Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

When Did Gamers Become So "Entitled?"

All I really have to ask is when did gamers think they have the right to sue game companies for not putting out a good product? I'm going to post a link and I realize it's more of a "false advertising" sort of complaint but this isn't the first time. People also planned to sue Blizzard about down time and EA for Mass Effect 3 failure to end.

I don't recall Time Magazine ever getting sued because they called some terrible movie a "masterpiece?" I just feel sad that video game companies put so much time, money, and effort into games just for heated backlash and threats of lawsuits.

Your thoughts forums? Try to remain civil now.

P.S. Here the link

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07...deceptive-mar/

10+ Year Old Account
    You're treading on thin ice man. EA isn't exactly....well received by the MMO-Champion community.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roberts282 View Post
    My thought is that it should be a criminal offense to lie in your lawsuits. They knew the game was always online when they bought it, filing a suit for deceptive marketing under those circumstances should carry hard time. A few months would be enough to make me happy.

Ha! Yea I'n not really a fan either but still that's why I don't go out and buy all their games. I played SW:TOR and hated it. But I never filed a lawsuit because of laggy servers.

I once saved up $50 to buy Zelda 2 for the NES, and slogged through that game to a crappy ending.

You know what I did? I dealt with it and moved on.

Kids these days.

When did paying customers stop being entitled to consumer rights? Advertising should be held to a standard.

I don't recall Time Magazine ever getting sued because they called some terrible movie a "masterpiece?"
    Not even comparable. An opinion piece in a magazine is just that.

15+ Year Old Account
    When I pay $69 fir a game I expect to get what I pay for.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Well it's one thing to be angry over a game you've purchased after being tricked by the company into thinking it's something totally different (like if Blizzard told people D3 would have zero online components the whole time), and that said thing that's different can affect your use of the product, like server downtime.

Unfortunately many people get angry over stuff they:

- Don't look into
    - look into but still purchase
    - think their interpretation of nebulous claims is the right one

And it's them who make the rest of us look bad.

All I really have to ask is when did gamers think they have the right to sue game companies for not putting out a good product? I'm going to post a link and I realize it's more of a "false advertising" sort of complaint but this isn't the first time. People also planned to sue Blizzard about down time and EA for Mass Effect 3 failure to end.

I don't recall Time Magazine ever getting sued because they called some terrible movie a "masterpiece?" I just feel sad that video game companies put so much time, money, and effort into games just for heated backlash and threats of lawsuits.

P.S. Here the link

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07...deceptive-mar/
    TaKe a good hard look at what blizzard gave its customers. Everything...

So now dispite where one goes you will find this mentality.

I'm glad I no longer play WoW.
    Last edited by Feardotwin; 2012-07-25 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Autocorrection...
    Evil is apart of all things, an essential energy of vile corruption. Evil manifests where Good thrives. You cannot have order without chaos. Nor, chaos without order.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    When did paying customers stop being entitled to consumer rights? Advertising should be held to a standard.

Not even comparable. An opinion piece in a magazine is just that.

Sorry I used it more in the sense of when a dvd comes out and they put "Time Magazine Calls it a masterpiece." on the box.

Because this is the "special generation" where everyone was brought up to believe they were special snowflakes. When you are raised to believe that the world will bend to your will growing up you begin to think that your opinion is the most precious thing on this planet and everyone is on their hands and knees to hear what you have to say. These people are essentially kids still never being exposed to how the world truly works. At least that's what I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushro View Post
    Because this is the "special generation" where everyone was brought up to believe they were special snowflakes. When you are raised to believe that the world will bend to your will growing up you begin to think that your opinion is the most precious thing on this planet and everyone is on their hands and knees to hear what you have to say. These people are essentially kids still never being exposed to how the world truly works. At least that's what I believe.
    Well said. And a majority of people other then the "instant gratification" generation would agree.
    Evil is apart of all things, an essential energy of vile corruption. Evil manifests where Good thrives. You cannot have order without chaos. Nor, chaos without order.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    It should, on the other hand people should never be allowed to sue for false advertisement based on things being exactly as they already knew they would be.. because that would mean the advertisement gave them the true story

Sorry I used it more in the sense of when a dvd comes out and they put "Time Magazine Calls it a masterpiece." on the box.
    Same thing. Still opinion, so still not even comparable. Unless they wrote that and TIME doesn't actually call it that, then the magazine would sue them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Which is what? What *you* believe you have paid for? Or what the company believes you have paid for?
    This answer can be answered easily, just ask yourself this question."Why do people buy games?" The answer is enjoyment.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    It should, on the other hand people should never be allowed to sue for false advertisement based on things being exactly as they already knew they would be.. because that would mean the advertisement gave them the true story
    And who's doing that? No, nameless internet posters don't count.

10+ Year Old Account

It's the free market at work. Companies deserve to get F*%#$ if they can't deliver.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    I once saved up $50 to buy Zelda 2 for the NES, and slogged through that game to a crappy ending.

You know what I did? I dealt with it and moved on.

Kids these days.
    This. I agree with this statement. Kids today are so spoiled and don't appreicate games like us old gamers.

If Christopher Nolan came out and told the public that Poison Ivy will be in TDKR .. And then movie day rolls around, everyone is super excited to see who will portray her and what involvement she will have on the story ... Then 2hrs 45mins later, No Poison Ivy, I'm sure Nolan would be getting a Ton of Hate.

It's basically what happened with Mass Effect 3. The DEVELOPERS and WRITERS came out and said, "It will not end with a A, B or C choice" ... Or "Rachni will have a HUGE effect on the game" ... "The game will have WILDLY different endings, 16 completely different endings" ...

Nek Minnit... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTZyorJVeqI)

The game DOES End in a A,B,C choice ... The Rachni have NO effect on the game except for an Arbitrary number ... And the game has 1 Ending with a Colour Palette change depending on which A,B,C choice you make and has TINY differences depending on your EMS.

There's one thing to build Hype for a game .. But it's something else entirely when you BLATANTLY LIE to the people who make you profitable and people who are your Fans.

If Developers just used proper good ol PR and made statements like, "X will be Amazing" or "This will blow your mind away"... Then when we play it, all we can say is, "Well that was disappointing, can't believe they made it sound so good". But when they get so specific about aspects of the game, you HAVE to assume they believe in what they're saying and that they would have a good reason for saying it. That reason being that they've ACTUALLY IMPLEMENTED IT, and they know that what they're saying is actually in the game and not a lie.

For a game company to completely lie to their consumers and then we get angry because what they promised us isn't in the game and then we get called Entitled?? Fuck off. Don't make Promises you can't keep.

Still not the same. Regardless of what Time Magazine calls it, it is still an opinion. Now, if the Box for said DVD stated "complete with 6 hours of bonus behind the scenes footage" and no matter where you look, you can only find 5 and a half hours of Behind the Scenes footage, then it would be comparable.

That is the main reason EA got so much slag for ME3. They outright claimed that all your actions and branching choices would have measurable impact on driving the story to a relatively unique conclusion to each possible branch in the decision tree throughout the entire game series, and instead, no matter what you did, you ended up with an ending that boiled down to 3 shitty choices (that your actions had pretty much 0 impact on) that a gradeschool level choose your own adventure book would have been ashamed to use for an ending.

They basicly marketed the game to the fans of the franchise by going "Hey, all your choices matter, they are super important" and then when people actually played the game, they came out of the closet and went "Remember when we said your choices matter, well, they actually dont. Suck it up and deal". Which is most players minds was about as close to false advertising as you could get.