10+ Year Old Account

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 1.65v RAM

Hi

Since my last motherboard died. I purchased the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit (1.65v) While reading the reviews, I noticed the memory runs at 1.65v but the Ivy Bridge uses 1.5v RAM.

I've read that you can get away with using an XMP profile to achieve the 1.5v RAM requirements even with 1.65v memory.

Should I just return the RAM once it arrives and get 1.5v or do I run the risk of damaging my motherboard?

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylaa View Post
    Hi

Since my last motherboard died. I purchased the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 with Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit (1.65v) While reading the reviews, I noticed the memory runs at 1.65v but the Ivy Bridge uses 1.5v RAM.

I've read that you can get away with using an XMP profile to achieve the 1.5v RAM requirements even with 1.65v memory.

Should I just return the RAM once it arrives and get 1.5v or do I run the risk of damaging my motherboard?

Thanks
    You should generally be fine, however it is requesting more V from the IMC and RAM, whilst the RAM may take the difference generally without issue the bigger chance is that your IMC might degrade significantly faster, as technically it's like overclocking your memory with the added V strain.
    I would personally say that you should abide by Intel's restrictions as they aren't stupid, either lower the RAM V and probably speed or return it.

My personal option would be returning it and grabbing a proper one.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Either do as Evildeffy said and return it and get proper RAM, or if you know how, go into the BIOS and try running your RAM at 1333MHz@1.5v.

That's what I did and I've had 0 problems so far.

(And I did this over a year ago.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I've purely been using Kingston HyperX RAM for the past 5-6 years, only recently started to use Corsair Vengeance when I found out about their beautiful monster heatsinks, however why does Kingston's RAM go with 1.6v when the competitors use 1.5?

I've used the RAM you specified on my Sabertooth & they worked fine. (When the motherboard worked)
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Either do as Evildeffy said and return it and get proper RAM, or if you know how, go into the BIOS and try running your RAM at 1333MHz@1.5v.
    Definitely go this way Mylaa. Z77 is meant to be used with 1.5v or lower RAM, and even though 1.65v should work, it's really not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    however why does Kingston's RAM go with 1.6v when the competitors use 1.5?
    Money. Low voltage memory cost more.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is also odd. Why does the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 supported memory document use 1.65v ram including my model?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...Memory-QVL.pdf

If I were to buy 1.5v RAM what would be any good recommendations?
    Last edited by Mylaa; 2012-07-25 at 08:17 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mylaa View Post
    This is also odd. Why does the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 supported memory document use 1.65v ram including my model?

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...Memory-QVL.pdf

If I were to buy 1.5v RAM what would be any good recommendations?
    Motherboard support and CPU support are 2 different things.

As stated you probably CAN run that V without issues, but it'll very likely degrade your IMC on the CPU faster.
    As they are sensitive, and any degradation = System instability through the roof.

As for memory, Corsair Veangeance LP (Low Profile) should do you good.