Just finished new build, but no video output from motherboard or video card.

Hi, the title is pretty self explanatory. I just finished a new build and everything seems to be working fine, all the fans are on, and everything is connected to where it should be, I believe.

But, when I try to connect the computer to my monitor (used a variety of different combinations of outputs from both the motherboard and the video card), it says there isn't a signal.

Can anyone help with this?

My Build:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the monitor itself set to digital? My Samsung 22" wouldn't pick up my computer signal unless the Source was set to digital, Your monitor cable could be faulty have you tried with another cable?
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

My friend just completed a build where he got no video output do his monitor, and it turns out he forgot to plug the 12V connection to the motherboard. Is this the case? This connection is responsible for the power to the PCI and PCIe slots, so it is possible that you forgot it. Fans are powered by the 20+4 connector.

I've tried it with two different monitors and every video output on both my motherboard and video card.

Yes, the 12V connection is plugged in.

Still no video output

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you remember the 4-pin/8-pin connector for the CPU (not the CPU fan)? It's sometimes listed as "secondary motherboard power". Its placement on the motherboard has always made it something easy to overlook, even when it isn't your first build.

It is responsible for over half the topics I've seen with this problem:
    http://www.playtool.com/pages/veryold/eps4plus4.jpg

Edit: Saw your above post. It's difficult to say then, but in the past I've had similar issues twice. The first time, the power supply was faulty (but could power the fans for whatever reason). The second time, there were bent pins on a corner of the CPU socket (LGA1156). It turns out those specific pins just happened to be related to how the integrated graphics and PCI-E slots interact (well - that's my theory, but it was something along those lines), and both were disabled as a result. An old PCI video card worked and I could boot into Windows, but I obviously had to send it out for repair.
    Last edited by Simca; 2012-07-25 at 03:53 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

None of the components in my system are even getting warm, would that indicate a faulty PSU?