it never stopped replaying and would reset when you were done.

But remember, the starting areas really only are meant to have one or two (maybe some have more) events in them for simplicity sake so new players can get into the grove and learn how it's done.

But also, in the 3rd BWE they fixed exp and increased it for the starter areas and made leveling easier, which might be why you felt more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post

I dont know how or why but in the 2nd beta weekend...i was always almost 1 level infront of the zone level.And i was the guy that does all too...i kept being toned down to zone levels (1 level but what ever :P ) so maybe you missed things or something

The questing is fun but sometimes the events like rift get boring, I do fear what will happen once the game is out for awhile and no1 is in the starting areas and new players will have a heck of a time beating them

Quote Originally Posted by MilkmanSWG View Post
    The questing is fun but sometimes the events like rift get boring, I do fear what will happen once the game is out for awhile and no1 is in the starting areas and new players will have a heck of a time beating them
    Very unlikely to happen due to how scaling and experience work in the game. But we will see what happens.

I solemnly swear not to make any humorous remarks ever again

Well, to be serious for a change, I simply had a strong impression from your previous posts that you had a rather low persistent opinion of GW2 (to the point of disregarding some of your criticism as non-constructive). I am glad to see that I was wrong.

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 01:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MilkmanSWG View Post
    Well, there are different events. I doubt that people will return in flocks for the joy of repelling the bandits (yet again), but some events, like the infamous flame shaman (which was still kind of OP in BWE3 - which is good!) or the shadow behemot are always fun and I think that many high-level players will come back to experience them again. Besides, events kind of drag you in - if one happens to run near a farm attacked by the bandits, they will usually jump in and lend a hand. GW2 is rather good at abusing civil courage

Deleted
    I really like this approach. New, fresh and dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    But I figured out why that is: They want me to buy XP bonus stuff.
    This seems sorta dubious. You were under-leveled for what exactly?

I explored and cleared every map and dungeon in the BWEs before the wipe of the last beta and out leveled all the PVE content available. Level 50+. This last weekend I cleared all maps available and reached level 37 in just under /played 37 hours. That's roughly a level an hour over 2 1/2 days. I have screenshots to back me up on this.

I did not repeat DEs over & over. I did not level in PVP.

If one truly clears the maps they are well over level for proceeding content.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This seems sorta dubious. You were under-leveled for what exactly?

I explored and cleared every map and dungeon in the BWEs before the wipe of the last beta and out leveled all the PVE content available. Level 50+. This last weekend I cleared all maps available and reached level 37 in just under /played 37 hours. That's roughly a level an hour over 2 1/2 days. I have screenshots to back me up on this.

If one truly clears the maps they are well over level for proceeding content.
    This is why I am always confused when people don't understand what we mean when we describe how to level correctly and then complain that leveling is too hard instead of trying to understand what we are trying to say. @_@